LitRPG Forum discussion

Short Adventures

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (new)

Ben Sanders | 2 comments Hi everyone! I just recently found this group and have been reading through some of the posts and don’t think I’ve seen this asked, so sorry if it’s been answered elsewhere. But what are your thoughts on a series of shorter stories, almost bite sized adventures, each with their own contained story and a linking overall plot to connect them all? I know with LitRPG being heavy in Fantasy stories tend to be longer, but I’ve been working on a few stories that follow each other, with each being a minimum of about 30k words to 45k, so a LitRPG Novella of sorts. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this and I hope you’re doing well.

message 2: by Troy (new)

Troy Osgood | 10 comments the idea has merit but readers of the genre tend to want longer stories

it might work better to release on Royal Road.

message 3: by Travis (new)

Travis (softcon) | 56 comments Ben wrote: "Hi everyone! I just recently found this group and have been reading through some of the posts and don’t think I’ve seen this asked, so sorry if it’s been answered elsewhere. But what are your thoug..."

This is exactly what the adventures on fragged are. I have episodes 6 and 8, because I caught those when they were free, but as far as I know, none of them were released on kindle unlimited, so I never read any of them. To be honest, I'm not a fan of this kind of thing, just because you can't make them cost effective until they're collected into a short story collection, or a box set or something similar. Very few people are going to pay 2 or 3 bucks for short pieces when that same 2 or 3 bucks gets them a full length book. Moody tends to do this, they will write several installments in a story, then release them in 100 episode chunks, and sell them for 3.99 or something similar, as well as offering them on the kindle unlimited program, and I find that setup works quite well, at least for me, I have no idea how it works for moody, so your mileage may vary.

message 4: by Billy (new)

Billy Munich | 12 comments I haven't read any LitRPG that was setup that way, but the Fred, the Vampire Accountant series The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant by Drew Hayes Drew Hayes has done it very well. It isn't a LitRPG, but Hayes wrote an excellent gamelit series also.

Each book is released containing 5 novellas that are independent of the others, but all work to further the overall plot. As Travis mentioned above, they wouldn't work at 2-3 bucks each. As a set of 5, they're great.

message 5: by Ben (new)

Ben Sanders | 2 comments Just wanted to drop in real quick and thank everyone who responded to this so far. I’ll work on adding valuable words to the project seeing as shorter stories aren’t too desired. I appreciate the input!

message 6: by Roger (new)

Roger | 18 comments To be honest I think it would be refreshing to have a litRPG story that actually ends instead of the hundreds of series where the author clearly hasn't though of a way to end the series and it just goes on and on and on.

message 7: by Dumitru (new)

Dumitru Toma | 12 comments I can't afford to pay for the amount I am reading so Kindle Unlimited is my fix. Usually if the book it's under 400 pages I don't bother, unless the synopsis/reviews are great. Under 400 pages only if I have nothing else and I really want to read something.