Into the Forest discussion

Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
This topic is about Dragonflight
Ghosts and Other Monsters > Dragonflight, No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new) - added it

Margaret | 3491 comments Mod
Let's discuss Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey, no spoilers.

message 2: by Margaret (new) - added it

I'm disappointed my library doesn't have this one on audio. Depending on how busy my reading schedule is, I'll read this in June.

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments I actually just read this one last month.

message 4: by Margaret (last edited May 12, 2020 08:13PM) (new) - added it

Looks like you enjoyed it too! I'm kinda surprised I missed this series in my teens. I read sooo many epic fantasy series. I mean, I still do, but this was exactly the kind of thing I imagine I would've gotten lost in.

In junior high, my Uncle Mike gifted me An Exchange of Gifts and I read it over and over and over. I might still have it memorized. I couldn't really say why I enjoyed it so much!

I also read an Arthurian retelling she wrote, I think...but I can't find it! She's written so many books. It must be Black Horses for the King but none of the covers look right. I read it a few times in junior high/high school, but it didn't leave as much of an impression on me.

Michele | 520 comments I'm excited about this one!

message 6: by Asaria (last edited May 13, 2020 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 568 comments Ooo, this one is going to be fun. I loved and reread it many times in my teens. Looks like it's about time to dust off my copy.

Annette | 253 comments I read this long ago but I donated it in a move. So I ordered a new one!

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments I, too, read this one so long ago (eek, 25 years!!) that I don't remember details just the experience. Can't wait to re-read it with this group.

Emily M | 135 comments This was definitely my favourite "fantasy" series as a teenager (quotation marks because it's sort of actually science fiction, there are some prequels that have humans colonizing the planet and breeding the dragons from "fire lizards").

I remember reading somewhere (possibly even the About the Author) that Anne McCaffrey was obsessed with horses, and that the dragons are meant to represent that idealized human-equestrian relationship but supercharged.

I didn't love all the series, but it had some strong moments (notably, for me, this book and DragonSong/DragonSinger about a girl and her fire lizards).

message 10: by Margaret (new) - added it

I may start reading this soon. I'm in a bit of a book rut. I spent a week and a half reading the first 50-100 pages of about a dozen books for a project. The project is finished, but now I can't seem to pick up where I left off on any of them. I may just need to move on.

message 11: by Michele (last edited Jun 01, 2020 02:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michele | 520 comments I love this book for Lessa. She is simply an amazing character -- strong, smart, independent, fierce, and above all a fighter who never gives up.

message 12: by Asaria (last edited Jul 03, 2020 04:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Asaria | 568 comments Emily wrote: "This was definitely my favourite "fantasy" series as a teenager (quotation marks because it's sort of actually science fiction, there are some prequels that have humans colonizing the planet and br..."

The one about Menolly? My teen self loved that book too. I've even got teased by dad because I wanted to read it so badly that I got an unofficial, club release. Very unofficial release in bad condition. I think this, the prequel about Pern's colonization and Dragon Flight were favorite. I remember many years later I gave away almost all McCaffrey's books I owned, though.

Margaret wrote: "I may start reading this soon. I'm in a bit of a book rut. I spent a week and a half reading the first 50-100 pages of about a dozen books for a project. The project is finished, but now I can't se..."

I have no idea when I'll join you. Recently I've discovered online libraries, which share scans of old books by forgotten authors from XIX century. Something like archive.org, but for Poland. I'm on the hunt for writers, who were interested in similar topics as Jane Austen :)

My addiction to Asian literature and return to Leblanc's series about gentleman thief Arsene Lupin don't help too.

Edit: grammar.

Emily M | 135 comments Asaria wrote: "The one about Menolly? My teen self loved that book too. I've even got teased by dad because I wanted to read it so badly that I got an unofficial, club release. Very unofficial release in bad condition. I think this, the prequel about Pern's colonization and Dragon Flight were favorite. "

Me too, and I think I liked Moreta, Dragonlady of Pern too (another sort-of prequel). After a while they got a bit ridiculous though, and I could never get into her other science fiction worlds (no dragons).