The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE > Books About Literary World?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Smith (wtsmithtx) I'm learning that I really enjoy books that take place in the book publishing world or literary society. Does anyone have any suggestions? I only ever accidentally come across titles... there aren't many reading lists for this micro-genre.

message 2: by Mony (last edited May 11, 2020 11:42PM) (new)

Mony (mony1) Hi Taylor,
I also like the same kind of books. Let know me more specifics & I can help you out.
Fiction or non-fiction?
Any other aspects to keep in mind?

If non-fiction, Ernest Hemingway's Moveable Feast is fantastic.
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
Down and Out in Paris by George Orwell
Down and Out in Paris and London by George Orwell
Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach, James Laughlin. Have not read that but very key place in Paris for writers James Joyce, Ernest Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Sherwood Anderson, Andre Gide, Ezra Pound, Gertrude Stein, Alice B. Toklas, D. H. Lawrence. Beach would have some wonderful insights. Place still exists...lots of fun to go there.
Shakespeare and Company by Sylvia Beach

Fiction
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain - good little novel
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain
Very cool engaging book includes twenty years of correspondence between Helene Hanff, a freelance writer living in New York City, and a used-book dealer in London. Not dry at all.
84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
Lovely little book about a Scottish bookshop
The Bookshop on the Corner (Scottish Bookshop #1) by Jenny Colgan
One of my favourites...if this is what you're looking for. Fast-paced, great read. "The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon away from life as a San Francisco web-design drone and into the aisles of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, but after a few days on the job, Clay discovers that the store is more curious than either its name or its gnomic owner might suggest."
Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan

message 3: by Mony (new)

Mony (mony1) A. better one...I'm going to read this one. LOL
Shakespeare and Company, Paris: A History of the Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart by Krista Halverson
Shakespeare and Company, Paris A History of the Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart by Krista Halverson

message 4: by Shannon (new)

Shannon P (shannonmarieparker) | 12 comments The House of Hawthorne is about novelist Nathaniel Hawthorne and his wife, artist Sophia Peabody Hawthorne. I just found it on Amazon and added it to my TBR yesterday.

message 5: by Mony (new)

Mony (mony1) The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Lovely book - not a fluffy read

message 6: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Smith (wtsmithtx) Wow, thanks so much everybody! Apparently my notifications were off, so I didn't see these initially. Thanks for the heads up, Mony!

message 7: by Mony (new)

Mony (mony1) you're welcome! it was fun!

message 8: by Luke (new)

Luke Hudson (ldvreads) | 9 comments The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

[Book: The Starless Sea]

This wonderful novel kind of fits the brief, it's less about the literary world, but is a beautiful love letter to story telling.

message 9: by Carrie (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 143 comments H.C. wrote: "I feel like I'm late to the party, but there is a fantastic book called "The End of Mr Y" by Scarlett Thomas which is kind of set in a literary world, but moreso into the scholarship/literary study..."

That was a great book, it's one of the lesser known gems I think.