2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
This topic is about A Merciful Secret
A Merciful Secret > Question N

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6016 comments Mod
Gabriel’s murder spree was set off by his father’s decision to write him out of his will and leave part of his estate to Salome. Christian believes that their mother poisoned his mind over the last thirty years since her divorce from Malcolm. These were gruesome murders and patricide is rare. How could he have lost his way so horribly, especially considering that he killed Rob Murray and Brent Rollins, too, and attempted to kill Michael Brody?

Robin (robinmy) | 1342 comments I agree with Christian that their mother was part of the problem. She probably complained about the judge for every one of those thirty years and turned her sons against him. Christian was smart enough to stop listening to both of his parents. Gabriel was probably a bit unhinged and it drove him to take revenge.

I think you right about Gabriel already being imbalanced, Robin. He also had a deep sense of entitlement, too. But, no amount of poisoning by their mother could explain all the murders Gabriel committed. Something was very wrong with him and I wouldn’t be surprised if this wasn’t his first time.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 1898 comments It messes with a child's mind to constantly hear how bad one parent is, especially if there is limited contact with the other parent. However, that doesn't make a person a serial killer. If Gabriel only killed his father, it is possible that his mother influenced his actions. Unfortunately, he is so full of hate he can't think logically and decided doing away with anyone who crosses him is the thing to do.

If he killed Salome, I'm sure he would get Christian too.

I’m with you on that, Sharon.

message 6: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited May 26, 2020 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 674 comments It's interesting to compare Christian and Gabriel. They both would have been subjected to their mother's bitterness. So their individual personalities and how they perceived the situation would have impacted their reactions. But Gabriel's extreme reaction makes me think that mental health issues would have been involved and he needed expert help which he definitely did not get. Childhood issues can scar people for life and cause and exacerbate mental health.