Our Shared Shelf discussion

Emma's Picks > Emma's Quarantine Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited May 06, 2020 06:12AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Hello lovelies!

Emma posted on IG of her recommended quarantine books. She listed these as her completely unmissable essentials.

We won't be reading these as a book club, but you're welcome to pick them up and let us know in the comments below what you think and how these have helped you during quarantine.

Untamed by Glennon Doyle Untamed
This Is Going to Hurt Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor by Adam Kay This Is Going to Hurt: Secret Diaries of a Junior Doctor
Braiding Sweetgrass Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants
Black on Both Sides A Racial History of Trans Identity by C. Riley Snorton Black on Both Sides: A Racial History of Trans Identity

What books would you add to your personal quarantine list and why?

message 2: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments they look quite interesting.

message 3: by Annie (new)

Annie | 44 comments I'm reading:

When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times

And it's been super helpful to get out of the way of my own thoughts and worries.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 1 comments When Things Fall Apart has been my 'go to' book for years. I have read it more times than I can remember.

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles | 24 comments I’m a bit confuse but why don’t we read one of them? Is that because of the pool that have been made a month ago? It’s a bit surprising we don’t read Emma’s unmissable on her book club, unless there are particular instructions f(-.-;

message 6: by Pam (last edited May 08, 2020 05:25AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Charles wrote: "I’m a bit confuse but why don’t we read one of them? Is that because of the pool that have been made a month ago? It’s a bit surprising we don’t read Emma’s unmissable on her book club, unless ther..."

Thanks for the question Charles.

At this time we won't be reading them as a community for the following reasons:

1) we already are currently reading her pick Sex and World Peace along with Overdressed.

2) Reading multiple books may be easy for some of us with the means, but with libraries shut down, sellers having long lead times, with some books not in multi language print AND the sheer cost of purchasing in a time when some of us can't pay rent, purchasing 4 additional NEW books isn't easy for all of us.

I don't want to put undue burden on someone in an already stressful time. As such, I would like them to remain as recommendations and not required OSS reading.

That said... One of her picks (Braiding Sweetgrass) was already on our Eco-feminisim list. No reason why the others won't make it on a future poll.

message 7: by Annie (new)

Annie | 44 comments Charles wrote: "It’s a bit surprising we don’t read Emma’s unmissable on her book club, unless ther..."

It's NOT Emma's book club.

It's Ours. We picked the name Our Shared Shelf. Whereas Oprah has Oprah's Book Club. Or there is What Nat Reads if you follow Natalie Portman. Emma choose not to have her name associated on this for it was never supposed to be hers.

Emma left. And her posting to IG instead of coming here herself shows that we're no longer a high priority. We're fortunate that Pam even tells us that she posted

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Let's keep the discussions civil. Remember, gone or not, we're still following the rules laid out to us.

message 9: by B.P.S. (new)

B.P.S. | 3 comments I recommend the audiobook version of Braiding Sweetgrass. The narrator's calming voice matches the lyricism of the words. The realities of indigenous peoples/lands are heartbreaking, and the audio version provides a steadfast voice amongst all the tragedy. Glad to see you spotlight this book, Emma!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm so eager to read those books later. Good to know that Emma has not forgotten us.

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles | 24 comments Pam wrote: "Charles wrote: "I’m a bit confuse but why don’t we read one of them? Is that because of the pool that have been made a month ago? It’s a bit surprising we don’t read Emma’s unmissable on her book c..."

Thanks Pam for the clear answer, as I've finished the books I almost forgot we were still reading them as a community... now that make definitely sens that we doesn't read them.

Annie wrote: "Charles wrote: "It’s a bit surprising we don’t read Emma’s unmissable on her book club, unless ther..."

It's NOT Emma's book club.

It's Ours. We picked the name Our Shared Shelf. Whereas Oprah h..."

I understand your anger, but I believe Emma doesn't have to be present herself all the time on the book club it's really time consuming for a person like her who is certainly very busy, and she told us she was gonna pick books and announce them on Instagram, which i believe is a real effort for her regarding her point of view on social media...

For the real story of the name, I believe we didn't really choose... But all the media and person who cares about Emma, knows that her book club's name is Our Shared Shelf, I mean, her name doesn't have to be linked to the title for every body to know its her book club... anyway, I believe she has been discouraged or busy with her upcoming projects and she had to focus on other things, we still have Pam, and finally the book club is not that dormant 😉

She didn't forget us, we have a new list if you want to go further, and may be she will release a quarantine interview from out of the hat, we don't know about yet...

message 12: by Florian (last edited May 09, 2020 05:07AM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments Hey there, I think we should not jump into "politic", reputation strategy, fandom, to who belongs the book club etc... it's just gonna tear us apart rather than gathering us.

We all have personal opinions about that, let's just focus on reading and discussing the vital topics of feminism and intersectionnality. To anyone who wants to read Emma's pick she shares on Instragram let's feel free to do so, we even have a section focused on that.

I suppose it might be a good thing to see the bi-monthly book selected by the community as the main reading for money reasons etc... and the others as important complementary books. It's like a few years ago when Katelyn gathered book suggestions to add them to the shelf. For example, I tend to read some of the other books suggested for the poll :)

I agree, bi-monthly suggestions, we actually all do thanks to the moderation, show the group is not dormant. That's good thing! :)

message 13: by Le Puil (new)

Le Puil Etienne (elepuil) | 3 comments hello, I am new on this group ( i am a french student).

I just don't undestand what is IG ans what is the story about Emma? she create the blog and is now not active?

thanks,

sorry for the mistakes...

message 14: by Florian (last edited May 09, 2020 07:15AM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments Bonjour!

IG signifie Instagram. Emma Watson a fondée Our Shared Shelf dans l'optique de partager des livres féministes et que les membres rejoignant la communité puissent en discuter que ce soit sur le forum que nous utilisons ici ou simplement via des meet-up (rencontres entre membre).

En début d'année Emma Watson a annoncée se retirer du forum en stipulant qu'il ne serait plus modéré pour certaines raisons. Ensuite, une modératrice est revenue sur les propos de Watson pour assurer que le forum ne tomberait pas en ruine et Pam a été nommée modératrice. C'est actuellement la modératrice qui propose les livres et sujets via des votes. Nous sommes vraiment chanceux qu'elle soit présente sinon le forum deviendrait une ruine.
Dans un même temps, Emma avait annoncée qu'elle posterait de temps en temps des suggestions via son Instagram.

Est-elle encore active? Question difficile. Dans son dernier post elle a annoncée ne plus poster de suggestion sur le forum, donc techniquement la réponse est non, elle n'est plus active ici. En revanche, (et cela reste mon avis) cela manque de clarté car l'équipe d'Emma (qui n'est pas l'équipe de modération) a ajouté "Groupe dormant" offrant une potentielle porte de sortie (ou d'entrée si elle décide de revenir).

Je n'épiloguerai pas sur mon opinion personnel de la situation, tout ce que je regrette c'est le manque de positionnement de sa part et donc de clarté qui est, de mon point vue, trop ambiguë et peut avoir des conséquences non souhaitées types: divergences d'opinions entre très gros fans de Watson et d'autres personnes qui en ont assez de voir beaucoup trop de chose rapporter a Emma.

Navré c'est un peu long comme réponse mais je me voyais mal offrir une réponse courte pour une situation un petit peu complexe.

L'important c'est surtout de prendre du plaisir en lisant les livres qu'on choisit ici, d'en discuter si vous le souhaitez. Le reste... mieux vaut ne pas s'en préoccuper ce serait gâcher de l'énergie et s'agacer pour rien ;)

Ps: pas de soucis pour les fautes, ici on s'en fiche un peu, ce qui importe c'est le dialogue dans les règles de la bienveillance.

Bien a vous!

message 15: by Le Puil (new)

Le Puil Etienne (elepuil) | 3 comments Florian wrote: "Bonjour!

IG signifie Instagram. Emma Watson a fondée Our Shared Shelf dans l'optique de partager des livres féministes et que les membres rejoignant la communité puissent en discuter que ce soit s..."

Merci Florian,
d'accord je comprend mieux la situation et ce n'est pas la sujet du groupe c'est vrais.

message 16: by Le Puil (new)

Le Puil Etienne (elepuil) | 3 comments Florian wrote: "Bonjour!

IG signifie Instagram. Emma Watson a fondée Our Shared Shelf dans l'optique de partager des livres féministes et que les membres rejoignant la communité puissent en discuter que ce soit s..."

je voulais également savoir quel livre vous me conseillerez pour commencer à lire à propos du feminisme.
Prendre en cours de route les livres indiqués ou bien y a t'il des "incontrounables" ?

Merci.

message 17: by Tobin (new)

Tobin Thomas (tobshere) | 2 comments Now I'm reading.... A story about a real man

and his story gives me more insight of the life in this quarentine time

message 18: by Florian (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments Le Puil wrote: "Florian wrote: "Bonjour!

IG signifie Instagram. Emma Watson a fondée Our Shared Shelf dans l'optique de partager des livres féministes et que les membres rejoignant la communité puissent en discut..."

Not sure to be the best to reply to you. I prefer to be humble :)

To everyone Le Puil was asking what would be the best books to start feminism, I'm sure someone will help her/him.

message 19: by Florian (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments The quarantain's books are not official selection of OSS, they were suggested by Watson but everyone we are free to read them as complementary books. Now official suggestions are not from her, they are decided all together through voting, you can look at the poll panel of the book club to see which books have been proposed for the poll and which one won.

I hope that will help! ;)

Enjoy your readings! :)

message 20: by BookwormBelle (new)

BookwormBelle | 4 comments I think quarantine is a really great time to catch up on classic novels. Jane Austen’s ‘Pride and Prejudice’ is my favorite personally.

message 21: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 11 comments Two of the books mentioned sound very interesting to me, Braiding Sweetgrass and When Things Fall Apart. I'll add these to my list.

Thank you Pam and Annie for the suggestion.

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia | 3 comments This may not be the right thread for this, but there are two books that I am currently reading, that I found incredibly interesting! One of which might be helpful if people think they're wasting their time in quarantine: "Time and how to spend it" by James Wallman and "Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong" by Angela Saini... I also suggested the latter once in a poll (but I am afraid I made that suggestion very late and even though it got a lot of votes, it wasn't selected). I'd like to make a case for this book as I think it touches upon a very important topic. There are so many stereotypes floating around that this book debunks. Very often it is difficult to "argue" or talk to people who believe these stereotypes since the counter-arguments are just very difficult to put into words or to give actual scientific proof. This group very much focuses on the social science of gender inequality or feminism, which I think is great, but it would be helpful I think to give a critical account of how the biological sciences have made mistakes or given false attributes to women (and men for that matter) and how who produced the studies actually truly matters... I hope you guys will consider this a worthwhile read and that it'll perhaps give you a different perspective or enrich what you already have 🙂

message 23: by Vaidehi (new)

Vaidehi (goodreadscomvaidehi14) | 2 comments Quite interesting

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9 comments Julia wrote: "This may not be the right thread for this, but there are two books that I am currently reading, that I found incredibly interesting! One of which might be helpful if people think they're wasting th..."

These both look incredible! Thank you for recommending them!

message 25: by Violet (new)

Violet (lucyibaldwinicloudcom) | 8 comments I will try those for sure! Thanks!

message 26: by Ashlynne (new)

Ashlynne Wilkerson I’m quite new to this group so please be patient if I happen to unintentionally make any blunders. Anyway, I know this post is discussing on what to read during COVID-19. I too have been doing some reading, so I will be happy to share my own recommendations.
But first, let me make clear that I’m what you would call a religious person, so some books I’d recommend may be Christian. But if I recommend them, please believe that I am not attempting to force-feed my beliefs on anyone, just wanting to share thoughts on what I see as a good book. If you were to read a book that has Christian implications, I hope you won’t turn it down just because of that. You don’t have to agree with anything religious, just read it for the sake of its being good, interesting, and fun. And I won’t be speaking of that all the time, so never fear of being bombarded with preaching but if you have questions of that or anything spiritual in a book, don’t fear to ask either.
Right now, the books I can recommend now for Covid-19 is The Little White Horse, East by Edith Pattou, and The Priest’s Graveyard. These books, I believe, are relevant because they all have a similar message: no batter how hard things get, hope and restoration always are around the corner.
Happy reading and God bless!

message 27: by Florian (last edited May 23, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Florian (laughingflow) | 215 comments I do not have any religion and I don't think your recommendation would be seen as doing proselytism.

For your own information, in January 2019 we read "The things I would tell you: British Muslim Women Write." we also read other books related to other believes so no worries about the Christian nature of some of your suggestions.

I mean as long as nobody is saying "you should (or even must) believe in what I believe because I'm right and your current belief is wrong." I think we are good ;)

message 28: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Alex (christoalexander) | 1 comments During quarantine time, I had read a lot of books of different authors such as Sydney Sheldon, Martina Cole, Stephen King , khaleed Hosseini and so on. Now I am looking for a Non fiction type books, which I haven't read till now.

message 29: by Hani (new)

Hani (haniseptia) | 1 comments During quarantine time, I had read a lot of book of different authors. Sometimes I read book of my country author like Dee LestariAroma Karsa, Ratih Kumala Gadis Kretek and the other.
Another times, I had read of book which write by international author like Nicola Yoon Everything, Everything

message 30: by Kennila (new)

Kennila (goodreadscomkeila) | 2 comments I would read Untamed because I just read the plot and it simply sounds like something I really need now, something I hope I could take something from and that I would really enjoy :) I can’t wait!

message 31: by Vicente (new)

Vicente | 3 comments Good afternoon from my side, I hope your are having great time there. Sorry to ask yo this, but Maybe you have any tips or suggestions to me in order to improve my reading skills, I exactly mean my concentration to read.
thanks all of you!!

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (acctnt_shan) | 1 comments Kennila, consider trying Untamed on audiobook! I'm about halfway through it now and enjoy it, it's narrated by the author Glennon.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Kelly Maybe not the right thread, but do we know why Emma has disengaged with Our Shared Shelf on Goodreads?

message 34: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Pamela wrote: "Maybe not the right thread, but do we know why Emma has disengaged with Our Shared Shelf on Goodreads?"

Hi Pamela,

You can check out Emma's note on the subject here.

message 35: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Kelly Pam wrote: "Pamela wrote: "Maybe not the right thread, but do we know why Emma has disengaged with Our Shared Shelf on Goodreads?"

Hi Pamela,

You can check out Emma's note on the subject here."

Thank you Pam! That's understandable - it's impossible to have time for everything.

message 36: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Books killers of the flower moon

message 37: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Books anything by elisabeth acevedo

message 38: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Books in the midst of winter isabel allende

message 39: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Books i am not your perfect mexican daughter

message 40: by Katherine (new)

Katherine Books land of unknown anericans cristina henriquez

message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria Sm | 8 comments Chicago man freezes pants to reserve parking spots
https://www.interestingnews.club/2021...

British man drinks Capri Sun in 16.65 seconds to set Guinness record

interesting facts about sloths
They are strange monkeys
I am sure you don't know them

world's smallest monkey

And many other latest intertesting news and articles