2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
This topic is about A Merciful Secret
A Merciful Secret > Question P

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5918 comments Mod
Any other topics you’d like to discuss? Your overall opinion of the story?

Robin (robinmy) | 1297 comments Great questions, Jonetta! This was another solid addition to the series. At the moment it's my favorite series.

Did anyone else feel like Mercy was getting a little paranoid about the prepping. I can understand with the way she grew up that she would have a place where she kept supplies in case of emergency. But she's doing drills to see if she and her niece can make it to the cabin in all sorts of weather, etc. I guess the drills paid off in this instance.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 769 comments Yes, Robin. I agree with you and wonder how the rest of her story unfolds with a niece and a significant other.

Thank you!

I was also surprised at how much more of a prepper Mercy turned out to be, too. She’s going to have to admit that while she doesn’t share the misogyny of the men in the community or hostility towards government, she’s a prepper through and through. And, she’s drawing me in!

I’m loving this series, too.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1849 comments Once a prepper always a prepper. It becomes part of everyday life for anyone who grew up with that mindset. She admits it to herself and the people close to her, how important it is to be prepared. It is a secret to the people she knows from Oregon or outside the place she grew up. It is more that she doesn't want "regular" people to judge her harshly.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

Robin (robinmy) | 1297 comments After reading these books and living through the last two month of "shelter in place", I feel like I should start gathering more staples for times when the stores are out of items. I freely admit I know nothing about things like how to heat the house if the gas is shut off and various things like that. I'd be lost in that case.

Robin, I’m starting to hoard some items, too. I have enough pasta sauce, kidney beans, black beans and soup to last us for months😏

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1849 comments I have always prepared for catastrophic events but only 1 month worth of non- perishable supplies. We see how crazy people get with things like toilet paper and cleaning supplies. We decided we needed more, and just finished a small shed to organize and prepare a little more. I have a good generator, more because we lose power during hurricanes than anything else. My neighbor is doing the same thing.

We have said every year following the winter season that we need to buy a generator as we experience power outages typically stemming from ice storms and sometimes hurricanes. We’re located in the central part of the state (NC) and rarely get much from hurricanes but Michael took out power for four days! We had to stay at a hotel.

We still haven’t gotten a generator but I’m now thinking we need to take care of that.

Oh, and I’m now starting to see toilet paper back in the grocery store. Not a lot but it was encouraging to see some on the shelf. I’m fully stocked so I passed it up.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1849 comments We have toilet paper back in most of our stores now. Things are starting to get closer to normal. A generator is a good investment. It is needed in Florida during hurricane season. Even if the hurricane doesn't cause too much damage, the power goes down for a couple days.

I’d imagine generators are a staple in Florida!

Robin (robinmy) | 1297 comments I live in a small town and we rarely lose electric for more than a day.
My parents live in a rural area and they have a generator. Luckily they haven't had to use it much in the last few years.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1849 comments That's good. We have lived in the Tampa Bay area for fifteen years, and only needed the generator during four hurricane seasons. It is a life saver. The power was out more than 8 days each time. I think it is knowing it is there if we need it, that gives peace of mind. If we didn't have it we would camp out at the neighborhood bar. LOL

You see we checked into a hotel after one night! We were told it would be four days and I knew I wouldn’t make it.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 672 comments I'm enjoying the series. It's a good mix of murder/mystery, family issues and in an easy reading style.

One thing in this instalment though. I'm wondering why the author brought in the characters from her other series and then sort of abandoned them half way through. We did get some sort of story closure with Michael Brody but Ava McLane seemed to go MIA in the middle of the book? Did anyone else notice that. Wasn't she the lead FBI agent on the case? That was a bit of a downside for me, as it left an aspect of the story hanging.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1849 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm enjoying the series. It's a good mix of murder/mystery, family issues and in an easy reading style.

One thing in this instalment though. I'm wondering why the author brought in the characters..."

Lisa, from what I understand that is part of her style. She doesn't give up on her characters. I haven't read any of her other series yet, but Ava is just there to tie the two crimes together. FBI don't cross districts unless the crime demands it.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 672 comments Sharon wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "I'm enjoying the series. It's a good mix of murder/mystery, family issues and in an easy reading style.

One thing in this instalment though. I'm wondering why the aut..."

Oh right. That makes sense then. Thanks.