Play Book Tag discussion

May 2020: Comedy > My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, etal - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2224 comments **Cross-posted to Poll Tally**

I wasn't prepared for this at all. I couldn't imagine how this historical period would fit comedy since Lady Jane Grey died so very young. Then when the audio started, this one was particularly loud, I had to turn it down extremely low to bear it. The narrator was very "theatrical" and I found it a bit annoying. I quickly found that this was just right for this story.

The story was great fun. It reminded me a bit of of the movie Ladyhawke in places and the poetry of Gifford Dudley will sound very familiar but I won't give that away.

This is a nice blend of magical realism and an historical novel. At first I hadn't realized the book was a young adult but I have often enjoyed young adult novels so I didn't avoid it and I'm glad I did. Some of the humor came from the interruption of the narrators to the story to explain some part of the story, a different approach. This was a fun read/listen.

message 2: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments This one is on my list for next reads. Now I'm even more eager to get to it. Thanks for the review.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8534 comments AJ and I are both reading it now. In fact I think she's done. I am really enjoying this light and fun historical fantasy read right now!