Play Book Tag discussion

The Choice: Embrace the Possible
This topic is about The Choice
May 2020: Other Books > The Choice - Embrace the Possible by Dr. Edith Eva Eger - 5 stars!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8279 comments Absolutely not comedy!

Painful but beautiful non-fiction Memoir!

It took me a long time to figure out how to review this five star read. This is not an easy book. In fact its hard to pick up a book that you know will be powerful. There's never a time to truly be "in the mood." But being in Goodreads, there is always a reason to pick up a particular book at a particular time. I knew the time for this had come.

Dr. Edith Eva Eger is a psychologist like me, and her book opens with some of the struggles of her patients. The undercurrent theme of the book, or perhaps overt message, is how do we, does anyone, get through the traumas of their life to choose joy? To be able to reach beyond trauma? She asks the question that my patients ask? Is joy really a choice? Are there traumas too unimaginable to bear? is resilience possible?

Dr. Eger tells her own story and of how dark it was to get out of that tunnel. After surviving Auschwitz, the loss of her mother and family, and the inhumane mistreatment and suffering, she leaned about the power of small kindnesses and the risks you take for your sister and others. But had a very hard time getting to believe that she deserved more. Could ever experience joy and safety again. This book is her journey. But its also a road map for resilience - and knowing that you do have a choice, no matter what you have been through, and that you can embrace the possibility, the truth, that there is a way to dance again.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Sounds very powerful. Glad you enjoyed it.