What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > histrical medieval romance - knight kidnaps a muslim princess

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jmvillalva (new)

Jmvillalva | 2 comments Read in the 80s or 90s
Plot:: I think it was a Muslim princess that falls in love with her tutor and doesn't want to marry the man her father has chosen so she plots her escape with the help of a knight. Instead of the knight taking her where she wanted, he decides to keep her for himself and takes her to his home/castle.
His mother and younger brother Teddy (only character name I remember) reside with him. The mother is not happy he brought a heathen to the residence and I remember Teddy was an extremely spoiled child.
Ultimately, the knight takes her as his mistress. The knight is already betrothed to someone else and when the king or father of the bride bids him to come collect the bride, he goes off with the intention of not consummating the marriage, but he drinks too much and he beds her. I remember he returns to his castle without his bride and continues his relationship with the muslim princess.
Something happens that the knight removes his younger brother Teddy from his mothers care and sends him to be trained to be a squire/knight. The mother suffers a stroke and the priest deems there is nothing left to do but let her die. When Teddy hears of this, he becomes distraught and races his horse and suffers an accident and dies.
The muslim princess takes care of the mother and proceeds to get her back to health.
Ultimately, the knight decides to return the princess back to her people because he believes she is not longer happy with him. She cuts her long beautiful hair. He breaks his hands after she leaves and his mother convinces him to go after her.
I remember the author stating something to the effect, that she hoped that her main character, if he was based on someone that was real, would have chosen someone of his choosing or loved instead of a loveless marriage.
On the cover of “Keeper of the Dream" by Penelope Williamson there is a flag that brought back the memory of this story if not the title or author of the book I”m looking for. Thank you so much for your help.

message 2: by Jmvillalva (new)

Jmvillalva | 2 comments I'm trying to see if anyone can help me remember the name or author.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33427 comments Mod
Jmvillalva, please note you can bump your request (post a comment) every 30+ days - or sooner if you remember more information. Not more often because this group is so large. Here are the Group Rules.