Play Book Tag discussion

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
This topic is about Bring Up the Bodies
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3866 comments Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel - 4 stars - My Review

Bring Up the Bodies is the second book in Mantel’s trilogy centered around the life of Thomas Cromwell. It shows Cromwell at the height of his power. The plot follows the fall of Anne Boleyn. In the first book, Wolf Hall, we get a somewhat sympathetic portrait of Cromwell. In this book, we start to see his darker side. Mantel indirectly implies that Henry VIII’s mental state could have been influenced by a fall from his horse during a joust.

Mantel throws in dry humor to offset some of the macabre content, but of course, the ending is truly horrific, as everyone knows the ultimate outcome for Anne Boleyn. I think it is a tribute to the author’s talent that it made me feel queasy. However, it meant I did not enjoy it quite as much as Wolf Hall.

I listened to the audiobook, read by Simon Vance. Vance does a competent job with the voices and it felt like I was like listening to a play. I think this method is easier for me to follow when there are a large number of characters. It does get a bit confusing in keeping track of them all, especially near the end. I am looking forward to reading the final book in the trilogy, The Mirror and the Light.

Susie | 4488 comments Are you getting started straight away Joy?

Joy D | 3866 comments Susie wrote: "Are you getting started straight away Joy?"
Not yet. I'm on a waiting list on Overdrive. I am next up, so it shouldn't be too long.