2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Rebecca's 104 book challenge!

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jul 23, 2020 05:38PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments I originally set myself a goal of 52 books with at least one five star read per month! Having started to review Fantasy and Sci-Fi books on Goodreads and smashing my reading target, I think I'll increase to 104!

Books Read; 67
5 star reads; 6/12
Turn The Pages; 16,719/25,000

5 Star Reads...
The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

January
1. The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
2. Artemis by Andy Weir
3. Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
4. Blood Brothers by Willy Russell
5. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by John Tiffany, J.K. Rowling

February
6. La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman
7. Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse
8. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
9. The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood
10. The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
11. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
12. Night Owls by Jenn Bennett

March
13. Charm & Strange by Stephanie Kuehn
14. Legendary by Stephanie Garber
15. Finale by Stephanie Garber
16. A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
17. Username: Evie by Joe Sugg
18. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

April
19. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
20. Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
21. Paper Heart by Jennifer LeBlanc
22. Class of 1983 by Victoria Maxwell
23. Ignite the Sun by Hanna Howard (ARC - click here for the full review)

May
24. Monsters at Dusk by Kyle A. Massa
25. This Eternity of Masks and Shadows by Karsten Knight (ARC - full review here)
26. The Big Waste: A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure by C.W. Ashley
27. The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow (Full review here)
28. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
29. The Folk of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton
30. A Girl Made of Air by Nydia Hetherington (ARC - click here for the full review)
31. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
32. Feathertide by Beth Cartwright (ARC - click here for the full review)
33. The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon (Review to follow)
34. Duckett & Dyer: Dicks For Hire by G.M. Nair
35. Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
36. A Grim Affair by Rachel Stanley
37. Inheritance: The Sins Of A Father by Michael Mills
38. Do Not Look Back, My Lion by Alix E. Harrow

June
39. The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso
40. How to Spot a Fascist by Umberto Eco
41. Outraged: Why Everyone Is Shouting and No One Is Talking by Ashley 'Dotty' Charles
42. The Pale Dreamer by Samantha Shannon
43. Last Memoria by Rachel Emma Shaw
44. A Guide to Happiness: Using Mindfulness and Meditation by Tara Ward
45. The Girl and the Stars by Mark Lawrence
46. The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
47. We Ride the Storm by Devin Madson
48. The Shield of Nike by A.P. Mobley
49. T.I.M.E Stories: The Heiden File by Christophe Lambert
50. The Helm of Darkness by A.P. Mobley
51. Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
52. The Creakers by Tom Fletcher
53. Birthright by Chloe Moore

July
54. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
55. Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris
56. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris
57. Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris
58. Beach Read by Emily Henry
59. Every Sky A Grave by Jay Posey
60. The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson
61. Coraline by Neil Gaiman
62. The Awakening by L.J. Smith
63. Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
64. The Chalice and the Crown by Kassandra Flamouri
65. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
66. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
67. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

message 2: by Caro (new)

Caro (karopi) | 992 comments How was Friday Black? I wanted to read it a long time ago.

message 3: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited May 01, 2020 07:55AM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments Caro wrote: "How was Friday Black? I wanted to read it a long time ago."

It surprised, shocked and enthralled me. The author tackles racism, cultural unrest and consumerism in an authentic and impactful way. His stories are creative and heartfelt and there are some real standout stories that make this collection entirely worth reading. The Finkelstein 5 is a must-read.

Let me know if you read it, I'd love to know what you think!

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments April Book Wrap Up

Books Read (5)
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah Class of 1983 by Victoria Maxwell Paper Heart (Poetry Collections, #1) by Jennifer LeBlanc Ignite the Sun by Hanna Howard

ARC of the month: Ignite the Sun by Hanna Howard. Full review here.
Book of the month: Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

message 5: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited May 12, 2020 08:14AM) (new)

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12044 comments I am all about magic this year. I hope that your reading goal is your little touch of magic.
description

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments Blagica wrote: "I am all about magic this year. I hope that your reading goal is your little touch of magic.
"

Thanks so much :-)
I hope there's a little bit of magic for us all this year.

message 8: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jun 13, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments May Reading Goal Update
Feeling really pleased! Hope you're all meeting your goals too.

Read 15 books: 15/15

- at least 10 fantasy books: 11/10
Monsters at Dusk by Kyle A. Massa This Eternity of Masks and Shadows by Karsten Knight The Big Waste A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure (After-Skirmish #1) by C.W. Ashley The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library) by J.K. Rowling The Folk of the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton A Girl Made of Air by Nydia Hetherington A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Feathertide by Beth Cartwright The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- at least one 5 star read: 2/1
The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
- at least 3 ARC's: 6/3
This Eternity of Masks and Shadows by Karsten Knight The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow A Girl Made of Air by Nydia Hetherington A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Feathertide by Beth Cartwright Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- at least 5 indie/self-published novels: 5/5
Monsters at Dusk by Kyle A. Massa The Big Waste A Post-Apocalyptic Adventure (After-Skirmish #1) by C.W. Ashley Duckett & Dyer Dicks For Hire by G.M. Nair A Grim Affair by Rachel Stanley Inheritance The Sins Of A Father by Michael Mills

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments How are your reading goals going? I'm super happy with how mine have progressed, updated above 💜✨

message 10: by Celine (new)

Celine (catsy2008) | 172 comments What did you think of The Big Waste >.>
I also happened to read this book and Monsters at Dusk. lol

I'm further ahead than I thought I would be but I'm considering not counting audio books.

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments Celine wrote: "What did you think of The Big Waste >.>
I also happened to read this book and Monsters at Dusk. lol

I'm further ahead than I thought I would be but I'm considering not counting audio books."

Why are you not counting audiobooks? Ooh, The Big Waste, I wrote my thoughts up here: Big Waste book review on Goodreads

message 12: by Celine (new)

Celine (catsy2008) | 172 comments I am counting them but I am powering through audiobooks sometimes in less than a day so I don't think I will count them next year or I'll just read less audio.

message 13: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jun 13, 2020 02:15PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments Celine wrote: "I am counting them but I am powering through audiobooks sometimes in less than a day so I don't think I will count them next year or I'll just read less audio."

Interesting! I would absolutely count audiobooks myself personal, but it's up to you ^_^

message 14: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jun 13, 2020 02:27PM) (new)

message 15: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jun 13, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments May Book Wrap-Up

I read 15 books in May - mostly fantasy for the Wyrd and Wonder readathon on Twitter (My Twitter), as well as 5 indie self-published books and two 5 star reviews!

message 16: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jul 06, 2020 09:33AM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments June Book Wrap-Up

I read 15 books in June including Fantasy and Non-Fiction genres.

Fantasy & Sci-Fi: 9 books

The Obsidian Tower (Rooks and Ruin, #1) by Melissa Caruso The Pale Dreamer (The Bone Season, #0.5) by Samantha Shannon Last Memoria (Memoria Duology, #1) by Rachel Emma Shaw The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1) by Mark Lawrence We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1) by Devin Madson The Shield of Nike (War on the Gods Companion Story, #1) by A.P. Mobley T.I.M.E Stories The Heiden File by Christophe Lambert The Helm of Darkness (War on the Gods, #1) by A.P. Mobley Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Top 5 reads of June

The Obsidian Tower (Rooks and Ruin, #1) by Melissa Caruso The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1) by Mark Lawrence The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman The Creakers by Tom Fletcher

Worst-rated book - 2 stars

T.I.M.E Stories The Heiden File by Christophe Lambert

message 17: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jul 23, 2020 05:48PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments July TBR

Every Sky a Grave by Jay Posey The Jealousy of Jalice (A Disaster of Dokojin, #1) by Jesse Nolan Bailey Thief's Magic (Millennium’s Rule, #1) by Trudi Canavan The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1) by Kester Grant The Midnight Library by Matt Haig A Deadly Education (Scholomance, #1) by Naomi Novik The Stone Thieves and the Honourable Order of Inventors (The Fabulous Arrangement of Atoms Book 1) by Eddy Telviot How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi Cursed Objects Strange but True Stories of the World's Most Infamous Items by J.W. Ocker The Chalice and the Crown by Kassandra Flamouri

I've read 3 of my planned 11 TBR!

message 18: by rebecca | velvet opus (last edited Jul 23, 2020 05:50PM) (new)

rebecca | velvet opus (velvetopus) | 48 comments July ...

I've read 14 books so far! I've been "catching up" on old series I never read when they were initially popular (True Blood, Vampire Diaries, the Hunger Games) as those are the books I have either lying around or on library loan. Two Sci-Fi ARC's read this month (Eervy Sky A Grave and The Space Between Worlds) and one indie self-published novel.

Fantasy & Sci-Fi

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) by Charlaine Harris Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1) by L.J. Smith The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Every Sky a Grave by Jay Posey The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson The Chalice and the Crown by Kassandra Flamouri

Other fiction

Beach Read by Emily Henry Coraline by Neil Gaiman Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Top 5 Reads so far...

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid The Chalice and the Crown by Kassandra Flamouri The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Every Sky a Grave by Jay Posey