Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Rainbow Riddle
This topic is about The Rainbow Riddle
#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 2: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1235 comments Mod
Chapter 2: Roberta’s Warning

Judy and Roberta just stare at each other, each finding it hard to believe that the other was there. Roberta was apparently there to stay, her suitcase was crammed so full that the sides bulged. “Well this is a surprise! Today is my wedding day and I was just wishing you could be my flower girl. Some good fairy must have heard me. Did you come on a magic carpet?” “I came on the bus,” Roberta said solemnly. Then she paused and then threw herself sobbing in to Judy’s arms. “I'm glad,” she sobbed. “I'm so glad--glad--glad---” Mrs. Bolton couldn't help smiling and Dr Bolton touched the little girls shoulder. Dr Bolton said “This is a funny way to act if you are glad about something, ” he had a twinkle in his eye. Roberta explains that she is glad that Judy is all right. She was very scared. Mrs. Bolton put her arms around Roberta and Dr Bolton assured her that she shouldn't let anything worry her any more, “It ’s a day that everyone should be happy, especially this very pretty little flower girl,” he patted her some more. Roberta reacted to all the kindness with a quick smile, but as Dr & Mrs. Bolton left the room to attend to wedding matters, Roberta looked frightened again.

Roxy tries to get Roberta interested in the rooms and the wedding presents. Roberta gasps and asks if all the presents have been opened. . All have been except one, the one addressed to Judy & Peter. Roberta is very upset and asks them not to open the package. Judy looks at the package and says that it is from Irene and Dale and nothing can be the matter with it. However Roberta is hysterical. Someone came to her aunt’s house and Roberta overheard them say they were going to make a radio that would blow her to bit’s the minute it was turned on. Judy objected that it was fantastic and they were probably joking. “But they weren’t. I know it,” Roberta cried passionately. “Do you think I’d come all this way to warn you, and --- borrow Aunt Alma’s money to come on when I know she’ll punish me if --if it were a joke. Do you?” Judy is concerned about Roberta ‘borrowing’ the money , saying it was really stealing. How would they explain that? Judy was really concerned. “But I had to,” Roberta protested. “I had to warn you. They said you were on their trail and they were going to get you before you find out too much about the r-rainbow r-ring” “I don’t know anything about any rainbow ring, and I’m not on anyone’s trail,” declared Judy, “so they couldn’t have been talking about me,” “ They said the B-Bolton girl---” Roberta insisted. Roxy mentions that after today Judy will be the “Dobbs girl’ then wonders if anyone speaks that way about brides. “Mrs Dobbs,” Judy said with dignity. “it’s really a fine name. I’ll be proud of it as long as I live. It’s plain but somehow as honest as Peter himself. I like honesty.” Roberta’s eyes dropped. “You don’t like me then. I’m not honest. I took Aunt Alma’s money to come here.” Judy answers that she knows Roberta is sorry. They will get in touch with her aunt and fix everything so she can stay for the wedding. Horace thinks that is asking for trouble, Judy doesn’t see it that way. She asks Roberta to tell her the whole story again. Roberta explains that after she was put to bed, Aunt Alma had company. She heard Judy’s name mentioned so she tiptoed downstairs and overheard the plot against Judy. Judy thinks it is hard to believe. She explains to Roberta that Irene and Dale are 2 of her dearest friends and that they like her so much that they named their baby after Judy so they would never send her a radio that would hurt her. Roberta wants to know if they are coming to the wedding. Judy tells her that they can’t because of Irene’s radio work and the baby. She tells Roberta the whole story of Irene how she went from a poor girl to a singer on the radio and that dreams do come true. Roberta says that her aunt keeps her dreams from coming true.

Horace adds that Irene is going to sing a special song for Judy on her program that night at six o'clock just about the time Judy will be cutting her wedding cake. The radio is already set up for it. Judy excitedly suggests that maybe Irene sent a portable radio for the broadcast and maybe they should set it up ahead of time. Roberta is so upset that finally Judy agrees not to open the package if Roberta won't mention it again until after the wedding. Roberta promises not to.

I think Roberta is very brave to take money from her aunt, figure out the bus schedule and get to Farringdon all by herself. And she is only 8. Of course stealing is wrong, but Roberta wants to save her friends life and that is more important. I think Judy should realize that.

message 2: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
I love this book. I did not have a full rainbow wedding. I only had 3 people in the party - blue, green, and brown dresses. Neil's mom made pink dresses for my mom and herself to wear. Dad and I had delivered cakes for a bakery so they made my wedding cake. A friend was the caterer and I remember my aunt wanted roast beef and my parents had to tell the caterer to give some to her since she helped pay for the wedding. We had friends hold up the Huppa. One of my best friends came even though she was having problems with her pregnancy. Her son will be 39 this year. There is a picture from the re-enactment on what would have been the Dobb's 50th in the pictures.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 609 comments Blue, green, and brown sound like a very pretty combination: Sea and sky, verdant flora, and the earth.

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1011 comments There is a picture from the re-enactment on what would have been the Dobb's 50th in the pictures."
Lorraine who is a member of this group gave me a printed napkin from that re-enactment. Have it inside the cover of my Rainbow Riddle book. Lorraine also made a replica of Judy's bouquet.

message 5: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Stroh | 130 comments Margaret Sutton's daughter, Eleanor, was married in November 1945 in Brooklyn, NY, and I believe it was a rainbow wedding. My father, who was an excellent amateur photographer, planned to take the pictures, but it rained. He did not have flash equipment. Mom wished they had hired a professional photographer. Eleanor and her husband moved to his home in Wisconsin shortly after the wedding. So I'm sure that experience influenced this book.

message 6: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 1011 comments Lindsay wrote: "My father, who was an excellent amateur photographer, planned to take the pictures, but it rained. He did not have flash equipment. Mom wished they had hired a professional photographer. Eleanor and her husband moved to his home in Wisconsin shortly after the wedding. So I'm sure that experience influenced this book..."
Another "actual event" th ebook is based on.

message 7: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 382 comments It is a shame that they didn't have pictures from Eleanor's wedding.

The reenactment sounds like fun. I will have to look for the picture.

message 8: by Rachelle (new) - added it

Rachelle | 74 comments Mod
It was fun. The only bad part is that I had loaned Rev. Bob my copy of Rainbow Riddle and it took a little time to get it back.

J. Michael | 130 comments Lindsay wrote: "Margaret Sutton's daughter, Eleanor, was married in November 1945 in Brooklyn, NY, and I believe it was a rainbow wedding. My father, who was an excellent amateur photographer, planned to take the ..."

Thank you, Lindsay, for sharing this fascinating piece of information. It makes an already wonderful and beloved book just a little bit more meaningful!

J. Michael | 130 comments Having just said goodbye to Roberta as I finished another reading of "The Clue of the Stone Lantern," it's especially poignant to revisit the circumstances under which she arrived in Farringdon on Judy and Peter's wedding day. It's sweet to hear her ask Judy if the two of them are friends, and to note Judy's reassuring response, "Of course we are ..."