Play Book Tag discussion

My Sister, the Serial Killer
This topic is about My Sister, the Serial Killer
January 2020: Thriller > My Sister, The Serial Killer by Oyinkan Braithwaite / 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments This book is about exactly what the title suggests, a sister who is by definition a serial killer. But that is less thrilling than the tag would suggest and less interesting in its dark humor than many blurbs and reviews would suggest.

When I read Susan's review she argued this wasn't a dark comedy, and I smugly thought "this person probably just doesn't get dark humor" (I am sorry, Susan, please forgive me!) but she's right, this isn't dark comedy. I didn't find the dark humor in this either...

I think the perception this is dark comedy came perhaps from the fact that the titular sister, in the midst of dead boyfriends and murder investigations, continues to be flippantly self-involved and narcissistic. But the story is told from her older sister's point of view who deals with the fallout, in addition to being second to her sister all her life, so overall the story was sad and mildly depressing.

The pacing was OK, but I was never too invested in the characters, even though they were well-drawn, and it didn't feel like enough was at stake to feel compelled by the story.

It wasn't particularly gruesome, thrilling, funny, or anything really, just kinda meh.

I did enjoy the setting, Lagos, and that was probably my favorite part. This was a culture and world I know nothing about but I felt like I was learning something about the environment, social expectations, and class dynamics of Lagos.

This book is so fast-paced and short, it's worth reading for yourself to decide if you like it or not.

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments That was a weird book..... and the characters were disturbing, especially the non-serial killer sister

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments You thought Korede was disturbing? How so? I kept thinking something would be revealed about her because she is so OCD, but nothing really was...

message 4: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 27, 2020 01:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments Meli wrote: "You thought Korede was disturbing? How so? I kept thinking something would be revealed about her because she is so OCD, but nothing really was..."

****************SPOLIER*********************

She enabled her sister the serial-killer & even supported her with her last would-be victim.

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments I can't use the spoiler function on my phone so...

**************SPOILER WARNING**********************

Yeah, but I thought that spoke more to familial bonds than Korede's own moral principles and it was something she grappled with to the end. She had to burden that decision to help / cover up for her sister emotionally and it took its toll on her.

Susie | 4488 comments Meh was exactly my response. I didn’t find it funny in any way either.

Meli (melihooker) | 3154 comments And that's a bummer because I think the characters were well written, the novel felt real - not true to life real, but 3 dimensional - just kinda fell flat. I would love to read her again.

Susie | 4488 comments Yes, I’d like to read what she does next too. Hopefully she can add another layer of complexity to her writing.