Play Book Tag discussion

Fahrenheit 451
This topic is about Fahrenheit 451
April 2020: Science Fiction > [Poll Ballot] Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 844 comments My own personal definition of a classic: Still relevant decades or centuries later.

Originally published in 1953, Fahrenheit 451 is a true classic. In the book, the date is the mid-2020's. I'm sure that time felt surreal when this was written, but now right around the corner.

Guy Montag is a fireman. But firemen no longer put fires out. Instead they start them - specifically they burn books. Not just banned books, but any and all books. The story follow's Guy's awakening from mind-numb fireman to a thinking human being. But its really an allegory of the hollowness of life without the wisdom we gain from books.

There were some very accurate projections in this book as well.
- People spend their time watching lots of TV. The screens are so big they cover the wall. In fact the entire wall IS a TV - and in Guy's house the TV covers three solid walls. (I don't know of anyone who has a full TV-wall, but I know people who'd get one if it was available.)

- There is an in-ear device called a seashell. People can listen to their TVs through these seashells. (It was an interesting experience listening to the audio of this book through my AirPods!)

- When someone knocks on Guy's door, a voice announces to his wife "Mrs. Montag, Mrs. Montag. Someone is at the front door." (I think of my Ring front door bell - and my husband has (annoyingly) connected it to Alexa. So now in conjunction with the ring noise, Alexa pipes in with "Someone is at the front door")

I listened to this on audio. Most audio narrators are excellent, but this book was narrated by Tim Robbins. And I say "narrated" but it felt more like he was the voice actor. So much of the book is dialog - either between characters or internal thoughts. He was able to give each character enough color to make each one easily distinguishable. It was a wonderful audio experience. My favorite was Milly Montag, a vapid, whining character who came fully to life as narrated by Tim Robbins.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 6539 comments I agree Sue, a true classic. It has been way too many years, for me to count, since I read this. I know I should have copy here somewhere, I will have to look for it. Nice Review~

message 3: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 5155 comments Oooh, I've not read it and have meant to! I think I have a SciFi for this month. Definitely a classic I am overdue to read.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5107 comments OH, Theresa .. you must read this book!