Play Book Tag discussion

May 2020: Other Books > Nightblood by T. Chris Martindale / 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments Originally I was going to give this 3 stars because it is for a niche audience - horror / action fans - but the more I think about it, it is perfect for the subgenre. It checks all the boxes for 80/90s kids who love horror and Steven Segal / Jean-Claude Van Damme type action flicks.

The basic concept is we have Vietnam vet Chris Stiles whose deceased brother comes to him periodically with a new monster killing mission. Our monster hunter in this book is taken to rural Indiana (Hail Hoosiers!) to fight vampires. His body is riddled with a "roadmap of scars" and he has an insane cache of weapons. Perfect monster fighting hero, right? He meets single mom Billie who infuses just enough love in his heart to keep him motivated for the final showdown, as all good heroes need.

From there, it predictably checks all the boxes for the type of crowd who would read this book.

Martindale is from Indiana.
I am from Indiana.
Martindale is an Indiana University alum.
I am an Indiana University alum.
The story is set in Southern Indiana.
I have been to and lived in Southern Indiana :)
He uses the term Hoosier at least once.
I am a Hoosier.

There are vampires, explosions, insane violence, dismemberment (frequently). What's not to love?

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments Hate horror, but always love your reviews of this genre-;)

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments Joanne wrote: "Hate horror, but always love your reviews of this genre-;)"

I love that you hate horror but read my reviews, thank you, Joanne :)

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7244 comments Meli wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Hate horror, but always love your reviews of this genre-;)"

I love that you hate horror but read my reviews, thank you, Joanne :)"

You are always too entertaining to pass by😁

message 5: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3151 comments Joanne wrote: "Meli wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Hate horror, but always love your reviews of this genre-;)"

I love that you hate horror but read my reviews, thank you, Joanne :)"

You are always too entertaining to p..."

Thank you, I feel the love 😍