Play Book Tag discussion

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
May 2020: Comedy > The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 334 comments This book starts out light and fluffy, but soon turns dark and at times gory. It is the story of a group of southern women who start a "not a book club, book club". When a stranger moves into their neighborhood and strange things start to happen they become very suspicious. Children are disappearing and these tough women are willing to do whatever it takes to protect the children.
This is not the usual type of book I choose, but I really liked this book. It was suspenseful and i couldn't read it fast enough. The story line was your typical suspicious group hunts down suspected vampire to get rid of him, but that doesn't detract from the story. There are light almost comical moments and very dark, gory moments, but for me it worked. I will be checking to see what else the author has written. I would recommend this book for those of you that like vampire stories.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great review. I had similar feelings about his book. ;-)

Meli (melihooker) | 3245 comments I loved this! At a certain point I could not put it down. I read My Best Friend's Exorcism by him as well, but I didn't like that one as much.

I have Horrorstör and We Sold Our Souls on deck as well.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7483 comments I have this on my list to read soon-a lot of people have told me how good it is, not really my genre but I am going to give it a try

Meli (melihooker) | 3245 comments Joanne wrote: "I have this on my list to read soon-a lot of people have told me how good it is, not really my genre but I am going to give it a try"

I think a lot of people not really into horror have enjoyed it. I would caution at a couple of gory bits (if that's why you don't like horror), but it isn't consistently gory throughout.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Joanne, I am in the same boat as you—not really my genre but I am eventually going to give it a whirl! Kind of waiting to see what tags come up for PBT over the next couple of months.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1083 comments This one's on my TBR. I'm going to try to fit it in this month for the Comedy tag.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Oh yeah, I kind of forgot I shortlisted it for comedy.

Cheryl Coppens | 334 comments This really isn't my go to either, but I really enjoyed it. It was tagged humorous, comedy, and funny along with other tags along this line. Even thought there were some funny parts these aren't really tags I would use for it.

message 10: by Teodora (new) - added it

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments I'm so torn about this book. I think that I added it to my TBR and taken it out, then added it again a few times now. I think that I will finally end up reading it, just to be able to form my own opinion about it, although vampire books are not my first choice in reading. But one never knows...

message 11: by NancyJ (last edited May 13, 2020 12:45PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5225 comments Great review Cheryl! I used to love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I wonder if this is anything like that. I can handle gore only if there is a lot of humor in it.

There was also a very funny series about a twin cities vampire queen named Elizabeth. I can't recall the author.

I got tired of the whole genre after a (long) while, but these were my go-to guilty pleasures at the end of a tough semester.

message 12: by Meli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3245 comments NancyJ wrote: "Great review Cheryl! I used to love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I wonder if this is anything like that. I can handle gore only if there is a lot of humor in it.

There was al..."

I didn't think it was anything like the Charlaine Harris series personally. I didn't think it was particularly humorous (overall) either. Maybe early on when the book club forms then it the comedic element dies out with the mood getting a lot more serious. Charlaine Harris series is a little more soap operay also, perhaps you could say this is darker? Although the Sookie Stackhouse series could get pretty dark at times too.

There are really only 3 real gory parts, it isn't in the whole book, but I would say there is "a lot" of humor to temper it.

message 13: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5225 comments Meli wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Great review Cheryl! I used to love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. I wonder if this is anything like that. I can handle gore only if there is a lot of humor in it...."

Thanks it sounds like something I could like. I might wait until we have a paranormal related tag.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Thoughts on this as an audio? I really enjoy the narrator, but wondering if the story would lend itself to that format.

Did anyone listen to it?