Literary Prizes discussion

Hugotta be kidding me!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob McMonigal | 11 comments It was mentioned to me that the Yiddish Policeman's Union was nominated for a Hugo award.

Are there that few sci fi and fantasy books out there that a barely alternative future book that's closer to reality than, say, most of Rushdie's fiction, is considered to be one of the best of the year?

Wow, that's sad.

message 2: by Stewart (new)

Stewart (booklit) Surely it's not the content but the overall quality of the book that matters.

message 3: by Rob (new)

Rob McMonigal | 11 comments Not when the award is supposed to be for the best in a particular genre. That to me means that the genre part of the book should be weighed heavily in the decision.

This would be the same as giving a book an award for best romance that had no romance in it, only a romantic setting.

I'd also argue that the book itself is not award-worthy, but I am well aware that I am the only person in the world who didn't love it, merely liked it.

message 4: by Joe (new)

Joe Mossa | 4 comments
my mom wasn t a reader but her favorite expression and one my kids used to tease her about was'you gotta be kiddin' .i like the way you guys spell it. i have read many of chabon s books but not YPU, i loved CLAY and PITTSBURGH. i wish he would get out of his fancy phase and get back to writing normal books. he is one of america s greatest new writers.