#ClassicsCommunity 2021 Reading Challenge discussion

North and South
This topic is about North and South
Buddy Reads > North and South June Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tammie | 79 comments Hi Everyone!
This is the topic for the North and South buddy read starting in June. I'm hoping to try and get the reading schedule sorted soon and get it posted in here.

Leah | 51 comments I can't wait!

Leah | 51 comments wait that sounded rude, I just mean I'm excited :)

Tammie | 79 comments Leah wrote: "wait that sounded rude, I just mean I'm excited :)"

Same, I've been recommended this book for years because of how much I love Pride and Prejudice.

Nidhi Kumari | 24 comments Last night I finished this book. 5 stars and fit for re reads. This book is very different from all others of its age ( Austen’s and Eliot ‘s ) and absolutely justifies its title. I will be following discussions on this thread.

message 6: by Georgie (new)

Georgie Minter-Brown (georgiemb) | 19 comments Just added this to my kindle, can’t wait to read it!

Tammie | 79 comments Georgie wrote: "Just added this to my kindle, can’t wait to read it!"

Excited to have you joining us!

Antonia Sundrup (antonia_sundrup) | 3 comments I will be joining as well - I ordered the book today!

Tammie | 79 comments Antonia wrote: "I will be joining as well - I ordered the book today!"

Yay! I'm hoping to order the book this Friday so that I can sort out the reading schedule.

message 10: by Nathalie (new) - added it

Nathalie (naedly) | 11 comments I am also in ;) have my copy already!

Tammie | 79 comments Nati wrote: "I am also in ;) have my copy already!"

V i c k s wrote: "Hey! I'll be joining as well! Very exciteddXD"

So excited to have you both joining!

Tammie | 79 comments Hey everyone!

My copy of the book came today so I've been trying to figure out a reading schedule and I'm thinking maybe 2 or 3 chapters a day until it's finished. If any of you have a different idea then I would be happy to hear it, I would also like to know if you would prefer 2 or 3 chapters.

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I would be fine with 3 chapters a day! my copy is still on it's way~

Tammie | 79 comments Yay! I'm really excited for June now.

message 15: by Nathalie (new) - added it

Nathalie (naedly) | 11 comments There is an adaption from BBC ;)

Tammie | 79 comments Nathalie wrote: "There is an adaption from BBC ;)"

V i c k s wrote: "Yess can't wait! Do you guys now if there is any movie adaptation of the book?"

The BBC adaptation is wonderful.

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I don't think that my physical copy will be here in time but the ebook is free on kindle so I'll be ready to start whenever everyone else is :)

message 18: by Brittany (new) - added it

Brittany | 17 comments Hi everyone! I'd also like to join. I found the ebook on scribd but haven't started yet :)

Tammie | 79 comments I was just thinking that if everyone is ready to start the book, we could start on Monday?

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I would be ready to start on Monday

Tammie | 79 comments V i c k s wrote: "I don't think I'll be able cuz I still have some books to finish, but go ahead! I'll catch up later ;)"

Only if you're 100% sure that you're okay with it?

Antonia Sundrup (antonia_sundrup) | 3 comments Monday works perfectly for me as well!

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments So everyone is fine to start on Monday! This should be great, if we stick with 3 chapers a day it should take us 2-3 weeks to finish the book. Is everyone happy with this or is it too fast for anyone? :)

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments Sorry if this feels like I'm trying to take over Tammie! I know you are the one who is organising the whole buddy read~

Tammie | 79 comments Leah wrote: "Sorry if this feels like I'm trying to take over Tammie! I know you are the one who is organising the whole buddy read~"

It's completely fine, I'm perfectly happy with that schedule as long as everyone else is.

message 26: by Quan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Quan | 8 comments I am looking forward to finally taking this off of my TBR! It’s been on for 20 years!

message 27: by Nathalie (new) - added it

Nathalie (naedly) | 11 comments So we'll read about 30 pages a day, right? For me it would be fine if we do a mix between 2 and 3 chapters a day :)

Tammie | 79 comments Nathalie wrote: "So we'll read about 30 pages a day, right? For me it would be fine if we do a mix between 2 and 3 chapters a day :)"

I think depending on the length of chapters there might be a mix of 2 to 3 chapters a day.

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments Are we reading 2 or 3 chapters tomorrow?

Tammie | 79 comments Leah wrote: "Are we reading 2 or 3 chapters tomorrow?"

I'm thinking we should start with 3, to start it all of with a bang.

message 31: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments Okay~

Tammie | 79 comments I'm so excited to start today.

message 33: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I've read the first 3 chapters and I don't have a lot of thoughts so far since not much has happened but I can say that I enjoyed the writing! It has that simple but elegant style that makes it easy to understand and still be beautiful. I also quite like Margaret as our main character, she seems quite indecisive which I think will become interesting later on.

What do you all think?

Tammie | 79 comments I haven't been able to get around to reading yet today because I've been at work but I'm just about to sit down and read now.

message 35: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments That's alright~ take your time

message 36: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I totally overlooked her beauty of nature actually but I bet that'll be important when she moves up North

message 37: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments ^ That's in the synopsis so I thought it would be okay to say

message 38: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments 2 today is probably better so people who are a little behind have a chance to catch up :)

Tammie | 79 comments Hi guys, sorry for not being very active so far this week (work has been very hectic). I've just finished reading the first three chapters and I'm really enjoying it, I can already see why everyone has recommended this to me as a match for Pride and Prejudice.

I already feel very connected with Margaret as a main character and I see a lot of myself in her. Is it just me who loves Henry?

I'm planning on reading more of it tonight so I just want to know what chapters you're all up to so we can be at the same point.

Tammie | 79 comments V i c k s wrote: "Im currently on ch6, and planning on reading one or two more chapters today"

Thank you, sorry again for not being active even though I started this.

message 41: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I am on chapter 6 as well

message 42: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments We've gotten a bit of an insight to John Thornton's character these last few chapters, what do you all think?

message 43: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I agree I think he will become closer with Margaret later on too especially since the two seem in a lot of ways the opposite of each other

Ashley  Jacobson | 181 comments I want to join!! I’ll catch up quickly. This books has been sitting on myself for about 2 years and I keep saying I’ll get to it soon. Now is the time! I am reading so much nonfiction right now that I probably need to start a novel! Just discussing her right? I saw the start of a discussion and scrolled over it so I can start before I read any thoughts. Excited! Thanks all!

Ashley  Jacobson | 181 comments Discussing HERE....not her...oops

Ashley  Jacobson | 181 comments So I love the comparisons between Edith’s normal type of beauty (she’s compared to Titania, a popular fairy name after Shakespeare used it in a play- so she’s like a fairy queen) and Margaret’s more irregular beauty and skepticism about feminine things.

There’s a note in my book about her describing Helstone in chapter 1. It says she paints an over idealized picture and Lennox draws attention to it, but then he does the same thing in chapter 3. However she is going to “painfully revise her view on a return visit” so I guess I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Antonia Sundrup (antonia_sundrup) | 3 comments So I have read 13 chapters as of now... I am pretty sure I am behind schedule, but how far in is everyone else? What chapters should I be reading?

Anyway, I am really enjoying myself so far. This has already been said, but I really love the writing style and Margaret as a character. I also like the other characters and how the relationships between them are portrayed.

message 48: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah | 51 comments I'm on chapter 30 :) I've been reading 3 chapter a day since we started and will catch up on some days I missed tonight

Ashley  Jacobson | 181 comments How is feminism portrayed throughout the novel so far? What are your thoughts on how the different characters act in reference to different feminine ideals?

message 50: by Quan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Quan | 8 comments ...loyalty and obedience to wisdom and justice are fine; but it is still finer to defy arbitrary power unjustly and cruelly used... pg. 165

Margaret is a beautifully written character. I see so much Austen in this book. I like that Thornton’s attraction to Margaret is not merely implied like that of Darcy for Elizabeth. Gaskell’s writing is really enjoyable and reads like a BBC film. Lived in north England in 1997-1998 and same prejudices continued to exist. The north as uneducated and unrefined. I will that the dialect was so very difficult to comprehend for me. Their northerners are stigmatized like the southerners here in the US.

« previous 1