Batesburg-Leesville Branch - It's A Hardback Life discussion

Above the Waterfall > Characters: What did you think? Anyone really grab your attention?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Ciriello | 14 comments Mod
I have mixed feelings about the sheriff. I thought he was a good guy but it seems like he was taking bribes.
As for Becky, I didn’t care for her at all. Also feel like we were supposed to get more of her back story than we did.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I apologize for such a late answer but I just finished the audio book. I really miss the library - can you open it up just for me?!
My thoughts about the sheriff, Les: It seems he was weary of being a sheriff by the end but you could tell he was good at it. He also comes across as an underachiever. But the scene of the meth bust with the baby - which made me so upset at the possible outcome concerning the baby it almost made me turn the book off - could be the reason the sheriff was done. And I guess taking bribes from potheads (which is legal in some places now - pot not bribes) seems almost harmless compared to the insanity of crystal meth - so destructive. He was far from perfect. Even in his relationships.
Becky was very hard to like as an adult but you can see how tragic her backstory was and why she was the way she was. Trauma ruled her life. Trauma and rejection. She thought she was responsible for her teachers death, and she felt her parents rejected her because of her silence - which they actually told her. Her response was to kinda reject people and look to nature.
Gerald was a cranky old man. And everyone else seemed sad, dejected, or just existing. Except the pawn shop guy - I think he was okay with who he was and what he did.
Ok this was a long answer. When can we meet again? I miss everyone!!

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Ciriello | 14 comments Mod
Thanks for the great comments! I would love to open up just for book club, but that would probably be frowned upon - at least.
Pawn shop guy seemed very pragmatic.

Batesburg-Leesville Branch - It's A Hardback Life

unread topics | mark unread