2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Year of the Flood (MaddAddam #2)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments I’m planning on continuing with the series and joining you all in February.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments I just finished Oryx and Crake and it ended with a cliffhanger there. I’m waiting to get this one from the library, it had to get sent over to mine from one of the other county libraries. I can’t wait to see how this all pans out.

message 3: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2224 comments Planning to start this next week. Got a couple of other books to finish before I begin this one.

message 4: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments I started this already. Just finished chapter 22. I find the Gardeners interesting. (view spoiler)

The main characters: (view spoiler)

message 5: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Read through chapter 44. Sorry I'm ahead but I have to return the book to the library next week. I'll just make some very short notes up to this point.

(view spoiler)

message 6: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Feb 06, 2020 08:18PM) (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2224 comments I’ve read till chapter 42 and here are a few thoughts I have -

The festival of Arks (after chapter 17):(view spoiler)

Chapter 24: (view spoiler)

Chapter 28: (view spoiler)

Chapter 31: (view spoiler)

Chapter 40: (view spoiler)

message 7: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2224 comments Just finished this book and in total awe of Margaret Atwood. Can’t wait to engage in discussions with you all once more of you start reading it.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments I finished the book today!

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 804 comments L'm listening to it right now.

message 10: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 804 comments Finished it. I like it.

She knows how to make us feel like this could happen. She has so much imaginations were it comes to the animals. The audio was great Adam1 sings!

message 11: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments I am on chapter 5 but expect to get it finished by end of month. Cracking up over the hymnals, I know that Atwood is not for everyone, but she sure is for me! As a life-long vegan, I get to laugh at myself more than ever.

message 12: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments I have a general Amanda question (chapter 11). Is it Spoily to ask openly? Thanks!

message 13: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4092 comments I am way behind on my reading this month, but this one is next on my list! Hopefully I can start next week.

message 14: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3074 comments Shareen wrote: "I have a general Amanda question (chapter 11). Is it Spoily to ask openly? Thanks!"

It depends on the question I guess. If you're worried about it, use the spoiler tags that Kristin gave instructions for in the first post! 😊

message 15: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments I am on chapter 35 and have attempted to safely post on and off today; totally laughing at myself.

[spoiler]...(view spoiler)

message 16: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments OMG I DID IT! 744th time was a charm!

message 17: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments SarahKat wrote: "I started this already. Just finished chapter 22. I find the Gardeners interesting. [spoilers removed]

The main characters: [spoilers removed]"

YES! That was why I had the questions that I finally got posted!

message 18: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Trisha wrote: "I’ve read till chapter 42 and here are a few thoughts I have -

The festival of Arks (after chapter 17):[spoilers removed]

Chapter 24: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 28: [spoilers removed]
This helped SO MUCH.

Chapter 3..."

message 19: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Prior to Chapter 35:
[spoiler]...(view spoiler)

message 20: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2224 comments Shareen wrote: "Trisha wrote: "I’ve read till chapter 42 and here are a few thoughts I have -

Chapter 28: [spoilers remo..."

So glad it helped! 😊

message 21: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments THANK YOU FOR THE COACHING!

message 22: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new)

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2224 comments Shareen wrote: "Prior to Chapter 35:
[spoiler]...
Okay, so when we see Snowman Jimmy walking with the Crakers, that is prior to his tree dwelling on the shore of the first book?
[spoiler]...[spoilers removed]"

Since this is a spoiler, I’ll answer you within the tags below -
(view spoiler)

I hope I got your question right. Feel free to give me a shout if I didn’t!

message 23: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Trisha wrote: "Shareen wrote: "Prior to Chapter 35:
[spoiler]...
Okay, so when we see Snowman Jimmy walking with the Crakers, that is prior to his tree dwelling on the shore of the first book?
[spoiler]...[spoile..."

This incredibly helps me! And WOW, the author really does pull it all together, what a trip.

message 24: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Heavens, I am using my phone app, and I see that not all my Spoilers remained bracketed. If anyone catches this, no being shy! Tell me to fix it!

message 25: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 401 comments Trisha wrote: "I’ve read till chapter 42 and here are a few thoughts I have -

Chapter 28: [spoilers removed]

Chapter 3..."

I just read chapter 28 and was thinking the same thing. I know Oryx and Crake and The Year of the Flood are set in the same future world, but now they truly have a connection. Also can we talk about Zeb (view spoiler)

The more I read the more I am really starting to enjoy Atwood's writing. I love how things are shown little by little. I have some ideas about how things are connected, but I don't truly know. I like that because it makes the reading so much more interesting.

message 26: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Yes! Her connections are incremental, she is holding my attention, and wow on how everything does connect. I keep wanting to look for the symmetrical sections in the first book!

message 27: by Shareen (new)

Shareen Ghabrial (ghabi) | 299 comments Just finished Year of the Flood!! WOW, right?! I read the credits, the God’s Gardeners tunes were written by a guy in a town very close to where I live, I was NOT surprised, Hahaah.. We are a fruity bunch here in LA...

message 28: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4092 comments I just finished this book today and really like it! It is so great how Atwood develops her stories and intertwines the character's lives.
It is a scary time to read his book though, with Covid-19 turning into a pandemic.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.