Austenesque Lovers TBR Challenge 2020 discussion

Group Activities > Dusty Shelves Scavenger Hunt - June

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 698 comments Mod
Ready to up the stakes on your reading challenge? Need a little extra difficulty to attack your book pile? Then, do join us.

Sophia will post up a Scavenger Clue (theme) from those submitted by the members and that will determine what you choose to pull off your shelf (or the local library's shelf) to read.

This will be a difficult (but not too difficult) challenge in that your book has to meet two qualifications.
1. It has to match the Scavenger Clue Theme.
2. It has to have been published over 2 years ago.

That's right! We're aiming at those oldies, but goodies that have been left behind to gather dust for the bright and shiny newer releases.
Any format may be admissible.

Your Clue: J-A-N-E-A-U-S-T-E-N-I-N-J-U-N-E

Your pick must have a title that begins with any of these letters. And, because I'm such a softy, you can use the subtitle or series title if you don't have any books collecting dust beginning with these letters. But, extra pat on the back if your book pick title uses 7 or more of the letters.

When you've made your pick, leave a comment below letting us know what and then start reading after June 1st. Feel free to discuss your book as you go or do an impression comment when you're finished.

message 2: by Sophia (new)

At the moment, I'm leaning toward The Perfect Match: a Pride and Prejudice sequel by Lory Lilian.

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Ha...I actually looked at my "want to read" and I spy

The Second Mrs. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella

message 5: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments I found this in my unread pile:

Summer of Love http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31...

message 6: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Just posting my participation .. will add title option later. Thanks for the fun!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 72 comments I'm leaning towards the Jane austen mysteries, if i can find first book in series or another on my tbr pile

message 8: by Momtoten (new)

Momtoten /Cherith Boardman | 80 comments I shall do the next in the sequence of the Carrie Bebris Mr and Mrs Darcy Mystery Series, which coincidentally happens to be "The INtrigue at Highbury".

message 9: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Kirk wrote: "Ha...I actually looked at my "want to read" and I spy

The Second Mrs. Darcy: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella"

I liked it! Perhaps a bit more angsty and gothicy than what I would like, but fine for a short story.

message 10: by Sophia (new)

I find that my mood plays a role in how much angst I'll tolerate. Glad you liked it, Kirk. :)

message 11: by Kirk (last edited May 20, 2020 11:07AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 586 comments Sophia wrote: "I find that my mood plays a role in how much angst I'll tolerate. Glad you liked it, Kirk. :)"

Thx!!! :) And it came with a bonus short story.

message 12: by writer... (last edited Jun 05, 2020 11:39AM) (new)

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Good to have you join, writer! We're off on our next challenge read. :)

message 14: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Read my dusty June: Holidays with Jane: Summer of Love https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
Funny YA, I am not a big fan of YA but I liked these stories, an even 4* for all the six stories.

message 15: by writer... (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments Sophia wrote: "Good to have you join, writer! We're off on our next challenge read. :)"

Thanks , Sophia!

message 16: by Sophia (last edited Jun 06, 2020 04:53PM) (new)

Those look light and fun, Elin. Glad you loved them though its not your usual go-to genre.

You totally get extra credit for a book with 'Jane' and "Summer' in the title. :)

message 17: by Elin (new)

Elin Eriksen (vaarin) | 236 comments Thank you, Sophia Rose :)

message 18: by Lenora (new)

Lenora Robinson | 52 comments I am going to read In the Neighborhood of Buckthorn Green

message 19: by Sophia (new)

Sounds good, Lenora! That a new one to me so I'll be interested to see what you think.

message 20: by writer... (last edited Jun 15, 2020 11:09AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 110 comments writer... wrote: "Intending to go with Samantha Adkins's ..."
Intentions redirected ( ebook not downloading) ..
Next choice The Red Chrysanthemum A Pride and Prejudice Variation by Linda Beutler with xtra pat on back for 7 letters.. 😄
The Red Chrysanthemum: A Pride and Prejudice Variation

message 21: by Sophia (new)

Look at you go, writer!