Reading with Style discussion

RwS Summer 2020 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Please post any general questions about our Summer 2020 Challenge in this thread.

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments For the "multiple" style points......you get 5 points for the second book read for a task..... but do you get 5 or ten for the third?

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments For the 200 point own books bonus....is that something we all tally in on the last day? Or do you get the bonus after doing the 20 tasks and then can go forward posting books that you don't own by June 1?

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2389 comments In order to earn the 'owned book' bonus does task #30 a) have to be completed and b) have to be an owned book?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Ed wrote: "For the "multiple" style points......you get 5 points for the second book read for a task..... but do you get 5 or ten for the third?"

Each repeat is 5 points, it does not compound.

message 6: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited May 12, 2020 01:00PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Ed wrote: "For the 200 point own books bonus....is that something we all tally in on the last day? Or do you get the bonus after doing the 20 tasks and then can go forward posting books that you don't own by ..."

That is for the entire season, and you claim on the last day. It applies whether you read 5 books or 30. You do not have to read for all of the tasks as you would for a Mega.

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "For the "multiple" style points......you get 5 points for the second book read for a task..... but do you get 5 or ten for the third?"

Each repeat is 5 points, it does not compound."

ok...got it...thanks.

message 8: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed wrote: "For the 200 point own books bonus....is that something we all tally in on the last day? Or do you get the bonus after doing the 20 tasks and then can go forward posting books that you do..."

thanks

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Valerie wrote: "In order to earn the 'owned book' bonus does task #30 a) have to be completed and b) have to be an owned book?"

See my answer to Ed above. This doesn't really replace the Mega. We thought perhaps a carrot on a stick would be enough for all of you to get to those piles of books!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments The Multiple Style comes from the very early days of RwS as a reply to SRC where you cannot repeat tasks. Here, you can load up on a favorite task and never look to the others if you want. And this summer, if you like one task well enough, 20 repeats is the same score as an RwS finish. Just sayin' ...

message 11: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The Multiple Style comes from the very early days of RwS as a reply to SRC where you cannot repeat tasks. Here, you can load up on a favorite task and never look to the others if you want. And this..."

Thanks....yes...that was what I was calculating.

message 12: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2389 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "In order to earn the 'owned book' bonus does task #30 a) have to be completed and b) have to be an owned book?"

See my answer to Ed above. This doesn't really replace the Mega. We ..."

Ok, I've got it! Yay to carrots!

message 13: by Mary (last edited May 12, 2020 05:21PM) (new)

Mary | 783 comments Great idea to have the owned book bonus! Just want to be sure I understand what counts as « owned or in possession «  as of June 1. Will they include:

1. Hard copy (paper) book that is owned
2. Ebook (kindle or other format) that has been downloaded or purchased (includes free downloads)
3. Hard copy library books that are in your possession on June 1 (I have a stack from the Library that they do NOT want back until they reopen. )
4. Electronic Library books that are checked out on June 1
5. Anything else?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Mary wrote: "Great idea to have the owned book bonus! Just want to be sure I understand what counts as « owned or in possession «  as of June 1. Will they include:

1. Hard copy (paper) book that is owned
2. Eb..."

I think that covers it.

message 15: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1869 comments 3. Hard copy library books that are in your possession on June 1 (I have a stack from the Library that they do NOT want back until they reopen. )
I had a stack in March when the local libraries closed -- I've finished reading most of them by now. If the local library opens May 18, as they say today that they will, I'll exchange that stack for another stack.
Normally I read 1 owned book for every 3 library books.

message 16: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments I have a question about jumbo style points. I want to challenge myself to read some longer books this season and several I have on my shelf are editions that contain books that form a trilogy but which were originally published separately.

For example:
U.S.A.: The 42nd Parallel / 1919 / The Big Money by John Dos Passos

The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peake

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

If I read any of these then can I count them as one book or would I have to count each book of a trilogy individually? Thank you!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Bryony wrote: "I have a question about jumbo style points. I want to challenge myself to read some longer books this season and several I have on my shelf are editions that contain books that form a trilogy but w..."

Those specific titles we would accept as one title.

And good for you Bryony. I am a relatively slow reader and know that, if I read 3 of that length, I probably wouldn't be able to finish 5 books in order to qualify for the rewards.

message 18: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Thanks Elizabeth! I’m not a particularly fast reader so I’m hoping to hit my goal by finding some extra reading time - I’m not sure yet how successful I will be but I’m looking forward to trying nonetheless.

So that I don’t get too demotivated I think I’m going to let myself read some easy or short books alongside the longer ones. It’s actually perfect for me that the lexile requirement is lower for summer as one of my favourite easy reads is the Poirot series. I’m reading mostly in order and I’m up to book 14. I noticed that several of the next books in the series have scores under 800 so it’s nice that I’ll hopefully be able to count a few of them this season.

message 19: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Will fantasy settings that are based on a county/region work?

E.g., I'm looking at The Rosewater Insurrection, which is set in a fantasy or future Nigeria.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Joanna wrote: "Will fantasy settings that are based on a county/region work?

E.g., I'm looking at The Rosewater Insurrection, which is set in a fantasy or future Nigeria."

As long as the setting is clear, the time period doesn't matter. That looks like it will work for Africa.

message 21: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1563 comments Oh, gosh. I thought this group had a rule for page counts and MPE, but I cannot find it. Several of my planned books are Kindle books.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Bea wrote: "Oh, gosh. I thought this group had a rule for page counts and MPE, but I cannot find it. Several of my planned books are Kindle books"

From our FAQ:

How is the "most popular edition" determined?
The Most Popular Edition (MPE) is the first book that comes up when you search for the title. Alternately, you can click on the "Other Editions" link on the book cover and sort by number of ratings. Make sure that the most popular edition is an English language print edition; not an ebook, audiobook, or large print edition.

message 23: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Regarding the owned/in possession books bonus, I just wanted to be sure I haven’t missed anything that’s required to record the books we have on hand on 1 June (eg using Goodreads owned books feature or adding books to a specific shelf)?

Most of my owned ebooks are on my Goodreads TBR but I have many hard copy books that I’ve never got around to adding to Goodreads so I just wanted to check I haven’t missed any rule about this. Thank you!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments You are entirely on your honor about the Owned Books bonus. We won't be checking on anything anywhere.

message 25: by Bryony (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 247 comments Thank you! I thought that was the case but just wanted to check in case I’d somehow missed anything in the rules.

message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4490 comments I had 3 books I ordered for another group project in plenty of time that fell victim to mail theft we've been having at our rural mailbox, so I reordered and they won't be here in time, but other than that, I've been planning my audios and Kindle reads and want to get through as many print books I own as I can.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments I have a question, i am reading this series Alanna: The First Adventure and it has young adult but when i looked in the lexile the book doesn't come up. It qualifies for some combos i wanted to get.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I have a question, i am reading this series Alanna: The First Adventure and it has young adult but when i looked in the lexile the book doesn't come up. It qualifies for some combos i ..."

That book has a Lexile of 690. It qualifies for 5 Oldies points, but there are no combos this season.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments Ok, thank you :)

message 30: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments The Allingham Minibus was first published in 1973, but Margery Allingham died in 1966. What would be the publication date for the Mystery Challenge?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Rosemary wrote: "The Allingham Minibus was first published in 1973, but Margery Allingham died in 1966. What would be the publication date for the Mystery Challenge?"

Again, I think that is up to you. Actually, I was thinking myself about how we, individually, might treat short stories that are mysteries. Would we just use the pub date of the collection or would we count the pub date of each included story to fill in our years? I haven't gotten to the point of worrying about this for myself. I tend to think if I was getting down to the last dozen years or so, and all I could find for one of them was a short story, I'd grab it up and count myself lucky.

As to the Allingham - do you know if all of those were published in her lifetime? I should try to research it. GR uses as the pub date the date of the most recently published included story, so 1973 might not be right for that collection by GR standards.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Rosemary wrote: "The Allingham Minibus was first published in 1973, but Margery Allingham died in 1966. What would be the publication date for the Mystery Challenge?"

Follow-up:

I started to research and I can find that the story "Publicity" was published only in this volume - I have no other leads. In that case, based on GR policy, the 1973 original publication date will stand.

But there is an Allingham website that has dates for some of the stories and all of the books. You may find it worth looking at.

https://margeryallingham.org.uk/the-n...

message 33: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 20, 2020 02:32PM) (new)

Rosemary | 2857 comments Thanks for researching it, Elizabeth! I will go with the 1973 date since that's what GR does. I don't want to use all the dates of all the stories - that would make it too easy... although if I'm still working on it ten years from now, I might change my mind :)