Len's Book Club! discussion

May 2020 > How To Do Nothing- What do you think?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (new)

Elena Taber (elenataber) | 8 comments Mod
I'm close to halfway through How To Do Nothing by Jenny Oddell and every chapter has provided new and unique perspectives and opinions. I love that it isn't your classic *self-help guide* to have a digital detox from your phone but is rather a collection of essays critiquing the "attention economy". I constantly fall trap to the pursuit of productivity and progress and this has been a needed wake up call to re-learn how to exist, resist, and survive in the world as it is today. What are your thoughts so far?

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 1 comments I agree. I like how it isn’t a conventional self-help guide. I’m finding it quite thought provoking and a little bit of a slap in the face. Some misconceptions of mine have been brought to the forefront which, to me, highlights a well researched and critical analysis.
Ch3 has stuck with me the most so far because it showcased how doing the polite opposite of expected norms is generally always met with surprise. Oddell effectively dictates that this avenue is only for wealthy people who can survive losing their jobs on account of their actions , unlike the majority of society. This is a truth that grates me. Evidently, acting in this manner is only one way to resist the attention economy and I’m excited to learn more as I continue reading.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 1 comments I have been really loving this book so far. I tend to move at a slower pace even before reading this (I absolutely love to bird watch/observe) and this book just reaffirms all the things I love about slowing down and noticing the many things that go unnoticed in our daily lives.

message 4: by Asia (new)

Asia Miller (asianacoya) | 2 comments I do agree that I like that it isn’t your usual self-help guide. I like how the author pulls in real examples from history to emphasize her point. So far, what I’m taking in from reading, is that it is so important for us to be able to slow down and rethink our priorities in order to really pursue life and find meaning in what we’re doing. I also like that she points out that slowing down and unplugging doesn’t mean isolating ourselves from others, but more so slowing down with others. I’m not all the way through yet, but I think this is a perfect read for the trying times we are all currently in.

message 5: by Angele (new)

Angele | 1 comments I agree that it's not your typical self help book.. it comes more from a researched nature, which I appreciated. I love how the author speaks of productivity in relation to the unhealthy standards that are being modernised and was especially fascinated by the trainee example to show that - I highly recommend watching it - without failing to mention that one must come from a place of privilege to enjoy 'doing nothing'.. yet that doesn't make it less important.
Thanks for recommending!