Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > A&U Giveaways – June and July releases

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allen and Unwin (last edited May 10, 2020 07:26PM) (new)

Allen and Unwin (allenandunwin) | 65 comments Hi Aussie Readers, welcome to another bumper batch of giveaways! We have an exciting list of upcoming titles including the latest novel from Caroline Beecham the bestselling author of Maggie's Kitchen, a hilarious family comedy from Kate Hilton, a brilliant alternative retelling of Captain James Cook's story and a stunning debut novel from star on the rise Jessie Tu.

Enter now for the chance to win your own selection of advance reading copies from our list below!

On a Barbarous Coast is an alternative retelling of Captain James Cook's story co-written by Craig Cormick and Harold Ludwick in the tradition of imagined histories.

We were becoming the wild things we most feared, but could not see it at the time.

On a night of raging winds and rain, Captain Cook's Endeavour lies splintered on a coral reef off the coast of far north Australia. A small disparate band of survivors, fracturing already, huddle on the shore of this strange land - their pitiful salvage scant protection from the dangers of the unknown creatures and natives that live here.

Watching these mysterious white beings, the Guugu Yimidhirr people cannot decide if they are ancestor spirits to be welcomed - or hostile spirits to be speared. One headstrong young boy, Garrgiil, determines to do more than watch and to be the one to find out what exactly they are.

Fierce, intriguing and thoughtful, On a Barbarous Coast is the story of a past and future that might have been.

‘Australia’s “origin” story brilliantly re-imagined, in which Indigenous Australians rightfully assume their central place.' Susan Johnson, author of The Broken Book.

The author of Maggie's Kitchen and Eleanor's Secret delivers another compelling story of love and mystery during wartime.

London 1943: War and dwindling resources are taking their toll on the staff of Partridge Press. The pressure is on to create new books to distract readers from the grim realities of the war, but Partridge's rising star, Alice Cotton, leaves abruptly and cannot be found.

Alice's secret absence is to birth her child, and although her baby's father remains unnamed, Alice's mother promises to help her raise her tiny granddaughter, Eadie. Instead, she takes a shocking action.

Theo Bloom is employed by the American office of Partridge. When he is tasked with helping the British publisher overcome their challenges, Theo has his own trials to face before he can return to New York to marry his fiancee.

Inspired by real events during the Second World War, Finding Eadie is a story about the triumph of three friendships bound by hope, love, secrets and the belief that books have the power to change lives.

PRAISE FOR Eleanor's Secret
‘Fans of Natasha Lester and Kate Morton will very much enjoy this new release and the dual time zones mean the book will appeal to a broader audience.’ Debbishdotcom

Maggie's Kitchen
‘Extremely engaging ... reads like the work of a veteran storyteller.’ Sydney Morning Herald

Growing up is always hard, but especially when so many think you're a washed-up has-been at twenty-two.

Jena Chung plays the violin. She was once a child prodigy and is now addicted to sex. She's struggling a little. Her professional life comprises rehearsals, concerts, auditions and relentless practice; her personal life is spent managing family demands, those of her creative friends, and lots of sex. Jena is selfish, impulsive and often behaves badly, though mostly only to her own detriment. And then she meets Mark - much older and worldly-wise - who bewitches her. Could this be love?

When Jena wins an internship with the New York Philharmonic, she thinks the life she has dreamed of is about to begin. But when Trump is elected, New York changes irrevocably and Jena along with it. Is the dream over? With echoes of Frances Ha, Jena's favourite film, truths are gradually revealed to her. Jena comes to learn that there are many different ways to live and love and that no one has the how-to guide for any of it - not even her indomitable mother.

A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing by Jessie Tu unflinchingly explores the confusion of having expectations upturned, and the awkwardness and pain of being human in our increasingly dislocated world - and how, in spite of all this, we still try to become the person we want to be. It is a dazzling, original and astounding debut from a young writer with a fierce, intelligent and fearless new voice.

A brilliant generational family comedy for fans of Curtis Sittenfeld and Nora Ephron, and television’s This Is Us, Offspring and Parenthood.

Kate Hilton’s writing reminds me of Nora Ephron's work ... Witty, poignant, and deeply observant, I loved every moment I spent with Hilton's latest novel!’ Marissa Stapley, bestselling author of The Last Resort

It isn't easy being related to a feminist icon, especially when she's celebrating the greatest moment of her storied career.

Just ask the daughters of Lydia Hennessey, who could have it all if only they'd stop self-destructing. Mariana, the eldest, is on the verge of throwing away a distinguished reputation in journalism, along with her marriage. Nina, the middle daughter, has returned from a medical mission overseas as a changed woman but won't discuss it with anyone. And Beata, the youngest, has a hostile teenaged son who just discovered the existence of a father who didn't know about him either. Meanwhile, their cousin Zoe is making divorce look like a death-match while her brother, Zack, is grappling with the fallout from his popular television dramedy, which is based far too closely on Lydia herself.

Over the course of an eventful year, the Hennessey children contend with the big struggles of midlife: ageing parents, raging teens, crumbling marriages and bodies, new loves and the choice between playing it safe or taking life-altering risks. And as they inch toward a new definition of happiness they might even persuade their parents-and themselves-that they're all grown up.

Praise for Kate Hilton:

Better Luck Next Time is a hilarious, captivating novel for fans of Where'd You Go, Bernadette and The Nest. If you've ever been part of a family, or wished perhaps you weren't, you'll adore this tender, wise novel about the ways that love imprisons and liberates.’ - Elizabeth Renzetti, author of Based on A True Story

You can learn more about all these books, and win one (or a few) advance reading copies, over on our website: www.allenandunwin.com/aussie-readers

Thanks as ever for all your reviews of our books!

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee Hermansen | 109 comments I get so excited when I see this post. I love seeing what books you have available to us each month. Once again you have supplied a great selection.
Thank you so much.

message 3: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 418 comments Me too Renee!
Interesting books again, thanks A&U!

message 4: by Gloria (new)

Gloria Arthur (Ms. G's Bookshelf) (gloriaarthur) | 340 comments Great titles available, thanks A&U!

message 5: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 10, 2020 08:59PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6272 comments Renee wrote: "I get so excited when I see this post. I love seeing what books you have available to us each month. Once again you have supplied a great selection.
Thank you so much."

Me too! Thanks A&U 🤗

message 6: by Karren (last edited May 10, 2020 09:46PM) (new)

Karren  Sandercock  (karrensandercock) | 222 comments Thanks A&U I would love to win a copy of Finding Eadie as I really enjoyed reading Maggie's Kitchen.

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo Rushby | 236 comments I have entered and would love to read Finding Eadie. Thanks A & U for another selection.

message 8: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 310 comments I am adding all of these to my 'want to read' list!

message 9: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (cloggiedownunder) | 8143 comments Thanks, A&U!

message 10: by Deb (new)

Deb | 203 comments Love how the titles are so varied! Something to appeal to everyone.

Thanks!

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 69320 comments Mod
Thanks A&U :)

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (alsmi) | 4 comments how exciting! love A&U giveaways!

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4558 comments Thanks A&U.

message 14: by Bec (new)

Bec (gecko-girl) | 238 comments Great selection

message 15: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Thanks so much A&U 👍

message 16: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments What a great selection again A & U! Thank you

message 17: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments Thanks A&U. Have entered for a couple of these.

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee Hermansen | 109 comments Just received an email to say I have won a copy of Better Luck Next Time. Sounds great. Thanks so much A&U. Looking forward to it.

message 19: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments Renee wrote: "Just received an email to say I have won a copy of Better Luck Next Time. Sounds great. Thanks so much A&U. Looking forward to it."

Congrats Renee. hope you enjoy it.

message 20: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Received Finding Eadie by Caroline Beecham Finding Eadie by Caroline Beecham this morning, which I won :)

message 21: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments That one looks good Brenda. Congrats.

message 22: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Thanks Dale - I really enjoyed her previous one, so I'm hopeful this will be as good :)

message 23: by Janelle (new)

Janelle | 418 comments I’m doubly lucky this month. Just received On a Barbarous Coast and Better Luck Next Time.
Thanks A&U! Looking forward to reading them.
On a Barbarous Coast by Craig Cormick Better Luck Next Time by Kate Hilton

message 24: by Anita (new)

Anita | 12 comments have just posted my review of Finding Eadie. Thanks Allen & Unwin for the advanced reading copy

message 25: by Karren (new)

Karren  Sandercock  (karrensandercock) | 222 comments Yeah thanks so much Allen & Unwin, for my copy of On a Barbarous Coast and Finding Eadie......

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments Got an email today to say I have won a copy of Better Luck Next Time.
Thanks A & U, looking forward to it. I really appreciate having new books to read, especially as libraries are still closed at present.
Thanks again.

message 27: by Marles (new)

Marles Henry (henrymarlene) | 34 comments Just received 'On A Barbarous Coast' - can't wait to read it! Thanks A&U!

message 28: by Mel (new)

Mel | 45 comments My copy of ‘On a Barbarous Coast’ arrived yesterday. Can’t wait to read it. Thank you so much A&U, it is greatly appreciated.

message 29: by Nabil (new)

Nabil (nabilhamzaki) | 2 comments Awesome titles! Thanks A&U!

message 30: by Nabil (new)

Nabil (nabilhamzaki) | 2 comments On a Barbarous Coast looks interesting.

message 31: by Kylie H (new)

Kylie H | 759 comments Thank you A&U my copy of A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing by Jessie Tu A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing arrived today ☺

message 32: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 92 comments I got On a Barbarous Coast in the mail today. Looking forward to reading it

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 13 comments My copy of Better Luck next Time arrived today, thanks A&U.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6272 comments Still waiting for mine 😶

message 35: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It'll come Jools :) Be patient...

Jülie ☼♄  | 6272 comments Brenda wrote: "It'll come Jools :) Be patient..."

Although our actual Postie is The Best, our postal system here leaves a lot to be desired lol, it's hard to be patient sometimes ;))

message 37: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments ☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Brenda wrote: "It'll come Jools :) Be patient..."

Although our actual Postie is The Best, our postal system here leaves a lot to be desired lol, it's hard to be patient sometimes ;))"

Hang in there Julie. Mine just arrived this morning.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6272 comments Dale wrote: "☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Brenda wrote: "It'll come Jools :) Be patient..."

Although our actual Postie is The Best, our postal system here leaves a lot to be desired lol, it's hard to be patient sometimes..."

🤗 Excellent! Happy reading Dale.

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Brenda wrote: "It'll come Jools :) Be patient..."

Although our actual Postie is The Best, our postal system here leaves a lot to be desired lol, it's hard to be patient sometimes ;))"

I know exactly what you mean Jools - I went through a period of around 4 weeks where nothing arrived and I knew they'd been sent. They all came in the end...

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4558 comments My copy of Better Luck Next Time by Kate Hilton Better Luck Next Time by Kate Hilton arrived today. Thank you A&U :)

message 41: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 5836 comments ☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Dale wrote: "☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Brenda wrote: "It'll come Jools :) Be patient..."

Although our actual Postie is The Best, our postal system here leaves a lot to be desired lol, it's hard to be pati..."

Thanks Julie. Thanks A & U.

message 42: by Karren (new)

Karren  Sandercock  (karrensandercock) | 222 comments Thanks so much A&U my copy of Finding Eadie arrived today.