What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/MG Fantasy novel. Young girl and a witch. Boarding school? (house/castle?) run by matrons (or similar). Forbidden places. Very similar to Miss Peregrines, dark & bizarre. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments I dont remember much about this book. It was very dark and bizarre for its age group, and the main character was definitely younger than the audience. The only real thing I remember is a distinct image from the end of the book where *SPOILERS* the girl is trapped in a secret cave in the cliffside underneath some sort of castle or house. The witch has trapped her there, and while she is evil now I remember that at the beginning she was either less evil or perhaps even good. Her power or aesthetic I remember as being very "swampy", lots of moss and vines and slime sort of thing. To rescue the girl another child had to climb down the side of the cliff face and crawl into the cave. There was something about bones and long hair in a potion? (maybe?) I think there was also another boy perhaps. I seem to remember, but I could be wrong, that the girl was trapped or confined by well meaning but strict people in the castle/house (because the witch was searching for her?) I have literally searched everywhere, but because what I remember is quite vague its difficult. I think I read it around 2013

message 3: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments Hmm i dont think its any of those - it was a lot darker and "plainer" not many dragons or adventures

message 4: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments I just remembered that the house/castle was like a boarding (school?) and there were "matrons" or equivalent - some nice but i seem to remember something about her not getting food... there was also something about another child helping her get into forbidden places

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19018 comments How old was the girl, teenager or younger child?

message 6: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments I dont think there was an exact age but she was definitely younger than i was reading. Maybe 10? But she wasnt niave or young girl typique

message 7: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments bump

message 8: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments bump

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jul 12, 2020 01:44PM) (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Eh, I added some plot details to the topic header, so your book might be recognized from the header alone. Many members only read the headers.

Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 10: by McKinley (new)

McKinley | 18 comments Could it be A College of Magics, from Caroline Stevermer ? I don't remember anything swampy in that one but it is set in a boarding school.

message 11: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments Unfortunately no I dont think so, but it seems very similar in storyline - just a different ending and tone

message 12: by Violet (last edited Jul 17, 2020 09:32PM) (new)

message 13: by Eh (new)

Eh | 10 comments I dont think so sorry - it seems like an interesting book though!