Reading the 20th Century discussion

John Irving
This topic is about John Irving
Favourite Authors > John Irving

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nigeyb (last edited May 11, 2020 03:45AM) (new)

Nigeyb | 8772 comments Mod
I have yet to listen to the latest Backlisted Podcast, out this very day folks, however it it is about...

The World According to Garp by John Irving

Do we have many John Irving fans in the group?

I haven't read any for decades however there was a time when I was in love with his work and worked my way through....

The World According to Garp
The Hotel New Hampshire
The Cider House Rules
A Prayer for Owen Meany

...and really liked them all. I'd imagine I'd have given each of those five stars had I been rating and reviewing then

I notice there are lots more of his books that I have not read and wondered whether I should be putting that right?

What's the all important RTTC verdict?

Back to The World According to Garp, I'm pretty sure it's this book that has the "oral sex in the car" moment. Ouch. Once read, that can never be unread. I think it's also in Garp where the feminist group all cut out their tongues in solidarity with the little girl.

I'll report back once I've listened to the podcast

message 2: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia | 4400 comments Mod
Nigeyb wrote: " I'm pretty sure it's this book that has the "oral sex in the car" moment. Ouch. Once read, that can never be unread. I think it's also in Garp where the feminist group all cut out their tongues in solidarity with the little girl."

Blimey! I've never read any Irving - and now wonder what I've been missing all this time... ;)

message 3: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 706 comments I have never read any either - most of them look rather long and that is probably what deterred me.

message 4: by Nigeyb (new)

Nigeyb | 8772 comments Mod
Thanks Hugh. Thanks Roman Clodia

You two must be a lot younger than I thought ;-)

I've now listened to the podcast and the consensus was that Garp really stands up as a novel and remains incredibly contemporary, which I was surprised about. The discussion certainly inspires me to revisit it.

The books I mention above do, still, seem to be the best of the bunch despite his remaining productive and popular

message 5: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 706 comments I didn't read much American fiction at all in my 20s and 30s.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4376 comments Mod
I used to love John Irving when I was young, and really liked all the four books you mention, Nigeyb, but whenever I've tried his more recent books they have not appealed. Either he has changed or I have.

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 1079 comments I've read The Hotel New Hampshire and part of The Cider House Rules. I saw both movies, too.