The Dresden Files Read-Along discussion

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
This topic is about Summer Knight
Book 4: SUMMER KNIGHT (Spoilers Allowed)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Berkley Publishing Group (berkleypub) | 14 comments Mod
A heartbroken Harry gets caught up in Faerie politics. Let's talk SUMMER KNIGHT! Spoilers through SKIN GAME are permissible, so new readers beware.

Meryl | 11 comments This is the book where I really got hooked. I think some of it was because Ebenezer and his story line come into play, and partly because Harry starts developing - beyond the relationship with Lea and Toot Toot - a more clearly defined relationship to Faerie. Also, Karrin finally gets truly clued in, and the Harry/Karrin relationship begins to evolve. Oh, and let's not forget that Molly starts to be a defined character, too. I read/listen to this book regularly, and am looking forward to hearing everyone's reactions. :)

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam Miller | 1 comments Hell's Bells, the amount of set up and hints that occur in the first few chapters alone are amazing in hindsight. The White Council scene by itself is chock full of them; Harry and Eb's relationship, that scum bastard Peabody, Hell even something from the latest microfiction might have been hinted at. Martha Liberty asks Eb if he knows what Harry was meant to "become". I first thought she meant becoming a master warlock minion of Justin, but the Morgan microfiction makes me think she is referencing the "Destroyer". Morgan knows about the Destroyer, why wouldn't a Senior Council member and the Blackstaff? This and Grave Peril really show Jim's skill at setting things up for the future.

message 4: by Paulum Mortis (new)

Paulum Mortis | 14 comments I’d been working under the assumption Adversary was some form of pathogen which overwrites a person’s spiritual aspect—and that is probably still true—but Journal Microfiction implies something different, so…

Teenyfiction: Admirable Restraint
This is a disaster. I should have dealt with this years ago. He’s set up a situation where the youngest wizard on the White Council could incite open war with the Red Court. Used DuMorne’s teaching to betray the Archangel compound and get
“Named Character dearly loved” killed, along with Pietrovich and dozens of others. And now he’s positioned himself as a fulcrum between Summer and Winter in a conflict liable to cause untold devastation.

Never in all my years have I seen an individual so obviously hagridden by an Adversary.

Sorry Margaret this is the only way I can free the poor boy. I know you’d never forgive me, but it is what I must do.

----
Am I reading this right? Morgan and LaFortier are both unmitigated asshats but neither are infected by Adversary. And if Lovecraft and Stoker are both writing accurate fiction, why not Heinlein. Bloody hell, Morgan’s reaction up to this book has been restrained. I’d have just killed Dresden in his sleep years ago… though I’m now worried about my Pirate getting infected, and interested to learn whether Adversarys need to go into Direct Conference.

message 5: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Fleetwood | 5 comments This too was where Butcher got his hooks into me. I think it was the development of the milieu with Faerie that really caught me.
Up to "Summer Knight," it was a bit so-so; after this there was no stopping until I was forced to wait for the release of "Ghost Story" after that cliffhanger at the end of "Changes"!

message 6: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Fleetwood | 5 comments Sam wrote: "Hell's Bells, the amount of set up and hints that occur in the first few chapters alone are amazing in hindsight. The White Council scene by itself is chock full of them; Harry and Eb's relationshi..."
It's true -- until this read-along, I had no idea how much he laid down in the early books. He must have had swathes mapped out before he ever began to write!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments My favorite line in this book and maybe my favorite first line of any book ever: "It rained toads the day the White Council came to town."

Wowieeee

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments Why does Elaine have a silver pentagram necklace like Harry's and Toe-moss'? Those were given by their mother but did Justin give Elaine the necklace to feel part of the tribe? Did Harry buy it for Elaine? With what money?

message 9: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntm) | 6 comments In this day in history, the German city, Dresden, was bombed by allied forces, the destruction being so devastating that it ruined the city. Once renowned for its rich architectural and artistic treasures, it was considered the “Florence of the Elbe.”

So, I never looked up Harry’s last name; however, when I saw this information about Dresden, I began to wonder what Harry’s last name reveals about him, especially since Lea and others have referred to him as a destroyer, saying that he was made to bring destruction. He has destroyed many, including the vampire courts. What do the rest of his names reveal about him?

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments Okay how many of us, when doing yard work, swear and call a yard plant a Chlorofiend?

message 11: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 5 comments I'm going to be the nitpick spoilsport who points out that Chicago has forcibly prevented Wal Mart from opening any stores in Chicago. It shouldn't bother me that Butcher places one there, but for some absurd reason, it DOES. It's part of the Chicago culture Butcher misses, being as he isn't actually from the area.

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie Gattis (jukiee) | 32 comments Kat wrote: "I'm going to be the nitpick spoilsport who points out that Chicago has forcibly prevented Wal Mart from opening any stores in Chicago. It shouldn't bother me that Butcher places one there, but for ..."

Really? I didn't think anything could stop Walmart or Amazon.

message 13: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 5 comments The city has deliberately not let in many big box stores. They have allowed Target in, because the company agreed to pay a better wage to the employees. Wal Mart is infamous for not making those concessions, though, so no Wal Marts.

message 14: by Kat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kat | 5 comments Well, upon research, I was apparently incorrect. There is one Wal Mart on the west side. https://www.goodjobsfirst.org/chicago...

message 15: by palu (new) - added it

palu (clocklungs) | 1 comments +1 to why does Elaine have a silver pentacle that's the same as the ones Harry and Thomas have?

message 16: by Ted (new)

Ted (tedeg) | 3 comments Dawn wrote: "What do the rest of his names reveal about him?"Blackstone and Copperfield are both famous stage magicians.

Jeanie | 2 comments Ted wrote: "Dawn wrote: "What do the rest of his names reveal about him?"Blackstone and Copperfield are both famous stage magicians."

He's a famous magician times three... Harry's first name is for Harry Houdini, arguably the most famous magician ever.

Meryl | 11 comments Kat wrote: "I'm going to be the nitpick spoilsport who points out that Chicago has forcibly prevented Wal Mart from opening any stores in Chicago. It shouldn't bother me that Butcher places one there, but for ..."

Sorry to tell you, but there've been Wal-Mart stores in Chicago since the mid-90s. It was a bit shocking when the first one opened, but - well - they're there.

Meryl | 11 comments palu wrote: "+1 to why does Elaine have a silver pentacle that's the same as the ones Harry and Thomas have?"

You, know, I've wondered this myself, since Harry got his mother's. There must be something about Justin here?

message 20: by Yasmin (last edited Feb 16, 2020 09:54PM) (new)

Yasmin Mazur | 27 comments Meryl wrote: "palu wrote: "+1 to why does Elaine have a silver pentacle that's the same as the ones Harry and Thomas have?"

You, know, I've wondered this myself, since Harry got his mother's. There must be some..."

it's the symbol of order - a pentacle star defined by a circle - I don't think Margaret invented that. It's like having a crusifics necklace for a christian - there are many different designes around, but if you bring a picture of one you like, you can find a replica pretty easily.
The other design for chaos - where the circle is too small to contain the star - would probably be harder to get - kinda like anouncing you're a satanist or something like that.

This raises the question - if a wizard believes in Order, how evil can he still be? Justin clearly let his wards believe in it, but he was doing deals with Walkers, which represent Chaos...

message 21: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntm) | 6 comments To Jeanie and Ted, yes all of Harry’s names belong to famous stage magicians, but each one of those has a specialty that Harry learns from are identifies one of his abolition. For instance, when Harry was trying to get away from the Street Wolves, he was inspired by Houdini who said that there is never a binding he couldn’t get out of.

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawntm) | 6 comments Damn spellcheck, he learns from each of the magicians for whom he is named, or they have characteristics that identify one of his abilities.

message 23: by Jorge (new)

Jorge | 1 comments I feel the whole book is one of transition in which Harry comes to terms with the fact he doesn't have the right to keep everyone in the dark, even when he does it to try and protect them. The book opens with him grappling with the fact he couldn't prevent harm from falling on Susan and can't find a cure. He tries to shut away advice and a helping hand from Billy and the werepups. He hasn't yet revealed the actual workings of the supernatural world to Murphy or the Alphas.

As the plot develops and he embraces this concept, his allies are able to lend more help to his quest and reward the trust and respect with a deeper bond. Murphy becomes his right hand girl and the Alphas become fully fledged allies. Elaine rewards his trust and respect of her choice to not go to the council and gives him an out from a tough spot against Summer. Even the Gatekeeper (who we didn't even know before this book) responds to Harry's honesty extending a helping hand.
It's a great step forward from the stubborn way he tried to face conflict alone in the earlier books and allows his character to grow. Grave peril may have begun the war and the overarching plot lines but for me Summer Knight sold me on Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, I will follow him to hell and back.