Arlington Public Library discussion

Adult Reading Challenge > Read a Graphic Novel or Comic Book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Arlington Public Library (arlingtontxpubliclibrary) | 42 comments Mod
This week's challenges is to read a Graphic Novel/Comic Book and then give a review. Let us know what you read, why you choose to read that novel and would you recommend it to someone else.

message 2: by Sidney (new)

Sidney | 1 comments Here is my review for the Graphic Novel Saga by Brian K. Vaughan.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Terrie (new)

Terrie (mcmath) | 10 comments Here is my review for the comic book "Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider" by Seanan McGuire.

My daughter gave me this book because the writer is Seanan McGuire, one of my favorite writers. On the inside front and back covers is the recommendation to read 8 books before this one. Which I did. But the spider-verse is vast and there were a lot of references throughout this series I did not get.

This particular book was easy to follow even when I didn't know who a character was or how they fit into the story.

I would recommend this series to people more familiar with the spider-verse. I wouldn't recommend it as a stand-alone book, or as an entry into the world of graphic novels/comic books.

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Berney | 2 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

My review of Wings of Fire-Book One The Dragonet Prophecy.

I chose to read this to look at new graphic novel series to potentially add to my classroom library that could draw interest for my students. This one was a great one to start with, it had a great story of friendship. I was able to really get attached to the characters, and will definitely be continuing the series.

I would recommend this to someone else, especially for young readers in upper elementary/middle school.

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1 comments I read New Kid by Jerry Craft. This is my review:

Five Stars

Beautiful artwork for a great story about a kid going into a new school for seventh grade. Jordan Banks is now going to a private school with kids with more money than him and not much in common in regards to skin color. He has to deal with these new kids, their biases, the teacher's biases, new friends, old friends, and everything else middle schoolers go through. I flew through this and think that kids would too. I think that some kids would relate, and other kids would learn through this graphic novel.

I choose it because I've had it on my shelf for a little bit, and I would def recommend it for anyone to read.

message 6: by Kendall (new)

Kendall | 3 comments For this challenge, I read “Pow! A Peanuts Collection” by Charles M. Schulz. I chose this book because it is a collection of classic Peanuts cartoons, which are always heartwarming to read, and I enjoy baseball. The comics center around Charlie Brown as the manager of his local baseball team and his humorous attempts to get them to try to win one game. The team consists of Snoopy, Woodstock, Lucy, and the rest of the Peanuts characters. I would recommend this book to Peanuts fans of all ages and to anyone who likes baseball.

Jennifer Muster | 1 comments I read Star Wars: The Original Trilogy. I gave it 5 stars. I think it did a really good job of telling the stories that I know so well! This is my first graphic novel, so I had no idea what to pick. I went with Star Wars because it is familiar to me. I would recommend this book. If you haven't seen the movies yet, it is easy to follow and it builds the characters well.