Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Bulletin Board > WorldCat Listing Helpful

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roderick (new)

Roderick Edwards (rodericke) | 57 comments I had one of my books listed in the WorldCat database which is supposedly a database used by libraries when stocking books. I haven't seen any change in purchasing my book. Has anyone else tried this and found it helpful?
https://www.worldcat.org/title/univer...

message 2: by Jim (last edited May 12, 2020 11:11AM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1122 comments I believe public libraries utilize a number of resources in their acquisition process and decision making.

Although both the paperback book and audio book on CD formats of my one and only novel were physically placed or made otherwise available in public libraries throughout Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, I think it may have been because I was a local author.

Whether this impacted sales of the novel I cannot say. I only know that it was not a commercial success, having sold a grand total of only 1,029 units during its 5 1/2 years of availability (2006 - 2011).

Very few novice authors achieve commercial success within this extremely competitive field. That said; some have. There is no reason why you might not eventually become one of them. I wish you success.

message 3: by Roderick (new)

Roderick Edwards (rodericke) | 57 comments Thanks for the feedback Jim. Having the book in a library would probably decrease sales because a library will loan out your book obviously. Too bad there is not a resource to show you how many times a book has been checked out at a library.

message 4: by Jim (last edited May 12, 2020 04:56PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1122 comments Roderick wrote: "Thanks for the feedback Jim. Having the book in a library would probably decrease sales because a library will loan out your book obviously. Too bad there is not a resource to show you how many tim..."

Actually Roderick, libraries do track the number of times a book has been borrowed. Most now use personal computers, strategically placed throughout the various sections, for use by members instead of cards to locate a specific book, see how many times it has been borrowed, and any comments posted by readers.

I personally do not believe that having a book in the library negatively impacts potential sales any more than the practice of many self-published authors offering their work for free for prolonged periods of time.

Effective marketing, promotion, word of mouth, the quality of the writing, and captivating story or subject are probably the determinant factors in whether or not an author's work becomes commercially successful.