Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Random Chatter > Favourites found from the H&N group?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 696 comments I was curious and thought I'd ask group members:

What is your favourite book that you read since joining this group and as a direct result of its monthly/challenge reads? ie. a book that you likely wouldn't otherwise have picked up.

message 2: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3712 comments Mod
Maybe the most prominent were books by Lois McMaster Bujold, first her fantasy and now her SF.

Also honorable mentions go to
Spin
More Than Human
The Dispossessed
The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
Childhood's End

There are several more titles, which I read before, like N.K. Jemisin trilogy, which can be otherwise included

message 3: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 546 comments Ah, that's difficult to answer since I a) only joined this group last year and b) already was on a personal mission to read the award winners (that's why I joined), so I would have picked up the winners anyway, the group reads only determine the order.

Since I joined I'd say my favourite one was Annihilation (I hope I read it with this group ^^')

message 4: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2080 comments Mod
I’m with Gabi. I had already compiled my Top 100 and was actively working on it, reading classics I’d missed and award winners. I was using the Hugo and Nebula lists from worldswithoutend.com as my guides. I joined in mid-2018, a few months after the group started, but I’ve only skipped two monthly reads, though I plan to catch up on those (roughly half have been previous reads, and I rarely do a re-read).

Apart from gaining a small community of kindred spirits, the monthly reads have taken me places I would not have gone soon. I would not have tackled The Golem & The Jinni, for example. It’s given me more awareness and appreciation for books of the last 10-15 years. The other thing it gave me was focus on the goal. I’ve read more in the last 3 years than ever in my entire life, and because it’s been focused on the list, it feels like I’m accomplishing something, not just reading randomly.

Though I can’t attribute them directly to the group, my best finds have been Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang, The Curse of Chalion, and the two Jack McDevitt series. Authors: Wilhelm, Bujold, Silverberg, Simak. I’m not as enamored with Bujold, but the Vorkosigan saga is an impressive life’s work and Chalion is one of the best things I’ve read in years.

message 5: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments Most of the best books I've read in this group have been books I'd been meaning to read anyway but hadn't found the time: The Three-Body Problem, The Fifth Season, Embassytown...

But like so many others, I too was blown away by the Chalion books, and I would never have read them if it wasn't for this group. I've now read all the Penric novellas, as well.

And The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer. I had read Snow Crash but didn't really like it all that much, so I'm not sure if I would've read another Stephenson book without this little nudge.

And there have been interesting books I'm glad I read, although I didnt' find them all that great. Babel-17 was one, The Einstein Intersection and This Immortal couple others. And I have to include Nova Express in this category, as well.

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Funny but I'd also have to say that it would have to be the Chalion series for me. They turned out to be nothing like anything I expected. Besides those two books, I was completely blown away by The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, another one of those intense reads that really reward you for taking the time to read them.

message 7: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2080 comments Mod
The Diamond Age was much better than I expected. I was kind of dreading more Stephenson but this one and Seveneves were really good. Although I had discovered China Mieville before the group, Embassytown was also one of the best things I’ve read with the group.

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited May 13, 2020 09:38PM) (new)

Kateblue | 3778 comments Mod
CJ Cherryh's Cyteen. I would never have made it through the political beginning if it hadn't been a monthly read. And I ended up really liking it despite some flaws.

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I suppose that having watched 2001: A Space Odyssey, it was nowhere near to my reading priorities. I'm glad we read it, I've gone on to reading sequels, one of which was just as good as the original but the series lost steam and became repetitive by the end of it.
Still a good experience.

message 10: by Joe (new)

Joe Santoro | 210 comments I haven't been here too long, but so far I'm quite happy the group motivated me to finally pick up The Warrior's Apprentice and start that series.