Skokie Public Library discussion

The Good Neighbor: Book Club Introductions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiffany (last edited Mar 26, 2020 07:52AM) (new)

Tiffany Breyne | 14 comments Mod
Welcome to the inaugural Skokie Public Library Virtual Book Club! We’re so glad you’re here!

Some important notes to start:
The book we are reading is The Good Neighbor: The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King.

It is available as an e-book and e-audiobook via Hoopla (link is for Skokie Public Library cardholders). If you are a member of another library, check to see if they have a copy, and you can join us!

While people are welcome to post in this discussion group at any time, we will have specific virtual meeting times when our staff will post questions and moderate discussions:

Thursday, March 26, 2-3 pm | Discussing Parts 1 & 2
Thursday, April 2, 2-3 pm | Discussing Parts 3 & 4
Thursday, April 9, 2-3 pm | Part 5 & Epilogue - Final Discussion

Book Club Guidelines:
There is no one way to experience or interpret a book. In fact, we love it when people have different opinions about books (it makes for a better discussion). But please be gracious and respectful of each other’s opinions. In other words, you can disagree but don’t be disagreeable.

Speak from your own experience using "I" statements. Refrain from generalizing based on a person's race, ethnicity, gender, religion, socioeconomic class, etc.

Haven’t finished yet? Join us anyway-- you still have valuable insight! But please know there may be spoilers.

message 2: by Tiffany (new)

Before our first chat on Thursday, let's get to know each other!
Answer these questions, if you feel so inclined!

1. What's your name?
2. Do you agree to follow the book club's Discussion Guidelines?
3. Are you going to read the ebook or listen to the audio?
4. What do you like to read? And do you have a favorite book?
5. Why did you join the book club?

message 3: by Tiffany (new)

Is it weird to respond to my own post? Hope not!

1. My name is Tiffany (and I work at Skokie Public Library)
2. Absolutely
3. Audiobook - I've been going on lots of walks lately, and I think this will be the perfect thing to listen to while walking and keeping a safe 6 ft from everyone around me.
4. I like to read a little bit of everything - romantic comedies, YA, nonfiction, sci-fi... give me good character development, and I'm in.
5. I joined because I'm excited to participate in SPL's first virtual book club, and I miss talking about books with people.

Look forward to chatting with you all.

message 4: by Steven (new)

Steven Cristi | 1 comments 1. Steven (with a 'v')
2. 100%
3. Ebook! (most likely)
4. I enjoy reading YA novels the most because it's often a nice break from my personal writing. Stephen King's On Writing is my bible.
5. I joined this virtual book club because I've never joined one before—figured there's no better time than now to do so.

message 5: by Allyson (last edited Mar 23, 2020 02:05PM) (new)

Allyson | 2 comments Mod
1. Allyson -- I work at SPL :)
2. You bet!
3. eaudio
4. My reading tastes are pretty eclectic, but I'm loving romance and their happily ever afters these days.
5. I miss chatting books with our patrons, my coworkers, and my LitLoungers (our book discussion group that meets monthly at The Village Inn)

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca Boland | 45 comments Mod
1. What's your name? Becca (I work at SPL!)

2. Do you agree to follow the book club's Discussion Guidelines? You know it!

3. Are you going to read the ebook or listen to the audio? The audio - I'm super excited that Levar Burton is the narrator! :)

4. What do you like to read? And do you have a favorite book? I've recently come to realize that my preferred genre is probably wacky literary dark humor but I recently discovered the joys of romance. I also really like memoirs read by the author.

5. Why did you join the book club? I work at Skokie and I really miss talking about books with our patrons. I'm excited to have this opportunity virtually.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 9 comments 1. Stephanie
2. Yes
3. I started the audiobook a while ago so I’ll plan to finish it :)
4. I like historical fiction that helps me learn about a place and time I didn’t learn about in K-12 (that’s a lot).
5. SPL has been doing a great job engaging online and I wanted to finish the book anyway.

message 8: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Belogorsky | 2 comments 1.Katrina
2.Yes
3.I've started listening to the audio book
4.Historical fiction, self help books, fiction
5. I'm very excited to participate in SPL first virtual book club

message 9: by S.e. (new)

S.e. (sharw) | 13 comments 1. Sharon
2. Yes
3. Audio
4. Some SF/fantasy (steampunk -yes!), some romance, some comedy, some youth & YA, some mystery, some NF, some historical... it all depends on subject & intensity of topic.
5. I work at SPL. This is a new experience for me.

message 10: by Panichaya (last edited Mar 24, 2020 10:02AM) (new)

Panichaya | 4 comments ---

1. Hi! My name is Penny! I also work at SPL (and loving it!)

2. Definitely, without a doubt!

3. Most likely the audiobook.

4. I absolutely love to read lots of romance, lots of manga, some mystery and fantasy/sci-fi. I barely read any non-fiction (hence the audiobook choice above, in hope that it’ll help keep me engaged a little more than usual.) My favorite book, at the moment, is The Witness by Nora Roberts.

5. I joined because I love to hear (read) and exchange thoughts on books, movies, or any stories with people.

---

P.S. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish the book (or parts being discussed) on time. (^_^)

message 11: by Lukie (new)

Lukie | 22 comments 1. My name is Lukie and I work at SPL, too!
2. Yes
3. I listened to the audiobook and facilitated a discussion on it for the Talking Books discussion in February.
4. I read a variety of fiction from literary, short stories, suspense, and I also really love memoirs and nature writing.
5. I joined because this is a great way to continue sharing our love of reading and the richness that books bring to our lives.

message 12: by Jarrett (new)

Jarrett | 2 comments 1. What's your name?
Jarrett
Yes.
I listened to this book over the course of a month in the car and during dog walks about two months ago. But I would still love to be a part of this discussion. It's very fresh in my mind.
Graphic novels, young adult books, adult fiction (many genres, but trend towards realistic and written by women), biographies, books on political topics and/or contemporary crises.
I love the Fred Rogers book and am feeling a serious need to think about and talk about his work with people who work in a library.

message 13: by Mimosa (new)

Mimosa Shah | 7 comments 1. What's your name?
Mimosa
Yes
I am reading the ebook.
"Literary" fiction, graphic novels, poetry, essays, books on photography, memoirs. I don't have a single favorite book, but there's so many I enjoy. My Goodreads account is hardly used, hence the one book listed as being read by me.
I'd love to chat about what I read during this era of social distancing.

message 14: by Megan (last edited Mar 26, 2020 08:57AM) (new)

Megan Rosol | 1 comments 1. What's your name? Megan (I work at SPL)
2. Do you agree to follow the book club's Discussion Guidelines? Yes!
3. Are you going to read the ebook or listen to the audio? I'm listing to the audiobook version on Hoopla and loving it.
4. What do you like to read? And do you have a favorite book? I read fiction and nonfiction, across the genres, latest releases, beloved classics, mostly audiobooks, what fits my mood. I belive in finding perfect books at the right time for all of us.
5. Why did you join the book club? I love books. I love book discussions. I love SPL and its patrons. Thanks for organizing it!

flag *

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Hi all! We're so excited to chat with everyone about this book.

Our first moderated discussion is today (Thursday 3/26) from 2 - 3 pm CT. All are welcome to join us - if you're not available then, you can still join in the discussion at any time!

Here is the link for the discussion:
The Good Neighbor: Discussion 1 (Parts 1 & 2)

message 16: by vanvanagogo (new)

vanvanagogo | 9 comments 1. Vanessa
2. Yes!
3. Listen to the audio—yay LaVar.
4. For fiction, mostly literary fiction, especially if it's time-jumpy. My favorite book so far is H is for Hawk.
5. Because people!