British Literature discussion

Welcome > Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
I figured it might be nice to have each member introduce themselves.

My name is Sara and I started this group about a year ago, because I have always been interested in reading British literature, but hadn't really ever had a chance. I am originally from Hawaii, but just moved to Colorado to start a graduate program in Classical Art and Archaeology, with a concentration in Greek and Egyptian archaeology. Up until now, I was working as a photographer back home and still continue my photography as a hobby. I love to travel and actually just got back from Egypt about a month ago. I was on an archaeological dig in the delta, near the city of Mansoura. Because I do go on extended trips, I recruited Shawna to help me mediate the club. Shawna and I grew up together in Hawaii and both share a love for literature.

Please post something about each of you the second you get a chance.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Sep 20, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Hi I'm Danielle. I've always had an interest in all things British, although I'm from the United States. I was happy to find this group. Look forward to participating.

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana (danahuff) Hello, I'm Dana Huff, and my love for British literature dates back to high school when I had a great British literature teacher. I took mostly British literature courses for my English Education major in college, and I am now blessed to be able to share my passion for British literature with my own students. I teach grades 9-12 full time. I am married with three children. I blog about my reading regularly at http://www.danahuff.net/.

message 4: by Shawna (new)

Shawna (shawna638) | 171 comments Mod
My name is Shawna and I was born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii. I have always loved reading and I have always liked British Literature. More recently, I have taken an interest in novels from Hawaii. I graduated from the University of Hawaii at Hilo in 2007 with a degree in English. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to put my degree to use in the work place. Currently, I am living in South Kona, Hawaii with my husband and I am a sales associate.

message 5: by Murgatroyd (new)

Murgatroyd | 2 comments Hello.
My name is Andrei and I am from Romania. I became interested in British literature a little more than a year ago, when I first read a novel by Charlotte Bronte. Since then, Brits have provided the bulk of my reading material. I joined this group last year but hadn't had the chance to be too active until now. Cheers!

message 6: by Leigh (new)

Leigh (leighb) My name is Leigh. I love British literature and stories that take place in Great Britain. Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Rudyard Kipling, C.S. Forester, J.K. Rowling, Tolkien and plenty of others. Must be something in the water, nobody can write like the British.

message 7: by C.nick (new)

C.nick (cnick) | 32 comments Halo, I am C.nick and I have had a fondness for British literature since I was very young, I haven’t had a lot of like minded people to share it with though.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

'ello, 'ello! I'm Veronika from True Harbour. I've been looking for an online book club for a long while now, with books that I'd actually read. Hopefully I've found it. :) I enjoy mostly British authors (Tolkien is my hero), and hope to add my own words to the World Library one of these days.... I'll wait until the November book to join in the reading, but I'm looking forward to it!

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
Its so nice to hear from all of you and why you are interested in British lit. Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments for the group. I'm glad you have joined us.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi All! I am a 53 yr old homeschooling mom in Iowa. I have always enjoyed British literature (Austen, Bronte, Tolkein, Waugh, Christie, to name a few) and British comedy! Leigh is right -- nobody writes like the British. Looking forward to getting some new book recommendations from the group!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm 42 and a single mom of 3 boys who lives in Nebraska USA. I'm engaged to an Englishman. He introduced me to Jeremy Clarkson's books. (columnist and host of BBC's Top Gear TV show.) I also love Michael Palin's travel books that go along with his BBC specials. (Yes, same Michael Palin of Monty Python fame).

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Briansgirl "Master Book Sale Huntress" wrote: "I'm 42 and a single mom of 3 boys who lives in Nebraska USA. I'm engaged to an Englishman. He introduced me to Jeremy Clarkson's books. (columnist and host of BBC's Top Gear TV show...."

Hi Briansgirl -- we're neighbors!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Pretty close Jeannette. I went to school at ISU.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

We're in Ames! :)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) aahhh, I do miss DoBiz Cookies and DaVinci pizza subs. :)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

how many years since you've been here?

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) 22 years :(

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, well, you definitely wouldn't recognize the place! We even have a Borders now! (And 2 Wal-Marts).

message 19: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Nov 02, 2009 06:47AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I read online that you have a Mothers Pub. I even called looking to see if they sold anything with their logo on it. My fiance's last name is Mothers. They had a hat I think but the hoodie would fit me and not him. I don't know if they'd ship anyway.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda Pyles (buckskin) | 4 comments Hi, my name is Linda. I am from Indiana. I am a registered nurse and own a farm not far from Indianapolis. We raise beef cattle, corn and soybeans. Since we are not able to vacation, I find that reading takes me on a vacation each time I start a new book. I am presently reading the Thirteen Tales. I have several English authors in my stack and wanted to start reading Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie. Thank you for having me and I look forward to a new year with new book friends.

message 21: by Sigrid (last edited Mar 08, 2010 08:00AM) (new)

Sigrid Ruyter Smolan | 1 comments Hey :)
My name is Sigrid, I'm 18 and I'm from Norway :)
I love English literature :) My favourite author is Jane Austen and I also love Philip Pullman, J. R. R. Tolkien, J. K. Rowling, Agatha Christie, C. S. Lewis and a lot of others. I'm going to start reading Charles Dickens soon too. I've seen some of the films of his books and I love the stories, so I'm really looking forward to reading his books :)
I also love England and most things English :)

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I've just joined. I'm a lover of British literature, and a Brit at heart (though an American in residency). Nobody beats Shakespeare, but that's a predictable thing to say. Tolkien is my favourite author, purely because he has so greatly influenced me since I was six years old. I study a dozen languages, have invented my own, and love evolutionary biology. Anyway, most of my knowledge of British literature stops after 1955; but it begins with Beowulf, so I think I'll understand most discussion here.

message 23: by Sara (new)

Sara | 105 comments Mod
I am happy that so many people have introduced themselves to the group. I want to encourage everyone to add books to the book shelves. Welcome to the group everyone!

message 24: by Mary (new)

Mary Kristine | 7 comments I am a true Anglophile though I live in on one of the greatest flyfishing rivers in the AMerican west. I guess the connection is the sport started in the British Isles. Any way so happy to share the love of British literature and history with kindred spirits

Mary

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) My name is Jennifer and I refused to CLEP out of brit lit classes I could easily have skipped because I wanted to read the books!

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily Hi! I'm Emily, I just graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a B.A. in English Lit. I graduated early because I traveled to England last summer and took courses in Cambridge (and it was fantastic!). My Brit Lit courses have always been my favorite and I love children's Brit Lit too.
I'm so pumped that Evelina is on the list! I was up till 2 reading that one for a class, it was great and I've been wanting to read it again.

message 27: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 11, 2011 04:48AM) (new)

Hi, my name is Antía and I'm from Spain.
I love Shakespeare, the Brontës, Jane Austen and lately I have discovered a new love for Thomas Hardy. I also love contemporary brit authors Ian McEwan, Louis de Bernières, Kazuo Ishiguro and Neil Gaiman. I'll try to be as active as possible, though my role as moderator in the group "Discovering Russian Literature" gets most of my time on goodreads. I've just ordered a copy of "Evelina" and should arrive in a week or two, I don't think I'll have time to catch up discussion but hopefully next time :)

message 28: by Little Red Hat (last edited May 11, 2011 03:58AM) (new)

Little Red Hat (littleredhat) Hello everyone,

I'm Hannah. I'm 20 and I'm from Leeds, England - in other words, I'm British! I hope that isn't a problem as I really love the literature of my homeland!

In general, I love books that can make me laugh, and I often read humour novels that have sci-fi or fantasy settings. My favourite authors include Sir Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Robert Rankin and Sue Townsend. I also enjoy the stories of Agatha Christie, Oscar Wilde and H.G Wells.

I also love the theatre and read plays quite a lot - one of my favourite playwrights is William Shakespeare (no, seriously, I read his stuff for FUN!).

message 29: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Staniforth (flowforth) | 1 comments My name is Daniel. I am a British writer and work with a new British small press called Skylight Press. We are a publisher of literary fiction, visionary poetry, spiritual and esoteric non-fiction, and literary analysis. We have lots of new great titles and would love some reviews and discussions from this group - see www.skylightpress.co.uk

Come join us on Goodreads:
http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4760...

or Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/skylightpress

or Twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/SkylightPress

message 30: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana Hey guys...

My name is Lidiana and I'm from Brazil.

I'm taking my Masters in Literary Theory, which I suppose that shows how much I love literature. So, when I found Goodreads, it was like finding heaven because I love being able to read great literature and sharing this experience with others that have the same appreciation for books as I do.

I'm quite new here, so feel free to add me as a friend so we can exchange literary topics and have conversations about other topics, as well.

message 31: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) Hello, I'm Hayley, I'm 25 and I'm from Kent, UK :)

I absolutely adore some of the work that British authors have come out with and am on a bit of a Brit author fix for the next three reads: currently reading A Christmas Carol followed by Emma and then a yet to be released book I received by post today - Flesh and Blood.

I'm with Hannah in that I adore Shakespeare and willingly read his plays for no reason other than enjoyment (Hamlet is my favourite).

message 32: by David (new)

David Little (polmental) Through nostalgia i always get comfort in reading british literature, although the truth is i'm looking for something (or somewhere) that probably never existed. I'm a briton (scotsman to be precise) living in sweden right now and although i love wry humour and historical fiction i welcome tips and recommendations from all directions. Graham greene, evelyn waugh, kingsley amis, george orwell, peter ackroyd....i have a long commute to work so lots of time to read.

message 33: by Mary (new)

Mary Hi everyone! I'm Marzie (short for Mary Elizabeth) and am a lover of British literature. Some of my faves are Waugh, Maugham, Mitford, Dickens.. I especially like the between the wars, bright young people, authors. Looking forward to some great book choices.

message 34: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Hi. I am Diane and I love British literature, well really most literature. Live in the US and am so looking forward to getting some new reading ideas.

message 35: by Daniel J. (new)

Daniel J. Nickolas (danieljnickolas) As you can see by the message number bar, I'm Felix. I love all types of literature, but there's a small cluster of islands in the north of Europe that just can't be beat.

message 36: by Ana (new)

Ana | 1 comments Hi! My name is Ana, I'm from Portugal and I love to read British literature, especially classics. I also read books in English, I think it's a great way of learning more about the language. My favourite British authors are Arthur Conan Doyle, Jane Austen, Charlotte and Emily Brontë.

message 37: by Cora (new)

Cora Tea Party Princess (corazie) | 2 comments My name is Cora, I'm 22 and I live in Britain. I love what our authors produce and I read as much local/regional work as possible.

message 38: by Izabel (new)

Izabel Library (IzaLibrary) | 1 comments Hello,
My name is Iza, I'm a French librarian who manages the British books in my library. I love British literature, so I thought it would be a good idea to join. I'm interested mainly in contemporary novels, but also classics.

message 39: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Hello my fellow readers!

My name is Apollonia, I'm a fifteen years old girl with a love for anything and everything British.

I'm a huge lover of the classics but I enjoy just about anything :)

message 40: by Lei (new)

Lei Miralles | 1 comments Hello. I am Leira, from Manila, Philippines. I'm taking up AB Foreign Service and I love British Literature. Wuthering Heights is my favorite book.:)) I would love to talk to people who have the same interests as I do.

message 41: by Federico (new)

Federico Trejos (goura) | 1 comments Lei wrote: "Hello. I am Leira, from Manila, Philippines. I'm taking up AB Foreign Service and I love British Literature. Wuthering Heights is my favorite book.:)) I would love to talk to people who have the sa..."
Hi Leira, welcome! I love Wuthering Heights lots too! I have the album of Kate Bush, the movies, it's like a myth to me, with so many symbols and layers! A true love story in its ghostliness and mystery! Hope to hear from you! :)

message 42: by Susan (new)

Susan (twins69) | 11 comments Hi everyone. My name is Susan and I live in Milwaukee WI. I went and saw Paul McCartney in concert this July with a good friend. It was a sold out concert. I took some pictures and will make a collage out of them. I had a great time and we sang along to all of our favorite tunes. Just wanted to share that with you. I would like to check out the new book that just came out from Susan Branch about England. I'm so excited about Prince George. I saw the new mug that was made for him.

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahzuchowski) Hey, I'm Sarah. I live smack-dab in the middle of the United States in Kansas, home to Superman and Dorothy. I'm currently in college for history and archaeology. I love both British and American Literature equally- though I must say I think British Lit. brings that romanticized feel. If anyone should like to recommend anything I'm all ears, but I have read a great deal already.

message 44: by Dena (new)

Dena Huff (huffreadsstuff) | 6 comments Hi, I'm Dena Huff. I can't believe there is also someone named Dana Huff here! Anyway, my love of British Literature started when I was a teenager with Jane Eyre. Since then I have loved reading stories that take place in England, and I also tend to love the characters and the language used. I joined this group for the discussions but also to learn about new authors.

message 45: by Adriano (new)

Adriano Bulla (adriano_bulla) | 1 comments Hello,

I'm Ade, born in Italy but very British by adoption /choice.

message 46: by Charaf (new)

Charaf Fouda (charaf_fouda) | 1 comments My name is Charaf, i'm from Morocco, I've got started to join this group because of i'm already a student in english litérature and i'd like to emprove my english reading skills.

Thanks

message 47: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Brunsdon (azlander) | 1 comments Hello I'm Gabriel,
Although I'm an Australian, my fantasy novel is very English.
Hopefully the language is authentic.
Azlander: Second NatureGabriel Brunsdon

I'm putting it up free now on wattpad:http://www.wattpad.com/story/17934684...

message 48: by Gemma (new)

Gemma Hi,
I'm Gemma and I am from the UK.
I am a full-time mummy to two girls aged 5 and 3 years so I don't get as much time to read adult books as I would like but am loving re-reading all my favourite childrens books again.

I love British literature (obviously, being from the UK) and am particularly interested in Victorian literature. I am currrently reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and it is wonderful.

Thank you for having me in this group and I look forward to talking books with you all soon!

Happy reading :-)

message 49: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel Spencer Hi, My name is Gabriel, I'm from California, USA.
I enjoy British Literature. I feel as if I'm connecting to my ancestral family when I learn more about the English. And there's something royal to that family that we Americans traded off for our independence and our voice.

I'm currently reading A Parcel of Ribbons: Letters of the 18th century Lee family in London and Jamaica. The letters don't add up to literature in the way of a Samuel Richardson book, but my attention is held by the privileged look I am given of very personal events, told in the attitude of British distance. The letters are often tedious, but because of the position of the Lees in society, their personal events sometimes bridge into historical events, and that is when I feel I have found a gem.

I enjoy Austen especially, so will look into the current book even as I continue my own, and hope to connect to the group conversation.

message 50: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (ellie_dp) Hello, everyone! I am Ellie and I am from Bulgaria. Nice to meet you.

« previous 1