Mansfield Park Mansfield Park discussion

MP in Jane's Canon?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Let me preface this by saying that Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book ever, and that I've read and enjoyed all of Austen's novels -- except for Mansfield Park.

It's overly long and overly detailed, but what bothers me the most is the character of Fanny. She has no sense of self, no character or personality. She's nothing compared to the Bennet girls or Emma. She's so passive that I find myself thinking that she deserves what she gets -- except that she doesn't deserve Edmond.

What do you think? Where does Mansfield Park rate in the Austen canon for you?

message 2: by Jen (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen C. I am also a great fan of Austen's work... all except Mansfield Park, that is. I also found Fanny to be a hollow heroine. Fanny didn't have to be as meddling as Emma or as fiery as Elizabeth Bennet to be an interesting character. Austen could have done a good job writing a timid or introverted heroine, but, as written, Fanny just comes out as one-dimensional and, as Kristie said, void of personality. This is especially disappointing in an Austen work, as her writing normally shines the most through her nuanced character studies.

message 3: by Mamadeb (new)

Mamadeb I like Mansfield Park. No, I don't like Fanny much, but the novel itself is more complex with richer characters than any book besides Emma.

Fanny is exactly as she should be - she's been a neglected scapegoat her entire life, even from before her coming to her uncle's. Doesn't make her fun to read, I'll grant you that, but it makes her feel real.

Jean Mansfield Park is not one of my favorites of the Austen group, but not because of any dislike of Fanny. Sure, she doesn't have the sparling wit of the more outgoing Austen heroines, but she does have strength of character - throughout the book, she's quietly resisting the louder personalities who are trying to take her and others down the wrong paths. She's thoughtful and feels things deeply, which I find very likable.

Robyn Smith I must agree with Jean on this - having recently re-read MP, I have a lot of respect for Fanny who is brilliantly realised against the characters of Henry Crawford and his sister. If anything, Edmond is too devout, too good and ends u pas one of Austen's more boring characters.