What's Cookin' discussion

Archives > What cooking magazines do you subscribe to?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Valerie (last edited Mar 20, 2008 07:13AM) (new)

Valerie I used to have subscriptions to quite a few cooking magazines P.T. (Pre-Toddler). But now that I have more limited time, I'm down to two: Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, and Cook's Illustrated (which I find myself cooking from less and less...).

How about you?

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie I almost forgot - I saw this magazine in the check-out line of the bookstore yesterday, and I thought it looked pretty good. It's called Clean Eating. Has anyone seen/read it?

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/MiniSit...

I should have picked it up, but I was on my way out. I'm not sure that I subscribe to the entire "eating clean" lifestyle, but I think it could be a great source for healthy recipes.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Yes:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/

They have some nice books out, too. Here's a link to one:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Time...

Are you a vegetarian, Maurice?

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty | 5 comments I subscribe to quite a few, but the order in which I will read them is telling :-) Cook's Illustrated and Saveur get read first, followed by Fine Cooking and Food & Wine. I often find that I have several months worth of Gourmet and Bon Appetit stacked up untouched.

Another favorite, while not really a cooking magazine is Gastronomica, a quarterly journal of food culture.

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Has anyone tried Cook's Country (also by the editors of Cook's Illustrated)? I got a subscription when it first came out, and I didn't renew it... I don't think I made one recipe from that whole year's worth of issues (six).

message 6: by Happyreader (new)

Happyreader Like Betty, I also subscribe to quite a few food magazines, with my absolute favorite being Saveur. I also get Fine Cooking, Gourmet (which I used to dislike but has improved considerably with Ruth Reichl as Editor-in-Chief), Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, Eating Well, and Vegetarian Times.

I don't subscribe to Cook's Illustrated because it seems similar to Fine Cooking and I like the recipes in Fine Cooking better. I also enjoy the Bon Appetit and Gourmet recipes.

The most disappointing of my mags are Cooking Light (great nutrition and exercise but the recipes are hit or miss and the recipes seem light only because they make their portion sizes so tiny) and Eating Well (again good nutrition but the recipes never come out right).

I also get Gastronomica online through the ProQuest database that is one of my University of Illinois Alumni perks. I like it. Gastronomica is eclectic and scholarly and completely different from all the other food mags.

message 7: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Thanks for the Gastronomica tips... I'm going to check it out the next time I'm at the bookstore (I'm assuming they'll have it at Borders/B&N?).

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) I am not sure I like the direction Bon Appetit went this year. but amoungst my family we have BA stock-piled dating back to the early 80s (maybe later??). and believe it or not, Cooking Light puts out an ok magazine. they have special editions you can get in addition to the monthly mags. their chicken book is good. my dad lost his, ordered a dozen more, then found it the next day.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm a regular purchaser of BBC Good Foods (which I'd love to subscribe to but man!! It's waaay expensive to have shipped over).

It's Cooking Illustrated & Bon Appetit (free sub with the cookbook purchase) that are comin' to the house right now.

message 10: by Ekko (new)

Ekko | 2 comments Super Food Ideas. its australian not sure if there are australians here or not

its 3.25 and its a great mag.

message 11: by Meridee (last edited Apr 13, 2008 04:10PM) (new)

Meridee | 14 comments Vegetarian Times, Bon Appetit, Cook's Illustrated,Rachel Ray's Everyday,Sunset Magazine (great regional and seasonal recipes), Taste of Home, Eating Well.