2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #2 discussion

A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
This topic is about A Merciful Secret
A Merciful Secret > Question L

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7242 comments Mod
Considerable time was devoted to Mercy and Truman’s relationship, specifically their own musings about each other. Your thoughts about the depths of their feelings, whether they’re ready for a next step and Salome’s revelation that they have invisible threads that tie them together?

Robin (robinmy) | 1720 comments I believe Truman is ready to get engaged. He's just nervous that he'll scare Mercy by rushing. Mercy just needs time to be sure of what she wants.

The invisible thread thing was kind of cool.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 858 comments They seem to be moving much closer as a couple, since Mercy has let him in to her secret life and property.

Oh, I loved that invisible thread, something she and Salome both saw. I love how the author is letting their relationship brew slowly and wonderfully. They’re not only getting to k ow each other but better appreciate each other’s strengths, weaknesses and qualities. It’s quite lovely.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2381 comments They are forming closer bonds. They respect one another. As they spend more time together, their feelings become deeper. If they don't spend the night together, the calls/texts are sweet. Mercy is still moving slowly, but after each book she recognizes that she needs to give Truman a little more of herself.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 743 comments I like the way their relationship is explored through out the series. And the threads analogy was a lovely touch at the end.

Question - Mercy and Truman have an intimate relationship but largely off the page. Would you prefer that the author gives us some more details of those scenes or do you think the closed door works better in keeping with the tone of the series?

It’s more typical of books in the mystery genre to have sexual relations off the page. At least that’s been my experience so that’s my expectation. Very different from those in the romantic suspense genre.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 743 comments Jonetta wrote: "It’s more typical of books in the mystery genre to have sexual relations off the page. At least that’s been my experience so that’s my expectation. Very different from those in the romantic suspens..."

Ah yes.. And you probably remember my issues with Karen Rose. The horrible crimes in her books move the genre from romantic suspense to murder/thrillers for me and that's why in some of the earlier books the detailed romantic scenes seem out of place.

I don't find the off page love scenes a problem at all in the Mercy Kilpatrick series. However, we get a lot of their emotional relationship and moving forward a tasteful love scene wouldn't be totally out of place either.

Rose’s series is definitely considered to be romantic suspense, no matter the intensity of the crime. Her stories fit the definition which is based first on whether they can be considered romance (ends with a happily ever after for the main characters). Those detailed romantic scenes are appropriate for the genre. There are many other writers in the genre who write equally intense thrillers with the romance (Toni Anderson, Cindy Gerard, etc.).

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2381 comments The off page physical sex works for me in this series. The emotional growth is done perfectly, and tells us a lot more about Mercy. We know how she struggles to let someone in her heart. It never felt like she had a problem with a one night stand or a short physical relationship it is sharing her life, thoughts, and fears.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 743 comments Sharon wrote: "The off page physical sex works for me in this series. The emotional growth is done perfectly, and tells us a lot more about Mercy. We know how she struggles to let someone in her heart. It never f..."

Nicely put, Sharon. Thanks for the discussion ladies.