San Antonio Public Library discussion

Books to Movie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) What books to movie have you read? Was the book better than the movie? Or vice versa?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
Well, clearly, Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

I'm not a huge Lord of the Rings fan, so I generally liked the movies over the books. The books were plodding, the movies less so. The movies not including Tom Bombadill, and de-emphasizing some secondary characters (Glorfindel and Elrond's sons) while bringing others into the spotlight (Arwen) was, to me, generally positive, since Arwen has more importance to the story going forward, despite the neglected characters having more importance in the legendarium.

For the Hobbit, my reaction was a bit opposite. I liked "An Unexpected Journey" well enough; though there are a few things I would have liked to seen, I thought it did a good job of setting up some urgency and motivations in the story other than gold. The later entries in the series? I liked them less well. I have always been fond of Beorn, and thought they did not do him well, and wasn't overly thrilled with the Tauriel/Kili romance, especially since the actress was told that they would not be throwing a romance arc at her. I know there was some serious problems with the production of the series, and it shows on the screen.

message 3: by Beverly (last edited May 12, 2020 07:39PM) (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 64 comments Too many to list them all, but in general, I have almost always liked the book better than the movie, except for this one:
I liked Blade Runner (the original with Harrison Ford/Rutger Hauer) much better than I liked the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. I simply thought that the movie made a lot more sense than the book.

Some of my favorite movies based on books that I also loved:
Lord of the Rings (all 3)
Harry Potter (all of them)
Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth)
Murder on the Orient Express (with Albert Finney, Sean Connery)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Walden Media)

message 4: by Cris (new)

Cris (crism) | 76 comments Mod
I almost always like the book better than the movie. I found the Lord of the Rings movies different enough that--for me--they captured the spirit of the books but ended up being a different type of experience.

The only movie I've enjoyed more than the book was the Princess Bride. I adored the movie from the beginning. I still haven't made it through the entire book.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
Books and movies are such different creatures; to an extent, movies have to be about the surface; it's a lot harder to show a character's thought processes and motivations in a movie, and a lot of things have to be simplified... you can't have a chapter of backstory unless you really need to show it.

Consider, for example, Watchmen, which began life as 12 issues of a comic book. While it was fairly faithfully transferred to a movie, a lot of the background of the characters was condensed to the opening credits scene... pages and pages of characterization, replaced with a few minute sequence. The entire "Curse of the Black Frigate", and the characters associated with that comic book were excised. A lot that had to do with the conspiracy newspaper was gone... because there just wasn't time in a movie to cover that sort of thing.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina Garcia | 11 comments Mark wrote: "Books and movies are such different creatures; to an extent, movies have to be about the surface; it's a lot harder to show a character's thought processes and motivations in a movie, and a lot of ..."

Well said Mark, I agree!
Watchmen is one of my favorite graphic novels and I don't mind the movie at all, in fact, I love it. Persepolis was done really well!

A few other film adaptations that I really like are all of Dennis Lehane's books. Sure the movies were slightly different but overall I really enjoyed the movies as much as I enjoyed the books. I feel the same way about Harry Potter and the Lord of the Rings. I also read a lot of YA and what I like about recent YA film adaptations is the casting. I love that there's a lot of thought that goes into casting. The teens that they select to play characters (Dumplin', To All the Boys I've Loved Before, John Green books!) are fantastic! They are so real and the cast really tries to be the character you fall in love with in the book.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) I read Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest by Cheryl Strayed and thoroughly enjoyed it. A woman finds herself journeying on 1,100 mile hike through the Pacific Crest Trail after a series of difficult situations from her life.. death , drugs and sex. The movie was then made into a movie featuring Reese Witherspoon as Cheryl Strayed. I love that Strayed finds herself in nature, pushing herself to the limits, against all odds in the wild and alone. The pacific trail is both beautiful and harsh, an environment that can at once cause you great joy and happiness, and the next make you wonder how you will survive. I will happily watch the movie again and reread the book. It is one of those Books to Movies that I will always enjoy.