The Undefeated
This topic is about The Undefeated
Mock Caldecott 2020 > 2020 Randolph Caldecott Medal

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 266 comments Mod
The 2020 awards have been announced!

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander The 2020 Caldecott is awarded to The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander

With 3 Honors awarded to:

Bear Came Along by Richard T. Morris Bear Came Along written by Richard T. Morris and illustrated by LeUyen Pham.

Double Bass Blues by Andrea J. Loney Double Bass Blues written by Andrea J. Loney and illustrated by Rudy Gutierrez

Going Down Home with Daddy by Kelly Starling Lyons Going Down Home with Daddy written by Kelly Starling Lyons and illustrated by Daniel Minter

What do you think of their selections?

message 2: by Laura (last edited Jan 27, 2020 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Harrison | 358 comments I am a fan of all of these titles. Considering how many fabulous picture books were created in 2019, I have to say I am disappointed there weren't more honor books awarded. A Stone Sat Still by Brendan Wenzel, Saturday by Oge Mora and Fry Bread by Kevin Noble Maillard were exceptional. Fry Bread did win one award but a Caldecott would have been spectacular. Manhattan by Jennifer Thermes was another worthy favorite. I am thrilled that Kevin Henkes won the Children’s Literature Legacy Award (formerly known as the Laura Ingalls Wilder Award). Henkes truly deserves it!

message 3: by ASE (new) - rated it 5 stars

ASE | 21 comments I'm so excited for The Undefeated! I feel like I've talked it up to like everyone I've seen since it came out. I also loved Double Bass Blues and Going Down Home with Daddy, but I'd have loved to see Saturday by Oge Mora get some notice.

The Undefeated really swept up the awards! Caldecott Medal, Coretta Scott King Illustrator, and a Newbery Honor.

message 4: by Beverly (last edited Jan 27, 2020 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 384 comments I was also disappointed that A Stone Sat Still did not even get a Caldecott Honor mention. I agree with Laura that more honors should have been selected. Otherwise, Kadir Nelson did deserve his Caldecott award and the others Undefeated received.

message 5: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments Disappointed “A Stone Sat Still” was excluded.
Love Bear! “Undefeated” just isn’t checked out by kids. It is good, but obviously a choice that a handful of adults think all kids need.

message 6: by Joyce (new)

Joyce | 1 comments There is a difference between a picture book and illustrated book. Undefeated is a wonderful illustrated book but not a picture book.

message 7: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments Seems like all the picks have a social message to them.
I’m not saying we all don’t need these messages, I’m saying that this is suppose to be a children’s book award, and besides “Bear..”, children aren’t going to choose these.
Can’t we just have a fun book that has great illustrations but be a real children’s book?
Must every single “winner” book have to have some sort of social message?
So fed up.
These awards are for the few adults who choose them so they can feel good about themselves.
I’ve actually heard one past committee person say that they wanted to choose “important” books.
Missing the point.

message 8: by Ms. B (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ms. B | 17 comments Laura wrote: "I am a fan of all of these titles. Considering how many fabulous picture books were created in 2019, I have to say I am disappointed there weren't more honor books awarded. A Stone Sat Still by Bre..."
I believe Fry Bread won 2 awards; American Indian Literature Picture Book Honor and Robert F. Sibert Award for most distinguished informational book. Even though it didn't win the Caldecott as I hoped it would, I was happy to see it receive as much recogntion as it did.

Laura Harrison | 358 comments Ms. B wrote: "Laura wrote: "I am a fan of all of these titles. Considering how many fabulous picture books were created in 2019, I have to say I am disappointed there weren't more honor books awarded. A Stone Sa..."

Fry Bread did indeed win two awards. It was also selected by the jury for The Original Art exhibition at the Society of Illustrators in NYC. It is a remarkable work.

Laura Harrison | 358 comments Joyce wrote: "There is a difference between a picture book and illustrated book. Undefeated is a wonderful illustrated book but not a picture book."

Your point is valid. It is a stunningly illustrated adult/inspirational gift book.

message 11: by Laura (last edited Jan 29, 2020 03:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura Harrison | 358 comments Caren wrote: "Disappointed “A Stone Sat Still” was excluded.
Love Bear! “Undefeated” just isn’t checked out by kids. It is good, but obviously a choice that a handful of adults think all kids need."

There were poor sales for this title in the children's dept. of my bookstore. No matter how many different displays it was featured. The kids weren't interested and low interest among parents.

Niki  | 49 comments My students were excited that The Undefeated won! When I read it to them aloud I made sure to talk about the events/people on each page and why they were important. I also talked about the illustrations. My 2nd and 3rd graders liked it the best out of the six books we read for our Mock Caldecott unit.

Niki  | 49 comments I am also happy to see more books are being chosen that show diverse experiences since that is still lacking in general in children's publishing.

Niki  | 49 comments I do agree that I'm a fan of more honor books and would have liked to see Saturday get an honor.

message 15: by Jenn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenn (jennmonk) | 26 comments I (and my Mock Caldecott group) liked all of these books. I am so happy that Kadir Nelson finally won a Caldecott award. I personally think A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis deserved it years ago.

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 384 comments Niki (Daydream Reader) wrote: "I am also happy to see more books are being chosen that show diverse experiences since that is still lacking in general in children's publishing."

As a children's librarian for 40 years, I have to disagree that "diverse experiences" are lacking in general in children's publishing. There has been a flood of books for almost 2 decades featuring African Americans, Latinos, and other ethnic groups.

message 17: by Judy (new)

Judy Eggemeier | 4 comments https://www.slj.com/www.slj.com/?deta...
Diverse experiences and children ARE lacking in children’s books. I respectfully encourage you to read the research.

message 18: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 38 comments The Undefeated certainly is a powerful book (especially that page with the slaves on the ship where there is no text - my heart thudded so hard when I first saw that - sometimes, silence CAN speak louder than words...), and I'm really happy that Kadir Nelson finally got the gold! I, too, would have liked to see our other two winners get some love (with more honors awarded), though I did like Going Down Home and Bear Came Along. Looking forward to reading Double Bass when I get it from the library.

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 384 comments Judy wrote: "https://www.slj.com/www.slj.com/?deta...
Diverse experiences and children ARE lacking in children’s books. I respectfully encourage you to read t..."

The link was a dead-end. I will have to disagree with SLJ as well, as through the years I worked as a children's librarian, I saw hundreds of diverse books being ordered for the various libraries in which I worked.

Laura Giessler | 48 comments Caren wrote: "Seems like all the picks have a social message to them.
I’m not saying we all don’t need these messages, I’m saying that this is suppose to be a children’s book award, and besides “Bear..”, childre..."

Does a book have a social message if its characters are not white? I see Going Down Home with Daddy as a book about kids that kids can relate to. Yes, it's about African American kids, but does that mean it has a "social message"? I agree that Undefeated is more of a (beautiful) book with illustrations as opposed to a children's picture book. Can't speak to Double Bass as I haven't been able to get a hold of it yet. Thanks for all of your comments--I enjoy hearing your thoughts.

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 384 comments Going Down Home with Daddy
I must have missed the social message. When I read it, I thought it was about a boy worried about finding a gift to give to his great-grandmother.

message 22: by Caren (new)

Caren (carenb) | 68 comments I didn’t mean ALL of this years winners, I meant more and more they are choosing “social “messages “ books.
I love Kwame and “Undefeated”, I just don’t think my students will check it out, nor have they checked out many winners from the past few years, though I always share them.
I just think adults are choosing the winners based on their “I want to make an important choice”.

message 23: by Beverly (last edited Feb 05, 2020 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 384 comments Caren wrote: "I just think adults are choosing the winners based on their “I want to make an important choice”...

I certainly agree with that! I am glad that they chose at least one "fun" book--Bear Came Along.

message 24: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 266 comments Mod
We didn't read Double Bass Blues this year.

Do you agree with the committee? Is it distinguished?

Laura Harrison | 358 comments I agree it is distinguished. The artist is amazing. I think he did the cover art for a Carlos Santana album as well.