Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > What's the Perfect Setting for a horror film? An old asylum? A dark forest? An uninhabited island? If you were to direct a horror movie, what would be the setting?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments The scariest ones for me are haunted hotels, gothic houses, abandoned asylums. What are yours?

message 2: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1638 comments Wasn't it Stephen King that said something like, "Seeing a clown at the circus isn't scary, but if you come home and find that clown waiting for you in your bathroom..."

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 97 comments Deep space. The Alien series is probably my favorite horror/dark SF -- perfect combination of locked room mystery, monster movie, dark forest, & occasionally asylum with the inmates on the wrong side of the doors.

message 4: by Dylan (new)

Dylan | 22 comments Clowns creep me out, no matter what the context.

Deep Space is scary, too. I used to play the horror video game of the same name.

message 5: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
i think the woods are scary or can be. you never, ever go in the woods!

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily | 54 comments I would have to say, a dark forest.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7245 comments Latasha wrote: "i think the woods are scary or can be. you never, ever go in the woods!"

I think woods can be scary no matter what time of the day it is. I remember The Blair Witch Project and the creepy vibe that movie had with the characters wandering around the woods and that was during the day.

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11050 comments Mod
Yeah that movie scared me back when I was a teenager. We saw it in theaters. I’d love to watch it again but the motion sickness is too bad.

message 9: by Alastor (new)

Alastor Moopy (zeenia) | 81 comments I'm a fan of horror in the mundane so a perfectly ordinary house, office or classroom would be more scary to me if there was something truly frightening in it. In fact one of the scariest scenes I've seen was the one in Dark Water where Ikuko is menaced by a ghost in school.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1656 comments Horror in the woods always scares me, but so does anything where there is little or no ease of escape, like in the Alien movies.

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments I've always enjoyed evil carnivals.

message 12: by Alastor (new)

Alastor Moopy (zeenia) | 81 comments Anita, allow me to recommend The Pilo Family Circus by Will Elliot

message 13: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan There would be a focus on mazes and claustrophobia.

I.e. Caves, Submarines, Spaceships.

Constraints of light, space, and time.

message 14: by Anne (w/ an E) (last edited May 15, 2020 07:10PM) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 786 comments Graeme wrote: "There would be a focus on mazes and claustrophobia.

I.e. Caves, Submarines, Spaceships.

Constraints of light, space, and time."

That sounds like a fantastic idea, Graeme! How does one escape from an irrational fear of small spaces? I would read it. Let me know when you need a proofreader-I have always thought I'd be good at that.

message 15: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Anne, if I go down that pathway ... I'll mention it on goodreads.

P.s. I do run betas.

message 16: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 786 comments Okay Graeme, you know how to find me if you need me.

message 17: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Sure do....

(Bwhahahahahhaha....)

message 18: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 786 comments eeeeeeeeeeee! hides under bed

message 19: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan LOL.

message 20: by Anne (w/ an E) (new)

Anne (w/ an E) (mzcatnthehat) | 786 comments It is probably daytime for you there but it is 2:30am here so I need to slleep. G'night.

message 21: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Goodnight, Anne.

message 22: by Upender (new)

Upender Reddy | 9 comments To start of with, You cant have lush green trees in background and bright sunlight. And location depends on story line.

Probably cloudy back ground and old house and rain in few scenes would set the tone...

message 23: by Paul (new)

Paul Melhuish (paulmelhuish) | 27 comments Depends what the story was about. My freind Mark West wrote a short story set in a deserted industrial estate which worked really well. If you watch the film Possom then the decaying urban and rural settings look very eerie. My brother in law owns a medieval chateau in the south of France and hires out the apartments in the summer so we go out of season in the winter. I've always wanted to use that for a setting for a story but the plot has always alluded me.

message 24: by Muditha (new)

Muditha  Warnasuriya | 19 comments Abandoned houses are the scariestThe Villa for me.

message 25: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Ann wrote: "Deep space. The Alien series is probably my favorite horror/dark SF -- perfect combination of locked room mystery, monster movie, dark forest, & occasionally asylum with the inmates on the wrong si..."

Agreed, The 1st one especially - because on a space ship there is no where to run to...

message 26: by Graeme (last edited Jul 14, 2020 12:05AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan M. wrote: "Abandoned houses are the scariestThe Villa for me."

The key question is why has the house been abandoned?

Cursed? Haunted? Does it sit over a portal to a lovecraftian dimension filled with otherworldly horrors? Is it alive in the worst possible way or does it have a neighbor with a dreadful secret that he just, must, must, must share ... - and you have just inherited it from a great aunt you have never met.

message 27: by Graeme (last edited Jul 14, 2020 12:09AM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Anita wrote: "I've always enjoyed evil carnivals."

All the rides are perfectly safe - except for one - the ghost train through Hell itself... just one ticket, just one ride, and no one comes back alive!

But the conductor knows all - and he's looking for a replacement...