Taste of Romance discussion

Book chat > Comfort Reads

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments After the news about Kobe, I'm in desperate need of a comfort read. Something that will cause me little to no anxiety about the characters and will help transport me to someplace else where things are nice and good things happen. I'm not a fan of historicals and would probably re-read one of the Rock Chick books if I didn't have them mostly memorized by now with all the re-reads. Anyone have a good idea for me to spend some time escaping with a great author?

message 2: by Antonella (new)

Antonella Lou Lou wrote: "After the news about Kobe, I'm in desperate need of a comfort read. Something that will cause me little to no anxiety about the characters and will help transport me to someplace else where things ..."

do you read PNR/fantasy?

message 3: by Antonella (new)

Antonella I would recommend some of the books that made laugh out loud;
Seduction and Snacks
Texas Rose Forever
Lost and Found

then there are some that funny and steamy reads;
Melt for You
Kiss an Angel

and if you like pnr/fantasy definitely Ilona Andrews Hidden Legacy series.

message 4: by Janelle b (new)

Janelle b (janbenwar) | 13 comments You could try: Sincerely Carter by Whitney G or Chasing Jane by Noelle Adams

message 5: by Jade (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments A book that might make you smile, even laugh is That Guy by Kim Jones That Guy. It's got a heroine whose her own thing and a hero called Jake Swagger and it really cracked me up and I'm a dark reads girl.

If I was looking outside romance, I really would probably go to a 'chidren's book' with all the magic and fantasy - Harry Potter, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe or even something like 'Watership Down'. I'm sure others will have much better suggestions though.

message 6: by Antonella (new)

Antonella Jade wrote: "A book that might make you smile, even laugh is That Guy by Kim JonesThat Guy. It's got a heroine whose her own thing and a hero called Jake Swagger and it really cracked me..."

I have this book for some time now I really want to give it a shot. I keep hearing great things.

message 7: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments I don’t usually read PNR or fantasy, but I’m open for anything except BDSM. 🙂

message 8: by Jade (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:59AM) (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments Antonella wrote: "Jade wrote: "A book that might make you smile, even laugh is That Guy by Kim JonesThat Guy. It's got a heroine whose her own thing and a hero called Jake Swagger and it real..."

I rarely laugh at romance comedies but this one had me laughing loud enough I scared the dog.

message 9: by Antonella (new)

Antonella Lou Lou wrote: "I don’t usually read PNR or fantasy, but I’m open for anything except BDSM. 🙂"

none of these books have it so you are safe..

message 10: by Michellefichelle (new)

Michellefichelle (michskie) | 6 comments have you read any of mariana Zapata's books? I recommend 'The wall of Winnipeg and me' or 'Kulti'
both are amazing slow burn romances that make you feel good inside :)

message 11: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "have you read any of mariana Zapata's books? I recommend 'The wall of Winnipeg and me' or 'Kulti'
both are amazing slow burn romances that make you feel good inside :)"

I've read them all multiple times, unfortunately. Except her new one, The Best Thing. I was saving that for when it comes out on Audible. Is it something that I should reconsider reading immediately as a comfort read?

message 12: by Michellefichelle (new)

Michellefichelle (michskie) | 6 comments The best thing was good read :) but wasnt my favourite. It's up to you.

If you like the wall of Winnipeg and me... I'm currently reading a book called 'marriage for one ' by Ella Maise. That has the marriage for convenience story and it's really good too :)

message 13: by Robin (new)

Robin (robina929) | 3 comments Have you read Ball Peen Hammer by Lauren Rowe? That book made me laugh out loud.

message 14: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments Robin wrote: "Have you read Ball Peen Hammer by Lauren Rowe? That book made me laugh out loud."

I haven't, but I'll put it on my list now. :)

message 15: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments Michelle wrote: "The best thing was good read :) but wasnt my favourite. It's up to you.

If you like the wall of Winnipeg and me... I'm currently reading a book called 'marriage for one ' by Ella Maise. That has t..."

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Ella Maise! My favorite of hers is Jason Thorne. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

message 16: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments Jade wrote: "A book that might make you smile, even laugh is That Guy by Kim JonesThat Guy. It's got a heroine whose her own thing and a hero called Jake Swagger and it really cracked me..."

Thanks! I just got it on Audible. :)

message 17: by Jade (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments Lou Lou wrote: "Jade wrote: "A book that might make you smile, even laugh is That Guy by Kim JonesThat Guy. It's got a heroine whose her own thing and a hero called Jake Swagger and it real..."

I read the book. I really hope it translates well in to Audio.

message 18: by Bruingal (last edited Jan 28, 2020 05:34PM) (new)

Bruingal | 63 comments Lou Lou wrote: "After the news about Kobe, I'm in desperate need of a comfort read. Something that will cause me little to no anxiety about the characters and will help transport me to someplace else where things ..."
I hear you Lou Lou, I'm here in Los Angles and the entire city is sad. I can't stop tearing up and that's all that is talked about on the news for the last 2 days and I don't have a problem with that I just can't get rid of this sadness.
Lou Lou, I recommend The Stopover by T.L. Swan The Stopover (The Miles High Club, #1) by T.L. Swan

message 19: by Jade (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:16PM) (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments Bruingal wrote: "Lou Lou wrote: "After the news about Kobe, I'm in desperate need of a comfort read. Something that will cause me little to no anxiety about the characters and will help transport me to someplace el..."

I loved The Stopover too,!. I read the ARC for TL. It's got some funny parts to it but it also has a lot of bickering and a little angst. Regular romance stuff. But Jameson's a good guy, just a grump at times. I went crazy for it in my review but there were a few people that got sick of the two bickering. I just thought it was funny and part of the dynamic.

message 20: by Bruingal (new)

Bruingal | 63 comments Jade wrote: "Bruingal wrote: "Lou Lou wrote: "After the news about Kobe, I'm in desperate need of a comfort read. Something that will cause me little to no anxiety about the characters and will help transport m..."
I read your review, it was almost as good as the book.

message 21: by Jade (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:32PM) (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments Bruingal wrote: "I hear you Lou Lou, I'm here in Los Angles and the entire city is sad. I can't stop tearing up and that's all that is talked about on the news for the last 2 days and I don't have a problem with that I just can't get rid of this sadness."

I'm in LA too, Bruingal. I have a special news app on my phone that goes through all media sources and I got the alert before they started broadcasting. I was terrified his kids were on board because he was known to take the older ones up often. When I tweeted Kobe had gone down and possibly kids on board, I got one asshole that actually said and I'm not kidding: "Don't start speculating. If he did take children, he didn't take all of them." I was so shocked. I replied back that one child was one child too many. I guess I got lucky because I was retweeted 13.5k times and only two assholes said crap but the insensitivity - besides the tragedy of Kobe, the athlete and Gigi, his heir - A woman just lost her Husband and her Daughter! Children just lost a Father and a Sister. It's beyond tragic. My prayers and thoughts have been with them consistently since Sunday morning.

People really cared about him. My Instagram only has 200 something followers but yet over 600 people clicked on my post on Kobe. Los Angeles is the most spread out city and yet everyone united for once. That's the Love we had for him and the power he had in this city. I'm still praying for Vanessa and a 7 month old that will never have the opportunity to know her Dad. And he was a great father, simply great.

message 22: by Bruingal (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:38PM) (new)

Bruingal | 63 comments Jade wrote: "Bruingal wrote: "I hear you Lou Lou, I'm here in Los Angles and the entire city is sad. I can't stop tearing up and that's all that is talked about on the news for the last 2 days and I don't have ..."
All-day I've just watched tributes and read articles. On the news, they just showed the truck with the flatbed traveling on the freeway with the remains of the helicopter😢 You know L.A. has always been a Laker town and Kobe was the ultimate Laker. I can't imagine how Vanessa is feeling. Blessings to all the families of the victims.🙏🏾

message 23: by Jade (new)

Jade Violet (goodreadscomjade_violet) | 49 comments I hear you. I had to turn off all media. I went to Staples many times but I didn't know him and yet I have been shattered since Sunday. And I can't stop thinking about Vanessa - I hope this city cradles her and the family with the love they had for him.

message 24: by Bruingal (new)

Bruingal | 63 comments I went to the Forum many times to see the Laker and Staples several times. I even went to a couple of championship parades. We heard so much about Kobe for 20 years that he was almost like a family member. I remember when Magic said that he was HIV+ my phone didn't stop ringing all day.

message 25: by Ann (new)

Ann | 3 comments I know it’s been a while since you posted but just wanted to say Lucy Score is my go to author for laughs and comfort. Always start any of her books making sure it’s the first if a series book. Her characters are wonderful.

message 26: by Lou Lou (new)

Lou Lou | 43 comments Ann wrote: "I know it’s been a while since you posted but just wanted to say Lucy Score is my go to author for laughs and comfort. Always start any of her books making sure it’s the first if a series book. Her..."

Thanks Ann! I'll give Lucy Score a try!