Cedar Falls Public Library discussion

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
June Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
We took a poll of what we wanted to discuss in June and The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek won. We will start discussing it June 1st to give people a chance to read it. It is on Hoopla.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Did you like "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek"? I was recommended to me a while ago and I finally read it a couple months ago. I really liked it.

Pamela (finestfeathers) | 1 comments Liked it a lot.

Cindy Michael | 48 comments I was fascinated with the subject of "blue-skinned" people...of course googled it and found some interesting pictures and information. Cussy was certainly a likable character to connect with and admire her devotion to books and literacy!

message 5: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
I'm glad you guys liked it! I was also fascinated by the blu-skinned people and googled it. I never heard about that before. Also the discrimination Cussy experienced was probably very real for people with this condition. Cussy was a great character.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
Has anyone read Jojo Moyes' The giver of stars? It is also about traveling librarians during the depression era.

Mary | 3 comments I'm going to pick it up next. I started it about a week after
I read Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, but the writing
style was too different and I realized I was using my impression
of the former book to influence my receptivity to Giver of Stars.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 263 comments Mod
That's interesting Mary. The Giver of Stars is very popular and the Bookwoman is relatively unknown. People that have read Bookwoman really liked it. I am wondering if The Giver of Stars is popular because it's JoJo Moyes and the topic was interesting.