2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Anne of Green Gables (#1)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Thank you!

message 2: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 400 comments I just bought the whole collection, so joining in at least for the first one :)

message 3: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Gabriella wrote: "I just bought the whole collection, so joining in at least for the first one :)"

Me too and beginning of this month I read before green gables!

message 4: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 400 comments Chantal wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "I just bought the whole collection, so joining in at least for the first one :)"

Me too and beginning of this month I read before green gables!"

Is it any good?

message 5: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Gabriella wrote: "Chantal wrote: "Gabriella wrote: "I just bought the whole collection, so joining in at least for the first one :)"

Me too and beginning of this month I read before green gables!"

Is it any good?"

4/5 I liked it but sometimes it was long. I have never read the anne book though

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 150 comments I would like to join for book 1 only if that is ok. Thanks.

message 7: by Andree-Anne (new)

Andree-Anne | 3 comments Hello! I will be joining for the 1st book only also. :) Happy February!

message 8: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments I read this the first time a couple of years ago. I’d be glad to join in the conversation for this and the 2nd one although I don’t think I’ll be able to reread them. When you get to the third I’ll read that one with you.

I just loved this book. Anne is wonderful and has such a positive spirit despite everything.

I think it’s worth mentioning that you can read this book for free on Serial Reader a free app.

message 9: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments I'd like to join as well since I want to re-read this entire series in original and see how different it was from the Polish translation I grew up with.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 9 comments This is one I have on my list for February! I hope I get to it - a buddy read sounds fun!

message 11: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments Oh, that sounds amazing, Susan! Life was so much slower then.

message 12: by Taisha (new)

Taisha Casimir (goodreadscomtaishacasimir) | 23 comments I would like to join in the conversation, I read the book last year during the holidays.

message 13: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Started the book yesterday. I was wondering, English isnt my first language and a lot the books that I read are English. Mostly there is none or mostly 2 words in total I have to look up because I have no clue what they mean. However I noticed that on the first page I already had 6 and the pages went on and one with words I had no clue of... How do other non native english readers see this? Or is my english just bad lol?

message 14: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments Chantal, you have to remember that this is a very old book and they used different vocabulary back then. Plus, Anne prodes herself on her “literariness” and she’s prone to using “big words”. 😊

message 15: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Diane wrote: "Chantal, you have to remember that this is a very old book and they used different vocabulary back then. Plus, Anne prodes herself on her “literariness” and she’s prone to using “big words”. 😊"

Didnt think about that! Well I am farther in the book and it is getting better. She sure likes to talk :-D

message 16: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments Chantal wrote: "Started the book yesterday. I was wondering, English isnt my first language and a lot the books that I read are English. Mostly there is none or mostly 2 words in total I have to look up because I ..."

Good to know. I already struggled through Treasure Island over Christmas and had the same issue but since I know it I'll start with the book later today.
Luckily I read it for the first time in Polish (way, way back) but that helps to get the general idea. I suppose I just mark the words I don't understand at all and look them up later.

message 17: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments What a cheecky little girl! I have to say I had read before green gables last month and it is a good prequel before this book.

message 18: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 62 comments Can I still join in? I started listening to it as a dramatic reading on librivox - and I'm totally in love! Anne is so terrific!

message 19: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments Gabi wrote: "Can I still join in? I started listening to it as a dramatic reading on librivox - and I'm totally in love! Anne is so terrific!"

Ofcourse you can!

message 20: by Agnieszka (last edited Feb 08, 2020 04:30AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 655 comments Gabi wrote: "Can I still join in? I started listening to it as a dramatic reading on librivox - and I'm totally in love! Anne is so terrific!"

This sounds great! I could give it a try. I'm not really getting into the ebook right now and I've seen the link to this reading in my book :-)

message 21: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments For the last pages I give it a try to. I am to tired to read today but I want to finish the book.

message 22: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 62 comments I listened through some of the narrations (there are quite a lot on librivox), since my library doesn't have the book (which is strange), and ended up on one with multiple narrators. It is quite well done.

I'm in chapter 12 now and I'm squeaking (or is this squealing? Me and English … ^^') like a little girl all the time. All my childhood memories are coming back (I loved the series adaptation back then).

message 23: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments I even laughed at a couple chapters! I never heard of anne before the netflix series though. I love it.

message 24: by Chantal (new)

Chantal | 435 comments I am done!

message 25: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments Yes, Anne is delightful and funny! Laughing definitely allowed!

message 26: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 62 comments I finished it and I'm so delighted that the spell still holds. This was such a lovely read!

message 27: by Dianne (last edited Feb 19, 2020 07:54AM) (new)

Dianne Mck. (diannemck) | 57 comments I just bought the series and would like to join in on Book #1. I've never read the books but love Anne with an E on Netflix. I also bought the series for my 10 year old Granddaughter and am so happy to read along with you all.

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle (elevatedbliss) | 56 comments This brings back lots of good memories! Anne is so dramatic and funny. I’m about halfway through the book and decided to watch the movie adaptation with Megan Follows & Jonathan Crombie.

message 29: by Elle (new)

Elle (elevatedbliss) | 56 comments February was a difficult reading month for me for some reason, but I finally finished Anne of Green Gables this morning. I actually enjoyed it more reading it as an adult than I did when I was a child. I can appreciate all the characters and the writing much more now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.