Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 576 comments Mod
The awards are in!

New Kid by Jerry Craft 2020 Newbery Award goes to: New Kid by Jerry Craft

With Four Newbery Honor books:

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander

Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker Scary Stories for Young Foxes by Christian McKay Heidicker

Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga

Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams Genesis Begins Again by Alicia D. Williams

What did you think of this years winners?

Czechgirl | 214 comments I loved all of them. Great choices!

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments I've got some reading to do, as I've read only two of the five.

Shella | 182 comments Just finished Scary Stories for Young Foxes last Saturday- Fantastic! That one was a sleeper as I had not heard about it much except from Betsy- thanks for putting that book on my radar!!

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 18 comments I did like New Kid quite a lot, but I was sad that The Line Tender didn't make the list.

message 6: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim (kimconnett) | 7 comments I was surprised that Line Tender didn't get any love. I need to read Scary Stories for Young Foxes. Time to start 2021 books!!

Louie | 47 comments I also have only read two out of the five, but I enjoyed reading New Kid and I loved reading Other Words For Home. I'm surprised that I didn't see Coyote Sunrise on any lists though. So is the first graphic novel then to win the Newbery Medal? Since in past years Graphic Novels have only won honors.

Shari | 85 comments I am absolutely delighted by this year's winners. They are the best choices in years! Our group was in the minority with Coyote Sunrise. It never appealed to me. I feel somewhat vindicated.

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jan 28, 2020 10:13AM) (new) - added it

Laura Harrison | 412 comments I wish The Line Tender and Beverly Right Here were winners. I am over the moon that Scary Stories for Young Foxes was recognized. I have been recommending this title since its release date. Btw, Christian McKay Heidicker has an April 2020 middle grade release. It is under the pseudonym William Shivering. The title is Thieves of Weirdwood. Looking forward to reading it! Other Words for Home is another favorite title of mine that I am delighted won. Genesis Begins again is a very worthy, amazing book quite deserving of its honor award. The kids, parents, teachers, booksellers, librarians should be overall content with the winners. I know there is some controversy over a graphic novel winning the gold and a picture book with little text winning an honor. Personally, I didn't think Undefeated was eligible for a Caldecott or Newbery since it was previously used material. That is what I thought, anyway. But they are all great, great selections.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 87 comments I also was disappointed that Line Tender did not receive any love, but I liked a few of the choices and a couple I have yet to read!

message 11: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Jensen | 168 comments Like many people, I'm sad that my favorite book got absolutely nothing.

On the other hand, I think the committee made some pretty strong choices this year. New Kid and Undefeated were near the top of my list. Other Words for Home is okay. I've only read two chapters of Genesis Begins Again, but I liked them and I look forward to finishing the book.

I agree with Sherri. These are the best choices the committee has made in years.

message 12: by Shella (last edited Jan 28, 2020 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shella | 182 comments I liked Undefeated- can someone explain how a picture book with little text becomes a Newbery winner? I not unhappy it won- I just don’t understand since a picture book is very different from a graphic novel or chapter book to meet the distinguished criteria. Thanks ahead for your wonderful insights to share with my students.

message 13: by Caren (new) - rated it 1 star

Caren (carenb) | 33 comments Not happy at all.

message 14: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (jennmonk) | 41 comments So happy! I love these books and my Mock Newbery liked these books. Glad they picked a "horror" book and a non-fiction/poetry book. Definitely think that New Kid is a graphic with outstanding text.

message 15: by Tami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tami (mstamireads) | 16 comments I am thrilled to see New Kid as the winner—a 5 star read for me. Glad also to see Genesis Begins Again & Other Words for Home receive honors!

Elaine Fultz, SLMS, Teacher Librarian, MLS | 7 comments How does a powerful picture book with short text win Newbery? Poetry.

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 260 comments The pictures in The Undefeated were striking, an Caldecott worthy, but Newbery? I didn’t think there was enough text to make that call.

message 18: by Annisha (new) - added it

Annisha | 1 comments Excellent choices! :)

Tamara | 28 comments I had nearly finished all of them when a student wanted to read Other Words for Home. That said, my favorite of the bunch by far is Scary Stories for Young Foxes. Better yet, my 5th graders love it!

message 20: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Jensen | 168 comments I guess these awards re-open the graphic novel/picture book debate.

I have generally not been in favor of these books winning. I was particularly against Last Stop on Market Street.

I feel better about this particular graphic novel and picture book, mostly just because I like them more. That's kind of hypocritical, but there you go. I am genuinely excited to share these books with my Middle Schoolers.

message 21: by Barb (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barb | 34 comments Loved The Bridge Home, Planet Earth is Blue, and The Poison Eaters. None were recognized this year (at least not by Newbery). Graphic novel and a picture book (both wonderful) were surprises to me. Read and liked them both. Looking forward to reading Genesis Begins Again and Scary Stories for Young Foxes. And of course, potential 2021 Newbery titles! ❤️📚

message 22: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 576 comments Mod
We didn't read Scary Stories for Young Foxes this year.
Do you agree with the committee? Is it distinguished?

message 23: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Harrison | 412 comments I recommended Scary Stories for Young Foxes a couple times in our discussions. Only one group member seemed to have read it also. It was one of my favorite books of 2019. I am so thrilled the committee gave it an honor. It will be a long time favorite among children, teachers etc.

Shella | 182 comments I hope we will pay attention more to these types of stories. I thought we picked way too many realistic fiction books with similar themes. I read Scary Stories for Young Foxes the weekend before the announcement. I would like us to read a few books from not the popular stream. Some of us love certain authors and think their next book will be distinguished too- that is not always the case. There are newer authors with smaller publishers that need this platform to get some notice. I hope the ones that are the hidden gems will be on our list this year.

message 25: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura Harrison | 412 comments Shella wrote: "I hope we will pay attention more to these types of stories. I thought we picked way too many realistic fiction books with similar themes. I read Scary Stories for Young Foxes the weekend before th..."

I absolutely agree.

Czechgirl | 214 comments I read the book a few months ago and really liked it. Nobody in our class had read any of the Newbery honors, so they chose Scary Stories for Young Foxes for their next read aloud. The book is a perfect read aloud (and I teach sixth graders). My students agree it’s a Newbery honor book. One student said it is actually better than New Kid, but they love New Kid so much, that they are glad New Kid won the top award.

Julie | 27 comments I just finished reading The New Kid and I wasn't impressed at all. Very didactic and lacking nuance. Similar to Last Stop on Market Street, I think this title was chosen for its message and not its writing.

message 28: by Phil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phil Jensen | 168 comments Julie wrote: "I just finished reading The New Kid and I wasn't impressed at all. Very didactic and lacking nuance. Similar to Last Stop on Market Street, I think this title was chosen for its message and not its..."

What do you wish they had chosen instead?