EDUT 522 (Ramsey Musallam) discussion

Please share the (4) emerging technology books you located on GoodReads and which book you have decided to read and report on for this course. Provide a brief explanation of your choice.

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ramsey (last edited May 12, 2020 06:38PM) (new)

Ramsey Musallam | 2 comments Mod
Reply below.

message 2: by Amanda (last edited May 17, 2020 09:09PM) (new)

Amanda | 1 comments I was really excited to use Goodreads! I have seen it on Amazon as an extension but have never explored the platform. There were so many book choices. I was torn between which of the four would be my first choice. All of the books that I chose had a common theme of how will technology effect the future? The book I chose to read was, “The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever'' I chose this book because after reading the summary I was intrigued and wanted to read more. Another positive of this book was that it was extremely affordable.

message 3: by Ramsey (new)

Ramsey Musallam | 2 comments Mod
Test

message 4: by Lilia (last edited May 16, 2020 12:30PM) (new)

Lilia | 2 comments This will be my first time using Goodreads, and I am really looking forward to it. I initially chose to read the book "Soonish" by Kelly and Zach Weinersmith because it had high reviews, it was inexpensive, not too long, and it seems to be a great read. It is a mixture of science, technology, and humor. I was not sure how academic it was, so I chose to read "Best Practices for Teaching With Emergent Technologies." I decided that it would be more beneficial for my teaching. Most of the books in my collection are about emergent technologies but are not specific to the classroom setting. I chose them because they seem like engaging and fun reads about emergent technologies.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Roloff | 3 comments I have never heard of Goodreads before, and I find the site a little confusing. So if I make a few mistakes, my apologies!
I selected several books that had a common theme of integrating technology in curriculum and the classroom. I ended up choosing a book that will cover technology in school in general. I felt that it would provide a good overview of the fundamentals, and would back what I have learned from the Concordia program. The books I am actually more interested in, are on the "want to read" category. These books focus on technology integration for Social Science. I think that there are so many great ideas that I would be able to bring to my students, but I need more content-specific training. I hope that these books will help!

message 6: by Henry (new)

Henry Nguyen | 3 comments When thinking about what books I wanted to look into further to better my teaching practices, I started thinking about what is happening now in education and what could happen in the near future. This is when I started thinking about distance learning and what I am currently doing and what I could be doing. That is why I chose books that offered insight into distance learning itself and also teaching practices that revolve around emerging technology. For instance, the book I will be reading mentioned utilizing social media and I have always heard how social media is bad because students are always on it but considering the current situation, it might not be so bad. I want to leverage the power of social media and create a sense of community with my students, especially if distance learning continues. Overall, the I think the book I chose will provide me with information that can be used in my classroom now and into the future. I can't wait to dive into it!

message 7: by Erinn (last edited May 15, 2020 10:29AM) (new)

Erinn | 2 comments I chose to read The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever. This book appealed to me because of our situation with COVID 19 and not knowing what the next school year will look like. I am hoping to get some useful tips that I can pass on to my colleagues and friends. I am also interested in this book because I have two children that will be entering high school in a few years and I think this book might help prepare me for some drastic changes that are taking place in higher education. The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever
I was also interested in reading the following books:
Reignited 2: Emerging Technologies of Tomorrow
Emerging Technologies in Distance Education
Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies

message 8: by McKenna (new)

McKenna Myers | 1 comments I am reading Rewiring Education: How Technology Can Unlock Every Childs Potential by John Couche and Jason Towne. I chose this book because I am interested in how technology can be used effectively in classrooms from a student perspective. I am hoping to find some ideas about how to do this in the book. I know that the author is an Apple guy so it may be biased toward Apple products but I'm still hoping for a good read.
The other books I picked include:
Integrating Educational Technology Into Teaching by Margaret Roblyer
From Blogs to Bombs: The Future of Digital Technologies in Education by Mark Pegrum
Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology by Allan Collins

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine Combs | 1 comments Ramsey wrote: "Reply below."

I got a little overexcited and chose more than four books, but I'll limit my reponse here to the ones that interest me most.

First, the book I chose to read is DITCH THAT TEXTBOOK, by Matt Miller. I chose this book for two reasons. First, I happen to have a physical copy of the book at home that's been collecting dust since I brought it home from school at the start of school closure. I brought home a number of books thinking I might have time to read them, but I didn't. Second, for practical and financial reasons I do not see any large-scale emerging technologies actually entering my classroom before I retire due to the economic crisis we are about to enter--I do, however, loathe our textbook, and my mission this summer will be to figure out how to develop new and engaging lessons that have little to do with the textbook and everything to do with what is actually happening in the world.

The other books I included on my list are:

2. WHAT CONNECTED EDUCATORS DO DIFFERENTLY, a book tht delves into the wonders of social media in education.
3. LAUNCH, a book that discusses the importance of creativity in the classroom--specifically designing lessons where students problem solve or create.
4. BOLD SCHOOL: OLD SCHOOL WISDOM + NEW SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY = BLENDED LEARNING THAT WORKS, a book about using technology in a blended learning environment with an "old school" methodology.

message 10: by Susanna (new)

Susanna Holden | 1 comments I hope I'm doing this right, but I chose my book because it was near the top of the list for emerging educational technologies. I think it will be a good resource. Not that much thought went into it, and for the other books I just sort of chose whatever seemed relevant. I hope I can change which book I choose because I'm more interested in other teaching books but they don't necessarily revolve around technology.

message 11: by Micaela (new)

Micaela Rodriguez | 2 comments I had a little trouble selecting a book to read. There were so many good choices, then as I began adding classmates as friends, which I'm still not done with, I saw some really good recommendations. I actually purchased one right away when I first started searching on my own, but realized it wasn't a good fit for me. I saw another classmate is reading it, so I'm looking forward to their perspective on the book. I found another book that was both affordable and caught my attention. The book I selected to read is Emerging Technologies in Distance Education written by George Veletsianos. I resonated with the introduction of the book because it stated often teachers are asked to use emerging technologies without even really understanding what it means and this reminded me of all that is going on with distance learning right now. I am interested to see how the book helps me to understand what emerging technologies means and how I can implement and practice related concepts as an educator. The other books I selected are:
Distance Education Innovations and New Learning Environments: Combining Traditional Teaching Methods and Emerging Technologies
The Monsters of Education Technology
Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies

message 12: by Sinatra (last edited May 17, 2020 05:22PM) (new)

Sinatra Yeng | 1 comments There are so many books to chose from, but after reading different reviews of different books and reading many different samples, I chose Rewiring Education by John Couch. I chose this book because this author is one of Steve Jobs' trusted engineers and executives. Couch's perspective on technology in education interests me because he speaks from 50-plus years of experience in the field. In this book, he aims to teach his readers how to unlock the potential in every child through technology. My other four choices were:
(1) Grown Up Digital: How the Net Generation is Changing Your World and
(2) Disruptive Classroom Technologies: A Framework for Innovation in Education.
(3)What Connected Educators Do Differently
(4) Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student In Every Class

message 13: by Sam (last edited May 17, 2020 06:21PM) (new)

Sam | 2 comments I have heard of Goodreads before but had never been on the website and I honestly found it quite confusing. Hopefully I did everything I needed to do after a few tries. Searching for books on emerging technologies was interesting. I found the four that seemed the most interesting to me and then narrowed it down from there. The book that I chose to read first is Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies. I think the book will be helpful in that it will give the best ways to do things that we as teachers are already doing. So much has also changed with the shift into distance learning and many of us not knowing what our next school year will look like. I think the book will help me be better prepared for next year and the following. The other books I put on my list are
2.) Emerging Technologies in Distance Education
3.) Ditch That Textbook: Free Your Teaching and Revolutionize Your Classroom
4.) Rewiring Education: How Technology Can Unlock Every Student's Potential.

message 14: by Tiana (new)

Tiana | 3 comments I am excited to use Goodreads. I have been using Goodreads to insipire my students to read diverse books, but I love that I can now be part of our Goodreads PLN. The book that I chose to read first is "Teach Boldly: Using Edtech for Social Good". This book excited me because I am very interested in using educational technology to not only teach my students but to promote social advocacy. The other books I put on my emerging technologies book shelf are:
- The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting
-Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything
- Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies

message 15: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Martinez-Gonzalez | 1 comments I have never heard of Goodreads. It took me a while to explore all of the different options on here. I like how it is easy to connect with people who have read a book I am looking to read. It is nice to be able to get feedback within this community. The book that I chose to read is Teaching the four C’s with technology because it has good ratings and I think it is important to think about incorporating creativity and communication skills. This is something that I prioritize as an educator and I don’t want that to die down just because we are currently teaching online. I want to learn new ways to teach the critical skills that our kids need today with the use of technology. The books on my list to read later are Using Technology to Teach Information Literacy, Teaching English with Information Technology, and Ditch that Textbook.

message 16: by Gina (new)

Gina Guerrero | 2 comments I started using Goodreads last year after a teacher recommended it. I haven't kept up with using it, but I plan on using this opportunity to motivate me. I like Tiana's idea of encouraging students to use Goodreads. It can be part of my participation points and encourage students to read more. Maybe a competition to see who reads the most books and receives a prize.

The four books I chose are Digital Citizenship in Schools, Small Teaching Online, Teaching in the Online Classroom, and 50 Things You Can Do With Google Classroom. I have been using Google Classroom for the past 2 years, but I know there is so much more I can do with it. For that reason, I am choosing the last book to focus on for my book report. I want to learn new ways to differentiate my instruction online and give my students choices.

message 17: by Jimmy (new)

Jimmy | 3 comments This is my first time using good reads. I am excited to get ideas on books I can read to improve my practice.

I was looking for books that would provide me with information, tips, or strategies that I can implement right away. I was excited to see some books that are math specific. The books I chose to add to my book shelf for later reading are:

The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting
The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12 Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting by Douglas Fisher

Teaching Math with Google Apps: 50 G Suite Activities
Teaching Math with Google Apps 50 G Suite Activities by Alice Keeler

Teaching in the Post Covid Classroom: Mindsets and Strategies to Cultivate Connection, Manage Behavior and Reduce Overwhelm in Classroom, Distance and Blended Learning
Teaching in the Post Covid Classroom Mindsets and Strategies to Cultivate Connection, Manage Behavior and Reduce Overwhelm in Classroom, Distance and Blended Learning by Grace Stevens

The book I chose to read is:
The Virtual Classroom: Creating Distance Learning Experiences in Math for K-8 Learners.
The Virtual Classroom Creating Distance Learning Experiences in Math for K-8 Learners. by Patricia Dickenson

I chose this book, because is it very relevant to my teaching experience. Since we are doing distance learning for the foreseeable future, I wanted to put practice what I am reading about. I hope to gain some ideas from this book to give my students genuine learning experiences during this time.

message 18: by Mary Grace (new)

Mary Grace Meneses (marygracemeneses) | 3 comments Music Education with Digital Technology

Practical Music Education Technology

Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything

The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever

I have chosen "Ten Emerging Technologies" because I would like to try and test these out to see if it could help me through my online music classes and see for myself if I could use some of these technologies now or later. I would also love to share my review on these technologies. It is also my first time using this platform. It is interesting so far. I like how you can discuss the different books listed like a book club.

message 19: by Mary Grace (last edited Aug 23, 2020 06:43PM) (new)

Mary Grace Meneses (marygracemeneses) | 3 comments Mary Grace wrote: "Music Education with Digital Technology

Practical Music Education Technology

Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything

The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever

I am changing my chosen book!
"The Future of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever" has practical ways on how to use emerging tech in the classroom. It is more useful rather than find random tech that may or may not benefit teachers. I will gladly share my view on this and use it proactively in my virtual music classroom.

message 20: by Silbana (new)

Silbana Uribe (silbanamar) | 2 comments Hello,

These are the five books that appealed to me the most.

1. Education in a Digital World: Global Perspectives on Technology and Education by Neil Selwyn
2. Leading the E-Learning Transformation of Higher Education: Meeting the Challenges of Technology and Distance Education
by Gary E. Miller, Meg Benke, Bruce Chaloux, Lawrence Ragan, Raymond Schroeder, Wayne Smutz, Karen Swan
3. Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections (The TEC Series)) by Allan Collins, Richard R. Halverson
4. Mega-Schools, Technology and Teachers: Achieving Education for Allby John Daniel
5. Education and Technology: Key Issues and Debates by Neil Selwyn

I have chosen to read Education and Technology: Key Issues and Debates by Neil Selwyn because as a teacher it has been evident to me how technology has impacted education, however, I would like to read a book that might give me a more critical perspective on the topic. It seems easy to say that technology is changing education forever, however, I would like to review more in detail how other human aspects as socialization are impacted by it.

-Silbana

message 21: by Yeseida (new)

Yeseida De La Torre | 1 comments Hello,

I am new to good reads, and I am excited to get ideas on books I can read to grow professionally. The four books that I chose to add to my bookshelf are:

- Shake Up Learning: Practical Ideas to Move Learning from Static to Dynamic
- Remixing the Curriculum: The Teacher's Guide to Technology in the Classroom
- The Google Infused Classroom: A Guidebook to Making Thinking Visible and Amplifying Student Voice
- What Connected Educators Do Differently

I decided on these books because I am looking for tips, ideas, or strategies that I can start implementing into my lessons immediately, and these books seem to be full of great ideas. The book that I chose to read first is "Shake Up Learning: Practical Ideas to Move Learning from Static to Dynamic". The book title caught my attention right away, and by looking at the chapter titles, it seems to present tips and strategies straightforward to help educators make the most of technology.

message 22: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Aburto | 1 comments I am excited to use goodreads for a course. I have used it before, but never to connect with others! I have always used it to keep track of books I've read and to look for recommendations. I find the comment section really useful and the quote section because it's a good way to get a preview of the writing style and themes before reading.

The book I chose to read for this course is called, "The Alignment Problem: Machine Learning and Human Values." It discusses the issue of bias in the AI systems we build. I teach a computer science class and we recently completed a lesson where we practiced programming a robot and discussed the idea that AI is programmed differently than say a website. AI relies on data and data has bias depending on who is programming it. In the book, they address how the way we teach the systems we are building can have tremendous implications and the complexity of designing algorithms that are "fair".

I am also interested in reading "User Friendly", "My Robot Gets Me" & "What to Expect When You're Expecting Robots" which have similar themes of studying technology from an ethical lens.

message 23: by S. Elise (last edited May 13, 2021 05:25PM) (new)

S. Elise DeCarolis (elisedecarolis) | 1 comments I got a little lost when choosing my books because there were so many good ones out there. I ended up picking more than I needed to just because I didn't want to forget when I have the time to read others. The books that were at the top of my list include;

Tech Like a Pirate: Using Classroom Technology to Create an Experience and Make Learning Memorable by Matt Miller

Make Learning Magical: Transform Your Teaching and Create Unforgettable Experiences in Your Classroom by Tisha Richmond

The Distance Learning Playbook, Grades K-12: Teaching for Engagement and Impact in Any Setting by Douglas Fisher

Actionable Gamification: Beyond Points, Badges, and Leaderboards by Yu-kai Chou

All of these books sounded interesting to me, especially Tech Like a Pirate: Using Classroom Technology to Create an Experience and Make Learning Memorable because I read that it has beginner ideas for tech in the classroom and right now, that is what I need. I have been trying new things, but being at a new school has made it tricky to try too much as I am learning the school as well. I was also intrigued by Actionable Gamification beyond Points Badges and Leaderboards because I teach at the high school level part of the time and it is sometimes difficult to get buy-in for badges. I am hoping this will give me some insight on other methods.

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Kozubal | 1 comments After exploring the books that classmates shared and the ones that I found on my own, there were many that I wanted to add to my bookshelf to read this summer. The courses in this program have taught us to use technology meaningfully, and I want to learn more from sources like these books available on how to do that for my students next year. I chose to focus on books to add to my list that looked at technology from different angles. Thinking of using it for social justice, tech's role in education, creating authentic lessons, the digital revolution, and new technology emerging. I want to learn about how we as educators can develop a pedagogy the aligns responsibly with technology. The following are the books that I have added to my to-read list for now:

1. The Interactive Class: Using Technology to Make Learning More Relevant and Engaging in the Elementary Classroom
2. Teach Boldly: Using Edtech for Social Good
3. Failure to Disrupt: Why Technology Alone Can't Transform Education
4. Learning First, Technology Second: The Educator s Guide to Designing Authentic Lessons
5. Tech Like a PIRATE: Using Classroom Technology to Create an Experience and Make Learning Memorable
6. Rethinking Education in the Age of Technology: The Digital Revolution and Schooling in America (Technology, Education--Connections) (Technology, Education - Connections
7. Soonish: Ten Emerging Technologies That'll Improve and/or Ruin Everything

I chose the first one on this list to read for the course: The Interactive Class: Using Technology to Make Learning More Relevant and Engaging in the Elementary Classroom by Joe Merrill. I picked this book since I knew it targeted elementary students, and I wanted a book that did not present too complex of technology for my age group. I also think that technology has the power to add a lot of engagement to a lesson, so I was curious what the book would present. I read in the comments that the author discusses how the brain works, planning lessons, setting up the classroom, becoming a connected educator, and gives specific application ideas. It sounded like a great book to launch my technology planning for next year.
I look forward to reading it!

message 25: by Pilar (new)

Pilar Lopez-Hernandez | 1 comments The 4 Emerging Technology books I chose are:
1. Ditch that Textbook
2. Ditch that Homework
3. Best Practices for Teaching with Emergent Technologies
4. Don't Ditch that Tech

I chose them because I want to read about innovative, engaging, and revolutionary education ideas and technology tools to implement with my students in my classroom.

message 26: by Iris (last edited May 16, 2021 12:38AM) (new)

Iris Fisher | 1 comments Exploring Goodreads I came across several book titles that caught my attention. I selected five of them that I believe will provide helpful advice on how to better implement technology in the classroom. The books that I chose had good ratings and helpful reviews that made me more confident in selecting them. I had opened a Goodreads account years ago but did not really use it much. I am hopeful and excited to be able to explore this platform to help me find some good books that will help me improve my pedagogy. The books that I added are:

1. Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies by Michelle Pacansky-brock
2. Creating Innovators: The Making of Young People Who Will Change the World by Tony Wagner
3. Creative Schools: The Grassroots Revolution That's Transforming Education by Ken Robinson, Lou Aronica
4. Small Teaching Online: Applying Learning Science in Online Classes by Flower Darby, James M. Lang
5. Intentional Tech: Principles to Guide the Use of Educational Technology in College Teaching by Derek Bruff

The first book I will be reading will be Best Practices for Teaching with Emerging Technologies. I think this book will be helpful in providing strategies to implement technology in the classroom. I am looking forward to learning different ways that can be helpful in implementing emerging technologies to better serve my students.

message 27: by Marely (new)

Marely Nill | 1 comments Integrating Technology in the Classroom: Tools to Meet the Needs of Every StudentThe four books I found on Goodreads are Creativity, Technology & Education: Exploring their Convergences (S[ringerBriefs in Educational Communications and Technology) by Punya Mishra, DON'T Ditch That Tech: Differentiated Instruction in a Digital World by Matt Miller, Remixing the Curriculum: The Teacher's Guide to Technology in the Classroom by Elizabeth Stringer Keefe, and Integrating Technology in the Classroom by Boni Hamilton. I have decided to do the book review on Integrating Technology in the Classroom by Boni Hamilton. This book gives access to ideas of digital tools and projects to support student needs but that also fit the individual teacher's teaching style. Included are many teacher success stories on incorporating technology in the classroom. Each chapter presents ideas by increasing difficulty so it can benefit a novice or advanced tech-savvy teacher.

message 28: by Danica (new)

Danica | 1 comments Hello Everyone! I have never heard of GoodReads before this week and I am really excited to get to use this platform. I love reading and this is an amazing platform and opportunity to easily share books and see what others are reading as well.

Some of the books that I have chosen to add to my “want to read” list are
Teaching in the Online Classroom: Surviving and Thriving in the New Normal by Doug Lemov
Learning First, Technology Second: The Educator’s Guide to Designing Authentic Lessons by Liz Kolb
The Interactive Class: Using Technology to Make Learning More Relevant and Engaging in the Elementary Classroom by Joe Merrill
Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools by Michael B. Horn
Failure to Disrupt: Why Technology Alone Can’t Transform Education by Justtin Reich
Teach Boldly: Using Edtech for Social Good by Jennifer WIlliams

The book that I have chosen to read for this course is “The Interactive Class: Using Technology to Make Learning More Relevant and Engaging in the Elementary Classroom” by Joe Merrill. This book looks at the incorporation of technology into the elementary classroom. As a Kindergarten teacher, this really interests me. When looking at many books for this course, I was seeing that a great deal the books focused on technology in higher education. Therefore, the focus of this book seems as though it will be extremely useful to my grade level. Additionally, it includes many strategies and ideas for interactive lessons that integrate technology which I find really interesting and am excited to read so that I can begin planning to incorporate those ideas into my classroom.

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 1 comments I chose to read:
Balance with Blended Learning Partner with Your Students to Reimagine Learning and Reclaim Your Life by Catlin R. Tucker Balance with Blended Learning: Partner with Your Students to Reimagine Learning and Reclaim Your Life

I am excited to learn about creating structures in my class that will allow for me to emphasize mastery learning. This will really help with my AP Computer Science A students. In the last several years teaching the class I have seen students just check the boxes to get the grade, but not really understand. I am hoping I can use what I learn in this book to change that!

message 30: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (oliviaaburto) | 1 comments I haven't been on Goodreads in years! It was interesting to come back to my book lists from when I was in high school and early college.

The books I looked at wereSynthetic Worlds: Emerging Technologies in Education, Emerging Technologies for Steam Education: Full Steam Ahead, and Distance Education Innovations and New Learning Environments: Combining Traditional Teaching Methods and Emerging Technologies.

I selected The Future Of Higher Education: How Emerging Technologies Will Change Education Forever because it seemed most centered on suggesting best practices and tying the analysis of artificial intelligence not only to education but to the world at large.