Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Georgette Heyer
This topic is about Georgette Heyer
Heyer in General > Heyer on pendant - calling for help

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments Hi everybody,

Can you recommend to me a picture, a mark, logo, etc. to put into a pendant, that would visual nicely my love to Heyer's world? It should be rather simple, with not too many details. I thought about one of the covers but I will lose all my hairs before I decide which one ;-)

[I am sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place - please feel free to move it but write to me where you move it. ;-)]

message 2: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1280 comments Maybe a silhouette of a happy Regency couple? Like this
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5036995...

Google "Jane Austen couple silhouette" or "Regency couple silhouette".

https://4570book.info/amazing-clipart...

Barb in Maryland | 657 comments Mela
Perhaps Google Regency era Fashion Plates--you are sure to find a simple drawing of a Regency debutante that would be suitable.

Good luck with your project!

message 4: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4242 comments Mod
No I think this is the right place. Off the top of my head - the picture we use of GH is lovely.

My favourite is the Frederica cover - but maybe not romantic enough for you.

Is the Venetia couple to far apart for you?

https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/blo... (scroll down)

message 5: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments QNPoohBear, Barb, Carol, you are the best! Thank you!

Now, I just need to choose ;-)

message 6: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments I am just thinking, what thing do you associate with Heyer/Austen books? Of course, to each specific book, it is easier to choose but as a symbol of all? A cup and teapot is too obvious ;-) And ideas?

message 7: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2597 comments Mod
Mela wrote: "I am just thinking, what thing do you associate with Heyer/Austen books? Of course, to each specific book, it is easier to choose but as a symbol of all? A cup and teapot is too obvious ;-) And ideas?"

That is a good question - what scene / image do you think about most with Heyer books? Something to think about.

For me, maybe Tristam arriving at the Inn with Leonie's bandboxes, and finding Sarah on the stairs trying to intercept him.

Or perhaps the silhouette of a couple in a curricle? With a dog as well.

message 8: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3439 comments Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ wrote: "No I think this is the right place. Off the top of my head - the picture we use of GH is lovely.

My favourite is the Frederica cover - but maybe not romantic enough for you.

Is the Venetia coupl..."

I adore those Barbosa covers! So glad I actually snagged one at a used book sale years ago Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer . Not a favorite book, but the cover is gorgeous! And since it’s a single figure, maybe it would work?

message 9: by Susan in NC (last edited May 13, 2020 08:25AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3439 comments Mela wrote: "I am just thinking, what thing do you associate with Heyer/Austen books? Of course, to each specific book, it is easier to choose but as a symbol of all? A cup and teapot is too obvious ;-) And ideas?"

A reticule or bonnet? We get so many clothing descriptions! A letter, often, is an engine of plot movement in both Austen and Heyer - the stormy letter from Darcy to Elizabeth after his proposal, the rather nagging or snitching letters brother James receives from Bath, which prompt his visit and tempestuous scenes from Black Sheep... perhaps a letter beside a pen and ink pot? Plus, I always think in Regency times, letters were the main form of communication, only real form of expression for women - where would they be without this outlet?

message 10: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 346 comments I love the idea of a pendant inspired by GH. As for a symbol for all, I do like Critterbee’s suggestion of the couple (with dog) in a curricle. Or even just the curricle itself. It’s an object I associate with GH, and not with any other author (such as Jane Austen).

message 11: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1280 comments Only use the book covers if this pendant is for personal use only. If it's for sale, the images are copyrighted. That's why I suggested the silhouette.

message 12: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments Thank you all again! Great ideas.

QNPoohBear - it is only for personal use, I know about copyrights.

message 13: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2597 comments Mod
Now I am obsessed with what an illustration would look like of Tristam bursting into the Inn and Sarah coming down the stairs to intercept him!

message 14: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments Critterbee❇ wrote: "Now I am obsessed with what an illustration would look like of Tristam bursting into the Inn and Sarah coming down the stairs to intercept him!"

;-) If you find or draw such illustration - please share it with us!

By the way, it would be a wonderful topic! Sharing illustrations, photos that show scenes from Heyer's book. Was such one already?

message 15: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments I have picked this one

message 16: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1280 comments That's a lovely choice, Mela!

message 17: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "That's a lovely choice, Mela!"

I like it too ;-)

message 18: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 519 comments It is lovely! Where does the image come from?

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 438 comments Mela wrote: "I am just thinking, what thing do you associate with Heyer/Austen books? Of course, to each specific book, it is easier to choose but as a symbol of all? A cup and teapot is too obvious ;-) And ideas?"

I can't think of a symbol that would unite Heyer and Austen, but for Heyer alone, it must be the neck-tie! The mathematical! The Oriental! The gentleman with a stack of fresh neck-clothes, tying each one once and gently depressing his chin until he achieves the perfect fold.

message 20: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments Nick wrote: " it must be the neck-tie! The mathematical! The Oriental! The gentleman with a stack of fresh neck-clothes, tying each one once and gently depressing his chin until he achieves the perfect fold."

You have taken me, Nick, to the Heyer's world...

message 21: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 69 comments Margaret wrote: "It is lovely! Where does the image come from?"

I have found it in many places on Internet. One of the good quality is here - link. In one blog I have found also, that it is from Journal des Dames et des Modes (1811) (here source). I would need more time to find more about it.

message 22: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4242 comments Mod
Mela wrote: "
I have found it in many places on Internet. One of the good quality is here - link. In one blog I have found also, that it is from J..."

So pretty!

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 519 comments And so appropriate for us Heyer fans!