What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical romance lady lives in India all her life and hero comes to India on a mission

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (new)

Julia Ghanem | 2 comments So all i remember is the book being about a lady who lived her whole life in india(maybe learnt the language) and she has brothers.
The hero comes to india to deliver an important message that can alter political relationship between england and india.
Not sure about this but i remember in the beginning of the book he saves her from something on the streets
And then i also remember the plot includes a part where shes trying to convince and save her indian friend from the ritual of burning herself alive for a dead husband.

message 2: by Iamdebster (last edited May 10, 2020 10:50PM) (new)

Iamdebster | 6 comments I'm thinking it might be Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas.
There is also The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran

message 3: by Julia (new)

Julia Ghanem | 2 comments Iamdebster wrote: "I'm thinking it might be Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas.
There is also The Duke of Shadows by Meredith Duran"

i read both but neither books are what im looking for. but thank you anyways

message 4: by Denise (new)

Denise Ribas | 1 comments I read both too , but .... Thanks anyway

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
Not everything matches but this certainly made me think of The Jewel in the Crown. But it's literary fiction, not romance. Edwina Crane is an elderly woman who has lived most or all her life in India, teaching at missionary schools. At one point she finds herself out on the street during a rampage of local Indians. Her car is set fire to and her companion (not romantic), an Indian man who is a fellow teacher, saves her life but he is killed by the mob.

Later, Edwina Crane kills herself by self-immolation in a burning hut, as if she is a widow committing suttee.

The whole series (4 books) is set during the Raj. I don't remember any brothers though.