Our Shared Shelf discussion

Emma's Picks > Reviews for Sex and World Peace

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Mar 08, 2020 02:20PM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Let us know what you thought of Sex and World Peace by Valerie M. Hudson, Bonnie Ballif-Spanvill, Mary Caprioli, Chad F. Emmett.

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles | 24 comments Globally the first chapter gives us definitions that allows us to read the book, but also examples in the second chapter of these definitions that are really connected to reality and can be heartening and hard to digest.

For exemple the Half-brained decision making section in which are portrayed individuals like traders who are described as they really are, potential life destructor, males full of testosterone and men that takes risk to make money, that doesn't respond rationally and take ressources from the others with the minimum effort, and just right after in the boys' world of economic unreality is portrayed a young girl from Zimbabwe who struggle for life and is considered an inactive person according to the western laws of economic while she start her day at 4 am and finish at 9 pm, bare footed.

The second chapter describe what's a "microaggression" which is a term highlighted by Emma in her interview who fits very well with the actual subjects evoked concerning how women are treated by men all around the planet and made me think of "The dead zone" evoked by Clarissa Pinkola Estes in "Woman who run with the wolves"

Theses are some of the themes of secrets : Betrayal, forbidden love, unsanctioned curiosity, desperate acts, forced acts, unrequited love, jealousy and rejection, retribution and rage, cruelty to self or others, disapproved desires, wishes, and dreams, disapproved sexual interests and lifestyles, unplanned pregnancies, hatred and agressions accidental death or injury, broken promises, loss of courage, loss of temper, incompletion of something , inability to do something, behind the scenes interventions and manipulations (mentors), neglect, abuse, and the list goes on[...]

The keeping of secrets cuts a woman off from those who would give her love, succor, and protection.

It causes her to carry the burden of grief and fear all by herself, and sometimes for an entire group, whether family or culture. Further, as Jung said, keeping secrets cuts us from the unconscious. where there is a shaming secret, there is always a dead zone int th woman psyche, a place that does not feel or respond properly to her own continuing emotional life events or to the emotional life events of others [...]

We can clearly see that women of all conditions are victim of Microagression.

I think about Emma first, with the title of her interview and the first orientation chosen by the teen vogue staff which doesn't really represent her work but tend to use her sexual life instead of her name, or her work as a UN ambassador for to sell the article, which may reflect exactly all the society problems evoked by the book, she is fighting against. She can be taken seriously as a woman because she is a single famous woman... and such microagressions leads to the Dead Zone, which may discourage someone to pursue her fight.

But I think also to all the women portrayed in the book, and that help being more conscious of what really happens in the world and what as to change to obtain more equality.

Hopefully we have Emma and V. M Hudson and her colleagues to be our voices and to do the job, but the first article of teen vogue shows there is still a lot of work to do.

I'm in a middle of chapter three so far, and carve for the other chapters...

message 3: by Charles (last edited Apr 06, 2020 07:32AM) (new)

Charles | 24 comments Today I finished the book and it's kind of technical in chapter three and four, actually I confess, I would love to here someone's thought about it or may be explanations or anything because it's really hard to digest.

Chapter 5 and 6 were easier to read and chapter 7 offer a good conclusion to the book.

Chapter 6 is for me very powerful, the bottom-up approach is really heartening! They should have add the example of the famous single woman, forced by tabloids to feel pressure because she is close to 30 yo and is not married and fight the journalists to be taken seriously (lol any resemblance to people already or having existed is completely coincidental)

look forward to hearing your comments

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 2 comments I started this yesterday and have finished up through chapter 2. I will start chapter 3 later this afternoon.

Thematically it reminds me a lot of The Moment of Lift: How Empowering Women Changes the World.

message 5: by Yahel (new)

Yahel (yahelrodriguezm) | 1 comments Currently in chapter 2. I must say, I’m having a hard time reading all the things women go through just because they were born women. It makes me sad, it makes me angry, it makes me feel impotent as I cannot help them. “What can I do? What can be done?” are the questions that cross my mind while reading this book.

It’s the second book I’ve read from Our Shared Shelve. It has shaken me to my core.

message 6: by Peter (last edited May 02, 2020 10:31AM) (new)

Peter | 66 comments Yahel wrote: "It makes me sad, it makes me angry, it makes me feel impotent as I cannot help them. “What can I do? What can be done?” are the questions that cross my mind while reading this book."

Chapters 5 and 6 will offer specific answers to your cogent questions. Hang in there!

:)

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 11 comments I'm finishing Chapter 3 now and think this book is an absolute gem, especially the discussion on the root cause and it's connection to larger, visible acts of microaggression. I also appreciate the multidisciplinary explanation of individual and group behavior. Quarentine reading has been slow, but I hope to finish this week.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
I'm playing catch up on this book.

But even though Sex & World Peace is coming to an end as a monthly read, you are still welcome to post your thoughts and questions about the book here.

I know I will!

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments I finished reading the book and was shocked to the core too of some of the examples that she brought up. I liked the concept of the 3 ways in which women's live can be improved. Valerie Hudson has since published a second book, but one of the reviewers lamented that it was very Western focused. While I didn't feel it that much in terms of this book, I wonder what other people thought. does it take a very western perspective only? Has anyone from a non-Christian background read this book? What have you thought about?

message 10: by Peter (new)

Peter | 66 comments Rachel wrote: "Valerie Hudson has since published a second book, but one of the reviewers lamented that it was very Western focused ...."

I would be very curious to hear a critique of Hudson's books as "Western focused". I don't see it. I just returned her second book, The First Political Order: How Sex Shapes Governance and National Security Worldwide to the library. It makes the case that the subordination of women is a causal factor in global violence from analyzing data from 176 countries. Maps of the entire globe are throughout. To quote from the conclusion:

"This research tells us something very important—the subordination of women is not an idiosyncratic cultural or religious or regional phenomenon. Rather, it is a universal political order—a first sexual political order—that exists prior to and molds what we perceive to be cultural and religious differences between countries and regions.... The true clash of civilizations is not West versus East, or North versus South: the true clash is subordination of women versus non-subordination of women as the first political order upon which a civilization is built."

Personally, I think Hudson and her colleagues deserve the Nobel Peace Prize for their work. The next question is: What will it take for global leaders to both read and heed them?

message 11: by Clara (new)

Clara | 7 comments This book really opened up a whole new perspective on (foreign) politics for me and I am very glad I read it. Overall, the first two chapters were most important for me: how women should be included into foreign politics/their role when it comes to peace(keeping) and the three wounds. I expected it to be more about foreign politics in consequence, but the latter chapters focused on nation states while applying a global view. I have some points that I didn’t quite grasp or are wondering about, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts:
- The examples: While reading, I wondered who this book was written for. As some of you mentioned, the examples are heartbreaking and simplify the understanding of some concepts. But I would have preferred a stronger theoretical point of view and less examples. Especially in the last chapters, I also wondered about the process of choosing them: how many women/girls tried to speak up but weren’t successful...
- chapter 3, evolutionary biology and psychology: anyone else felt weird while reading this? It seems to be generalised a lot, the distinction between sex and gender is not coherent, I feel like I need to reread it... and Evolution somewhat includes a historical perspective, something that is mostly absent in the other chapters. This are snapshots and although they are valuable because they present data in this framing for the first time(?), it lacks complexity.
- the western perspective: I am part of the global north myself but I did wonder about some aspects while reading. E. g. Concerning the discussion of rules for migrants in chapter 5: I know from feminist discussions in at least three European countries that the hijab is highly debated. So generalisations are made, a lot of countries and religions aren’t considered, the speakers position is not reflected. I think this is similar to the distinction I mentioned above: on the one hand, a global perspective on sex and peace and on the other, foreign politics that included these thoughts on sex and world peace, as two different things. But I think foreign politics is a difficult task itself: How can I tell someone how to improve things?
All in all, I am really glad I read it because it has given me a lot of thing to think about but I feel like the book mentions a lot of aspects whiteout going in the deep. I would have preferred a focus on some points - what do you think?