Aussie Readers discussion

Catherine  Lee
This topic is about Catherine Lee
Book Related Banter > Some news for fans of Catherine Lee/Grace York

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70516 comments Mod
From Aussie author Catherine Lee

As some of you know, in addition to my darker crime fiction, I also write cozy mysteries. Yes, I’m spelling it cozy with a z, even though in Australia we use British spelling and it should be cosy with an s. As much as it upsets my editor (sorry Amanda!), I’ve adopted US spelling just for this one word as it’s a huge genre and most readers of cozies recognise the z spelling rather than the s. We’re just going to have to roll with it.

I first published my cozy mystery series under a pseudonym, Grace York. I didn’t want readers of the cozies to find the Dark books with all their death and swearing (particularly the swearing) and be horrified by my vivid imagination and potty mouth.

However, using a pseudonym has presented significant challenges from a marketing perspective. As it turns out, there is a lot of reader crossover between the genres. There are quite a few of you who already enjoy both series, and I suspect many more people would, given the chance.

So I’ve taken the plunge and republished all the Grace York books under my own name.

First, though, I revised all of the Dark books (now officially called the Detective Charlie Cooper Mysteries) to remove the swearing. I know, I said I’d never do this. Real-life Sydney cops swear, and I had hoped to keep an element of realism by including that in my stories. But as I read through them recently, I realised it didn’t actually need to be there. Removing the f-bombs and a few other choice words didn’t change the drama or the fun of the stories.

So I did it.

Which means I’ve been able to safely combine both my author names into one, my real name, and save myself a lot of trouble going forward. I no longer need to manage two email lists, two facebook profiles, two websites, etc. And readers of one series can now easily find the other.

Of course I’ve probably stuffed things up on Goodreads, though. Sorry to all my friends over there!

If you’ve not been introduced to the Getaway Bay Cozy mysteries yet, you can find out all about them on my website:

https://www.catherineleeauthor.com/?u...

The first book, Arson at the Art Gallery, is currently free on all retailers.

If cozies aren’t your thing, no worries, I’m still working on "Dark Justice". It’s turning out to be the hardest book I’ve written to date, and I don’t think that’s just because it’s the end of my first series.

Hopefully it’ll be worth the wait.

Happy reading,

C xx

Veronica ⭐️ | 2254 comments Thanks for the update. I am going to check them out now!

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome Veronica :) You'll find a couple of freebies there too!

Veronica ⭐️ | 2254 comments Brenda wrote: "You're welcome Veronica :) You'll find a couple of freebies there too!"

thank you. yes I did. I love the cozies covers, so cute.

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

They are, I love them too!

message 6: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1679 comments I definitely snagged the first book in the series! Fantastic!

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Good job Krystal :)

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Lee | 13 comments Thanks so much for posting this, Brenda.

Happy to answer questions if anyone has them, just give me a bit of time to respond – it's moving day for the Wandering Writers!

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

That's good of you Catherine, happy travelling :)

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane | 498 comments Thanks for posting this Brenda. I'm just coming to the end of Kerry Greenwood's Corinna Chapman series and was looking for another Australian cozy mystery writer. I read Catherine's Charlie Cooper mysteries and enjoy them, so this is perfect timing. Thanks Catherine for the first one for free - it's now on my Kobo already!

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You're welcome Jane. It's a lovely series, I'd happily read it all day, but I'm up to date!!

message 12: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Lee | 13 comments You're welcome, Jane. Hope you enjoy the cozies!

message 13: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

An update from Catherine - 28/8/20

Hello, Dear Readers.

It’s been a few months since I last emailed, and I apologise for that. Life has been rolling on at quite a pace here at Dark HQ.

Which brings me to the topic of this email – The new Dark HQ on wheels!

I revealed back in November last year that Bill and I had purchased a VW Crafter that we planned to have fitted out.

Well the conversion is complete, we’ve been living in her for three months now, and I have to say, I’m in bit in love.

Here are a couple of pics of Wanda, our tiny house on wheels:

Isn’t she a beaut!

That last photo (with the kookaburra on the corner of the awning) was taken in our current location, Bill’s mum’s backyard in Far North Queensland. Hence the sunshine in the middle of winter – it doesn’t really get very cold here.

Bill’s mum is having a hip replacement, so we’re here to help out for a bit. Being able to drive our home to wherever we want or need to go is one of the nicest things about living in a van.

We’ve had a few teething issues with Wanda, and already managed to get bogged (I am no longer in charge of inspecting the ground before we park), but life on the road is definitely suiting both of us.

It’s been a challenging year so far all around the world, and like others I’ve been feeling the stress and perhaps not getting as much writing done as I would have liked. But now that we have our home we’re settling into a new (sort of) routine, the words are finally flowing, and Dark Justice is taking shape. I’m more than halfway and expect to have a draft ready for editing by the end of September. That means the release might not happen until early next year, but it’s definitely coming. Thanks for your patience.

In cozy mystery news, I’ve decided I will definitely be writing more adventures for Addison and her crew at Getaway Bay. I just had too much fun writing the first eight books of the series, and they are a great break from the darker stuff. Once Dark Justice is done I will alternate between writing cozies and a new thriller series – so stay tuned!

Happy reading,

C xx

message 14: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11682 comments Mod
So happy she is going to return to Getaway Bay. Those books are such fun reads:)

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I agree, I emailed her back to tell her we were happy about that news!

message 16: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Lee | 13 comments I already have titles in mind for most of the rest of the alphabet – it would be a shame not to write them!

message 17: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm curious as to X Catherine ;) Thanks for dropping in!

message 18: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11682 comments Mod
I used to try and guess what the next one would be - I never got one right though:)
I just saw someone else has written a book titled Stiff in the Sand: Cozy Mystery. That's different!!!

message 19: by Kylie H (last edited Aug 29, 2020 04:43PM) (new)

Kylie H | 854 comments Thanks for this thread Brenda, that answers a mystery for me, I thought I was going mad!!! I had written a couple of the books into the challenges with the name Grace York, and then had trouble finding the books on my Kindle searching by author. I did find them eventually and was stumped as to why the author was Catherine Lee.
PS I am really enjoying the Getaway Bay series ☺

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It's a fabulous series isn't it Kylie :) Catherine always has news for us about her two series (and soon to be another) so it's good to share with everyone as she has quite a few fans in the group.

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

More great news from our travelling author via her newsletter:

''Greetings, Crime Fiction Lovers!

Time for a writing update, and I think it’s a good one – I’ve finally finished the first draft of Dark Justice!

It’s been a rough year for everyone. Although we’ve stayed relatively safe here in our little traveling home in Australia, I haven’t been totally immune to the effects of the ‘Covirus’, as my mother-in-law refers to it.

Mostly, my writing routines have been out the window. It’s just been so darn hard to concentrate. But come July this year I made a commitment to myself and you, lovely readers, that I was going to knuckle down and finish this book.

So I did, and I have to say I’m a little bit proud of myself. It’s quite possibly my worst year production-wise since I started writing all those years ago (not counting the five years it took to write Dark Heart, learning curve, anyone?), but I am immensely pleased to get this final Cooper and Quinn story out of my head and onto the page.

And, some fast editing efforts from the stellar AJ at Phoenix Editing means I will have this book published before the end of 2020. Hooray!

I’m working through the edits now, and there aren’t too many big issues with it (apparently) so once that’s done it’ll be back to AJ for a copy edit and out to you sometime in December. It won’t go up on pre-order, because the folk at Amazon have me in pre-order purgatory until January (don’t get me started), but I’ll let you know by email as soon as it’s published.

I’ve also made a start on book nine in the Getaway Bay Cozy Mysteries, for those of you who are cozy fans. An Ill-Fated Invitation sees Addison and the Beach House Murder Club head to Melbourne (pre-Covid, but only just) for Justin and Emily’s wedding. As the title suggests, things don’t go according to plan for at least one wedding guest.

It’s quite possible Addison and the gang might get stuck down there for book ten as well. Will they make it out of the southern state and back home to sunny Queensland before lockdown? I wonder…

So the writing is back on track. Next year will hopefully see more than one book release, assuming life doesn’t throw us any more curve balls. Seriously, 2021 has to be better, doesn’t it? Doesn’t it?

That brings me to this month’s question, and your answer would really help me with planning what to write for the next year or so. Hit me back with an email if you’ve got a minute to spare.

Question of the month:

Which book are you looking forward to most?
A) Detective Charlie Cooper Book 7 – Dark Justice

B) Getaway Bay Cozy Mystery Book 9 – An Ill-fated Invitation

C) Both

D) Neither – who are you and why do you keep sending me emails?'' ((this one made me laugh!!))

If anyone wants to reply to Catherine's question, this is her email address: catherine@catherineleeauthor.com