Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
This topic is about The Way of Kings
May - Way of Kings > Chapters 58-64

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (last edited May 12, 2020 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
This is the calm before the highstorm.

DALINAR

This section starts off with Adolin dueling for his father's and house's honor. Dalinar sits in the crowd watching with the king and Sadeas. Dalinar tells Sadeas a story from The Way of Kings. By the end of the duel, Dalinar has even the king thinking. As Adolin wins, Dalinar decides to use Sadeas' bridges in the next fight so that both armies can get there quicker.

Dalinar also has a vision of talking to Nohadon, the author of The Way of Kings. Dalinar expects him to be a man of peace, but Nohadon scoffs at the idea of writing a book. Rather he says peace must be accomplished with the sword. After the vision ends, Navani says that Dalinar was speaking in Dawnchant, the lost language of the days of the Heralds. This is a major breakthrough and can help translate the language. Afterwards, Dalinar and Navani makeout. Enough said.

I was really excited to see dueling in this book. I forgot it's in this book, though it is featured far more in the next book, Words of Radiance.

I also liked the quote from Nohadon: "To be human is to want that which we cannot have."

Do you agree with Nohadon's quote?

--------------------------------------------

KALADIN

Teft lectures Kaladin about the First Oath of the Knights Radiant, the oath that was the same for all the orders of knights:
Life before death.
Strength before weakness.
Journey before destination.

Then they found out that they will be on bridge runs everyday and their chasm duty at night. The injuries and deaths are going to go up. That night, Kaladin makes a ladder with rocks and stormlights and climbs a wall. BECAUSE HE CAN, DANG IT. Kaladin has a plan to save his friends.

And it is nuts.

He dresses in the skeletal armor/carapace of dead Parshendis to violently upset the Parshendi archers on their next bridge run. Kaladin plays "pierce me if you can" with the archers, leading to all the bridges being placed without any deaths. Of course, Kaladin isn't rewarded for this. Alethi capitalism. Also, during the battle, Dalinar ends up saving Bridge Four from some resentful Parshendi.

Does the First Oath speak to you?
Why do you think this oath is the foundation for all other oaths, for all orders?
What does the First Oath do/allow/give/enable?
(There's a big hint in this section.)

message 2: by Amanda (last edited May 20, 2020 10:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
Dalinar:

I really liked the scene with Nohadon. It seems that Dalinar thought he didn't learn much from that vision, but I imagine something will come out of it. His speaking a dead language (especially since he is not able to read or write) when he came out of the vision was cool. I think Nohadon's quote lines up really well with Christian teaching on the sin nature. We often sin because we want what we can't have.

Kaladin:

Teft's lecture on the First Oath really struck me. Two highlights I made in this section: Living is harder than dying.... Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service. The First Oath appears to be about serving others and protecting the weaker. Protect life, use your strength to serve, do everything in a way that you can be proud of later.

Kaladin's return to his religion also really hit home. The life of a slave made it difficult for many to believe that anyone, or anything, was watching. Yet many bridgemen had grown more religious during their captivity. Two groups, opposite reactions. Did this mean some were stupid and others were callous, or something else entirely? I think the difference is that slaves suffer but bridgemen face the very real and immediate possibility of death every few days. Bridgemen are thrown into a place where they have no hope of an improved situation, so they look beyond themselves to find some kind of hope. This is something we see a lot around us, too, as some people suffer and get hardened against anything of God while other people suffer (sometimes even more) and yet turn to God for hope and peace.