Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2)
This topic is about Empire Ascendant
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Empire Ascendant [June 1, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7038 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for Empire Ascendant by Kameron Hurley starting June 1, 2020.
Empire Ascendant (Worldbreaker Saga, #2) by Kameron Hurley

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

In!

message 3: by Choko (new) - added it

Choko (chokog) | 5102 comments I will be here (+_+)

Anya  | 58 comments I'll definitely be here for the commentary ;))

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments In!

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I’m slowly falling more and more behind my BR schedule lol. The 1st is a Monday - I’ll see if I can get a handle on it over the weekend. I always get back into buddy reads with such enthusiasm that I over schedule myself. Every time. I don’t know how everyone does it. Then I just had a library book come in I’ve been waiting on since February that I have to read now unless I’m willing to wait another 12 weeks to get back, then I acquired two review obligations... oye.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments I do the same!

message 8: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

That makes me feel better haha. Thanks!

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments I also have review copies waiting, want to catch up with WOT buddy read, have over-scheduled myself and have library books coming! It’s a curse!

message 10: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments I think I’m going to bow out of this... I’m dropping everything from my TBR that I’m not excited about, basically... I removed all books from my phone that have been waiting to be read for over a month... got a bunch of cozy mysteries and some new UF and continuing thrillers to keep progressing...

I feel like I’ve been a lackluster Buddy Reader, lately, with very little to contribute... the type of Buddy Reader that contributes to why Petrik and others don’t like doing many Buddy Reads (not enough discussion, just comments on having finished)

Anya  | 58 comments I just finished it... took ONLY a month... yeah, don't pick this up unless you're super looking forward to it.

I always finish series when I start them, but now...I need a break from this one. I'll finish it one day, but right now I need an easy stand-alone book. Or several.

message 12: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14913 comments I found the book interesting enough to want to finish at some point, but have been slowly slumping for the past 6-8 weeks... missing a lot of details, preferring easy reads and slowing audio down a bit...

There have been a few exceptions, like my slow Joe Ledger binge, and dwindling enthusiasm Pendergast binge...

My recent run of great UF, has me wanting to pivot genres... Night Shift Dragons was great (Rachel Aaron, DFZ) and the 2nd Tarot Sequence book was great (M/M UF with Atlantis and Tarot Card powers)... trying Bobby Dollar by Tad Williams, now... still gonna join Draconis Memoria...

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Olivia wrote: "I also have review copies waiting, want to catch up with WOT buddy read, have over-scheduled myself and have library books coming! It’s a curse!"

Haha such a curse - why do they all pile one at once?! When this happens, I usually get overwhelmed and end up picking up something random that wasn't even on the initial list lol.

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Timelord Iain wrote: "I think I’m going to bow out of this... I’m dropping everything from my TBR that I’m not excited about, basically... I removed all books from my phone that have been waiting to be read for over a m..."

It's a crap shoot if the BR is going to facilitate discussion. I hate it when I'm the lackluster one haha (ahem... Night Shift Dragons - which I'm loving, but still only 40%). I think it's awesome you're reprioritizing just the awesome reads. It's the only way to go lol.

message 15: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Anya wrote: "I just finished it... took ONLY a month... yeah, don't pick this up unless you're super looking forward to it.

I always finish series when I start them, but now...I need a break from this one. I'l..."

Yay! Good job getting through it! I'll take that under advisement and probably push back reading it until I'm unburied. I'm still very interested in continuing, but between my Abercrombie hold coming in and an Ilona Andrews calling to me, this one is one level down on the priority hierarchy. Especially since I already bought it.

message 16: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments I do the same as you. I end up reading something else. But reading is supposed to be fun and not a chore so I try not to be too hard on myself lol

message 17: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Also I definitely want to read the rest of this series but I don’t mind pushing it a few weeks back?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1766 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I think I’m going to bow out of this... I’m dropping everything from my TBR that I’m not excited about, basically... I removed all books from my phone that have been waiting to be read for over a m..."

In my other group, the ones first proposing the BRs are obliged to lead the discussion, pose questions, things like that. It does not always work but might be useful to apply.