Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > What are you currently reading? (October)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) I found it odd that there wasn't a thread for this so I thought I'd start one. (Hope that's ok!) So, it's the middle of September, what are you currently reading?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) I'm in the middle of two books right now:

Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent [image error]

Stray has been very up and down for me. In the beginning I sympathized with Faythe and definitely understood her side, but then she just wouldn't let up on the whining. And she definitely needs to learn when to take a stand and when to sit back and listen and do what makes sense. So, the middle was a little rough and I started to really dislike her. The last third of the book has been a lot better though. Faythe has matured enough that I don't want to slap her around anymore. I'm just about done with it and I'll probably continue with the series.

The Hollow is good, although it has some of the trappings of typical teen fiction. The subject/plot is definitely different from anything else out there though. I also went on the author's site and signed up for some goodies and they just came the other day - I got two stickers and a signed postcard. Pretty nifty. Here's a link if you want to get some stuff too!

message 3: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Sep 19, 2009 01:36PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
I am struggling through Jim Butcher's Storm Front.

I don't tend to like male writers, not trying to be sexist or anything.. the opinion is from experience.
Though I did like Michael Romkey's take on vampires in I, Vampire The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...

So meh.

I am also reading Slave to Sensation and am liking it a lot :D

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry

I needed a change from my paranormals. :)

message 5: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla981) | 26 comments Fragile Eternity by Melissa Marr

I joined a reading challenge for September. I've read one book from it. Fragile Eternity is not on it, nor are the other books I have waiting to be read. At any rate, this is what I am reading now and next I am going to read either Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins or Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton. Choices, choices.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 168 comments I'm listening to the the audiobook of The Hunger Games and am really enjoying it so far. I read a few reviews that said it wasn't as good as Battle Royale. I've never read that book, but I have seen the movie and there are obvious similarities, but it doesn't detract from the story for me.

Last night I finished up Wanderlust in preparation for the third book in the series which is due out at the end of the month. I really enjoyed it and need to write up a review.

I'm currently reading Tau Zero to appease my husband. I'm only about 60 pages in so far and I'm not loving it. Of course as it's only about 200 pages long, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the book. We shall see though as I think it's just about to get interesting.

message 7: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (last edited Sep 20, 2009 09:01PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
I am reading several books crossing several genres. I don't have a fave...THEY ARE ALL GOOD! I am having trouble choosing just one to read for the day. It is nice to see that I am making progress and that I am more than half way through the lot of them =D

Unhappy Endings v Brian Keene [short stories collection/horror:]
To Tame a Highland Warrior v Karen Marie Moning [historical/highlander:]
Secrets, Skin and Leather v Sean Michael [BDSM/MxM/Leather fetish:]
The Bipolar Advantage v Tom Wootton [non-fiction/for BOM Bipolar support group:]

message 8: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

WTG Shannon =D I did not realize we did not have a CR thread. We will have to update it monthly to keep it current. Awesome!

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments Just picked up Storm Glass by Maria V. Snyder.

message 10: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I am currently reading The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson. Earlier this month I read Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs, Summer Knight by Jim Butcher, The Sharing Knife Legacy and The Sharing Knife Passage by Lois Mcmaster Bujold, and Neverwhere A Novel
by Neil Gaiman. That's all I can remember.

message 11: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments I am currently reading Visions of Heat by Nalini Singh, which I'm kind of struggling to get through. This is surprising considering I really liked the first in the series and Angels' Blood. Also reading Storm Front on occasion and listening to Swapping Lives on commute. Enjoying that one. Trying to figure out what I'm going to get next on audio since I'm almost done with it.

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) Finally finished Stray, here's my review if you're interested, and in an attempt to finish some challenges I started a bunch of books last night. I'm going to keep reading a couple of chapters from each until one grabs me. I have a feeling that Georgina's book will be the one I finish first.

[image error] Real World by Natsuo Kirino Evernight (Evernight, #1) by Claudia Gray [image error]

message 13: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments I am running through the Black Dagger Brotherhood....

message 14: by Book Huntress (new)

Book Huntress (bookhuntress) | 84 comments Wasn't sure where to put this, but this site was posted on another groupa dn thought i would share - it lists local library sales

BookSaleFinder.com

message 15: by Monica (new)

Monica | 6 comments Just got retribution by jeanne stein from the library. kinda dark vampire series. so far so good...

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I finished The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson and am now reading Death Masks by Jim Butcher

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 168 comments Finished The Hunger Games on the commute in this morning and am starting Catching Fire on the drive home.

I also started Conspiracy Game so I can discover for myself the wonder that is the Norton twins. So far so good, but then I haven't been disappointed by the Ghostwalker series yet.

message 18: by Katt (new)

Katt Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian Series, # 1) by Keri Arthur
Full Moon Rising By Keri Arthur
Finishing this love it. not sure what I'm reading next.

message 19: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) Finished Death Masks and started Blood Rites by Jim Butcher.

message 20: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ I'm reading Doomsday Can Wait and
starting Death's Daughter tomorrow.

message 21: by ♦Jennifer♦ (last edited Sep 27, 2009 11:06PM) (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) | 83 comments I am also currently running through the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. So many rave reviews on here that I just had to see what all the fuss was about. Right now I'm reading.
[image error]

message 22: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Just finished the first of the Demonica series. It was so great I went out and bought #2 and #3 because library doesn't have those yet. Not sure if I'll start 2 or read a Mary Balogh book I have...

message 23: by Katt (new)

Katt Now reading CheckMate by kallysten

message 24: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Finished Unhappy Endings ***, and Secrets, Skin and Leather ***** + review =D. Currently reading With Love v J.L. Langley.

message 25: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla981) | 26 comments I am reading Danse Macabre by Laurell K. Hamilton. I am almost done with that and I think that I will be starting Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow unless Dead Perfect by Amanda Ashley comes in before that.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments I will start Covet by JR Ward today.

message 27: by new_user (new)

new_user Lucky... *sniff* I think Covet will be my gift to myself next week, LOL.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 276 comments You deserve it! Plus, it has a blurb from Lover Mine in the back. I peeked. :)

message 29: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I saw COVET today at Walamrt for $5.97. But I just could NOT get it! I just got 5 books. I have to hold off for a few days, lol.

I am CR the oh so yummy SWING by Opal Carew.For my PNR its a highlander historical by KMM To Tame a Highland Warrior.

message 30: by Katt (new)

Katt Started The Scent of Shadows: The First Sign of the Zodiac. It seems very good sad and scary.

message 31: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

FINISHED Swing and really liked the swingers resort theme. More 'erotic' than 'romance'. But I liked the characters and the roles they played. Now I am juggling some swappables. CR STORM BORN by Richelle Mead. Really good so far!

[image error] [image error]

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 168 comments Just finished Covet yesterday and loved it. I'm now reading The Darkest Whisper and trying to remember the story thus far with the Lords...

Lu (Sugar & Snark) I definitely have to read Covet sometime :) Reading Spud atm. Very funny read so far :D

message 34: by Paula (new)

Paula (pauldajo) I finished Wait Till Helen Comes A Ghost Story. I'm now reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman.

message 35: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) I started [image error] yesterday and I'm just about finished with it. It has an interesting premise but the main character is just a bit too vindictive for my tastes. I really hope she grows up a little by the end of the book.

message 36: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (theholyterror) So I finished Give Up the Ghost and it wasn't very good. I'm still working on a few books from September (The Hollow, Real World, Evernight, and Evil Without a Face) but I started two new books anyway for challenges this month:

Enchanted Again by Nancy Madore [image error]

The first story in Enchanted Again was kind of weird and hot at the same time. Soulless already seems like a lot of fun and I'm only 12 pages in. It reminds me a lot of Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles.

Lu (Sugar & Snark) Done with Spud. Reading Wicked Lovely now :)

Spud by John van de Ruit Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr

message 38: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla981) | 26 comments Dead Perfect - Amanda Ashley. Just picked it up tonight after finishing Carpe Corpus - Rachel Caine.

message 39: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) | 83 comments Right now I'm reading [image error] by Richelle Mead. So far, so good. :)

Lu (Sugar & Snark) Jennifer i loved that book! Done with Wicked Lovely. Reading Blood Promise now :D

Spud by John van de Ruit Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) by Melissa Marr [image error]

message 41: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I am CR read 3 books [that I will swap:]. I fave being The Man Within v Lora Leigh . I just want to read LL's books from cover to cover, but I can't risk the eye strain. LOL. I am LOVING the Breeds and will def. want to buy the rest of the series.

The Man Within (Breed Series, #2) by Lora Leigh [image error] White Out by Vicki Delany

message 42: by AmandaG (new)

AmandaG (amandag3) | 73 comments Shannon you have my interest piqued when you said Soulless is like the Gardella series. Loved that series (even though I still have yet to read the final one). Hadn't heard of Soulless before. Must check out at my next opportunity.

message 43: by ♦Jennifer♦ (new)

♦Jennifer♦ (thejenneral) | 83 comments Lu, Storm Born was awesome! Can't wait to read the second in the series.

Right now I've moved on to the BOM The Scent of Shadows The First Sign of the Zodiac by Vicki Pettersson Lovin' it so far :)

message 44: by Joelle (new)

Joelle | 47 comments Just finished What a dragon should know by G A Aiken What A Dragon Should Know (Dragon Kin, #3) by G.A. Aiken now I am starting Friday night bites by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill

message 45: by Carla (new)

Carla (carla981) | 26 comments Just finished Dead Perfect by Amanda Ashley. It was good. Reminded me of a cross between Interview with the Vampire (just some of the dialog used) and Twilight with more sex (not by much, mind you).
This may have been the tamest romance novel that I have ever read. Of course, I've been reading a lot of LKH lately (nope, it's still not too much sex for me).
I'm torn regarding my next read. It will either be Queene of Light by Jennifer Armintrout or Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. Maybe The Harlequin by LKH...to hard to decide!

message 46: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Do yall buy the BOM if:
a) you don't have it but want to read it with the group.
b) never heard of the book/author but think it sounds good and want to read with the group?

A bit off topic but just curious.

I am liking the BREEDS series so far with The Man Within. Not totally blown away but I like the concept of the mating heat. LL's male characters are always a bit cave-manish to me but I like reading her books anyhow. For a quickie.

message 47: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Yes. If the book looks interesting enough I get it and read it, even if the book was not on my TBR list.

It's actually one of the ways I have found new authors to love :D

message 48: by Joelle (last edited Oct 09, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Joelle | 47 comments since I have joined I have bought all the books of the month mostly just to read it with the group. I don't even have to like how it sounds because I am a true book addict....I just like to have them!

message 49: by new_user (new)

new_user I usually read BOM if it's a book I'm already interested in. :)

message 50: by Katt (new)

Katt That is why I joined the group. Wanted to read books and discuss so love buying the BOM. Reading and reviewing and hearing other peoples opinions is fun too.

« previous 1